Time for new tires<

Upland80

Adventurer
Went from a 285 General to a 315 Toyo and could not be happier. A 295 might be the best of both worlds for your needs, but the Toyo in any size would be my choice!
DSC_2200_zps14419c44.jpg

DSC_3493_zpsa3a0bd4b.jpg

Ramjet

Explorer
I just put the KO2 on my FJ two days ago. Ride quality is smooth not harsh and they balanced really well. Again, I've only had them on for about 40 miles so far, but I do enjoy them.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the TOYO's 295/75/16 I run them on my Excursion and have been great.

I just got off the phone with Discount Tire, and the Toyo AT II on a 295/75/16 are on BACK ORDER!

Back to squre one!

They have the BFG KO2 in stock on a 315/75/16 and I can have them mounted today, however I am unsure of the size for my vehicle pulling the trailer on the mountains at hwy speeds!

Of course they also have the KO2's in 285/75/16 which I thing are too small? for my vehicle!

Maybe the Cooper ST Maxx 285/75/16 at 32.9 will do and just live with the noise!

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Should I give the General Grabber AT2 a try on a 295? Do not know that much about the Generals in the Offroad Terrain! How tough are these tires, seem smooth and quiet?

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Thats what I am going with...the gentleman at Discount told me that they are very similar to the BF KO2s...However, I know nothing about tires:) I like the weight of each tire as well. Good luck!

I just got off the phone with Discount Tire, and the Toyo AT II on a 295/75/16 are on BACK ORDER!

Back to squre one!

They have the BFG KO2 in stock on a 315/75/16 and I can have them mounted today, however I am unsure of the size for my vehicle pulling the trailer on the mountains at hwy speeds!

Of course they also have the KO2's in 285/75/16 which I thing are too small? for my vehicle!

Maybe the Cooper ST Maxx 285/75/16 at 32.9 will do and just live with the noise!

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Should I give the General Grabber AT2 a try on a 295? Do not know that much about the Generals in the Offroad Terrain! How tough are these tires, seem smooth and quiet?

Uncle Beer

Observer
I just recently read the A/T tire test on expo portal main page. The BFG faired to be the last place finisher of the tires they tested. Cooper and Toyos finished very well. Might take a quick ten min read.

I've run Toyos in the past and was very happy with them. My current BFGs are a tad noisy, but they've worked well for me. My buddy runs cooper ST Maxx and loves them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JKU87

Adventurer
I was in the same boat last month when I was shopping for new tires for my JKU. My rig is my daily driver and when it leaves pavement it's usually out exploring trails. I won't rock crawl and don't intend to. My JKU had BFG All Terrains in 245/75/17 and I definitely wanted a more aggressive tire that would do better in muck and mud. Some of the Jeep guys on this forum introduced me to the Cooper ST Maxx and it's the tire I ended up going with in 255/80/17. Pizza cutters and measure out to a 33". Haven't gotten them dirty yet but they've been great on road and quiet. I love them so far and would recommend them to anyone that wants a happy medium between a MT and AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcoy

Adventurer

I have ST Maxxs on my FJCruiser and they are quieter than BFG KOs and Goodyear Duramaxes (what I run on my other vehicles). I am told they have "noise cancelling" technology to achieve this. Nevertheless, I think of them as being as quiet as road tires. That seems to be the consensus of everyone else on the various forums that run them.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have ST Maxxs on my FJCruiser and they are quieter than BFG KOs and Goodyear Duramaxes (what I run on my other vehicles). I am told they have "noise cancelling" technology to achieve this. Nevertheless, I think of them as being as quiet as road tires. That seems to be the consensus of everyone else on the various forums that run them.

I read a review on the STMaxx and you are correct, they are supposed to be quiter then the BFG KO by 4 DB's!

I may just go and buy them! I need to have them install before I depart to the EXPo and do Moab!

Ramjet

Explorer
The things I look at when purchasing a tire is durability and longevity. My last set of BFG A/T KO went 100k miles. I know, not recommended, but that's the way things are sometimes. I can tell you this. They stayed balanced, never had a puncture, and never had uneven wear. That's why when I did have the money, I bought another set, but upgraded to the KO2. They may not be as quiet as x or grippy as b, but when you have my trust and you keep my family safe, that's all I need to know. So my point is this, don't go with what everyone else tells you they "like", go with what you trust your life in. Cheers.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
The things I look at when purchasing a tire is durability and longevity. My last set of BFG A/T KO went 100k miles. I know, not recommended, but that's the way things are sometimes. I can tell you this. They stayed balanced, never had a puncture, and never had uneven wear. That's why when I did have the money, I bought another set, but upgraded to the KO2. They may not be as quiet as x or grippy as b, but when you have my trust and you keep my family safe, that's all I need to know. So my point is this, don't go with what everyone else tells you they "like", go with what you trust your life in. Cheers.

I could not have said it better, and the winner is.............................

The GoodYear DURATRAC on a 285/75/16 which equals to a 33.1" tire, a little smaller the my Dynapro MT 295/75/16 but it is quieter!

Still some noise, but is less then before, need to put some miles to really appreciate differences! I can tell that it is softer time will tell!

Thank you all for your input and let the adventures begin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online