Time for an engine rebuild?

twocommas

Observer
I am planning a long road trip in the Monty (~4,000 miles) and I am wondering if it would be smart to get an engine rebuilt before the trip. It's going to have to be done sooner or later right? I have been burning about 1qt of oil every 750 miles, and there is an intermittent knocking sound coming from the engine as well.

Has anyone done one at a mechanic, how much did it cost?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yeah, anything more than a quart between oil changes is getting pretty bad, I would definitely get it rebuilt before a trip like that.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As for cost, pick up the phone and start dialing local shops, because what Joe paid for one in Atlanta will be much different from what Mike paid in LA. Not to mention you have many different variables such as if you will remove the engine yourself and if you will remove the head and/or accessories before it goes to the shop. So in other words, asking for what others have paid is not really a good indicator at all.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Yeah, I agree. Especially if you said you hear an intermittent knocking. The way you are describing that sounds like it burns so much oil it results in metal expansion that is causing the knocking. If it is a rod/crank bearing then you are looking at a friction/heat weld that will instantly seize your motor. I've had that happen on one of my fresh 2.6L rebuilds. My situation was a result of installing the rod/crank bearing incorrectly. However, you are describing the oil burning, and an intermittent knocking sound. That is a result of friction & heat buildup. I would highly recommend that you get the engine rebuilt prior to this 4000 mile trip.

twocommas

Observer
As for cost, pick up the phone and start dialing local shops, because what Joe paid for one in Atlanta will be much different from what Mike paid in LA. Not to mention you have many different variables such as if you will remove the engine yourself and if you will remove the head and/or accessories before it goes to the shop. So in other words, asking for what others have paid is not really a good indicator at all.

I called around and the best I got was $2300 for a rebuild. They take the car, take the motor out, do all the labor. Comes with an 8 month warranty, whatever that means. The shop has no reviews on yelp so I am hesitant.

Alternately, maybe I should just get valve guides and stems replaced? I did a big overhaul when I got the car, so all other seals have been replaced, and there are no drips anywhere that I can see. It must be the valve guides/stems! Right?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Yelp??? Are you aware that Yelp is an extortion business? They only post positive reviews of your business if you subscribe to their service. That's why the number one reviewed restaurant on Yelp in Maui is "Joe's Crab Shack". Joe's Crab Shack??? Are you freaking serious? Why is a chain restaurant that can be found anywhere in north America be rated better than any of the local restaurants?

Could it be that the chain restaurant has a bigger marketing budget for yelp than the local places?

Don't believe everything you read. Especially if it comes from me...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

twocommas

Observer
Yelp??? Are you aware that Yelp is an extortion business? They only post positive reviews of your business if you subscribe to their service. That's why the number one reviewed restaurant on Yelp in Maui is "Joe's Crab Shack". Joe's Crab Shack??? Are you freaking serious? Why is a chain restaurant that can be found anywhere in north America be rated better than any of the local restaurants?

Could it be that the chain restaurant has a bigger marketing budget for yelp than the local places?

Don't believe everything you read. Especially if it comes from me...

This is an interesting tangent... :sombrero:
I have never been in Maui, but it would take more than 1000 5 star reviews to get me into a Joe's Crab Shack!
I do find yelp useful for new or small restaurants. Especially in the LA area where there are so many. Search by "most reviewed" instead of by "rating". If it's got the most reviews, but they are only 3.5 stars, it is still a great restaurant! That's how I found Pok Pok and Acropolis :Wow1: in Portland.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Sorry about that Yelp rant. Do you have the means to pull the engine yourself? Perform the overhaul yourself?

twocommas

Observer
Sorry about that Yelp rant. Do you have the means to pull the engine yourself? Perform the overhaul yourself?

I have to trust all labor to a mechanic.

I called many shops in the LA area, and some are also recommending a JDM engine swap instead of a rebuild. If I want the most long-term optimal solution, would it be with an engine swap or a rebuild?

GFO

Observer
I've heard good and bad for JDM engines, I assume it will be one of those 40-60k mile units from Japan. While you're getting an engine with only 40-60k miles, you don't know the history of the engine. Maybe the previous owner(s) did proper maintenance, maybe not.

Checked jdmenginedepot.com, they currently have one 6G74 dual cam sans the transmission for $1,199.00, just so you get an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior