Time for a New Truck--MPG is a Priority

Chorky

Observer
I could do the 2.7 with the 6.5 bed in super crew, but no 4x4 only 4x2 and I need 4x4. I drove the 2.7 today, while I was looking around it was very nice. Wish I could get in in 4x4, 6.5 bed and supercrew.

Have you considered the 3.5 as others suggested? I'm just curious - if 5 mpg difference is a deal breaker then is a truck really even the right vehicle?

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Ford’s 3.5L is a good motor. I had a Raptor (I know, not exactly the same 3.5 as a standard F150), and the fuel economy and the power always impressed me.

stevo_pct

I have a 5.0L V8 F150. That's a good engine and you can get one in a 6.5' bed 4x4 super crew. I get 20-21 mpg empty on the highway in the Colorado mountains. It has plenty of power too (similar to the 2.7 EB but not as much as the 3.5) - as long as you make sure to get the 3.73 gearing in the rear axle.

BrianPatrick

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of the input. I am now looking at some other options in the 3/4 ton range. My wife did the math for me and I realized the 6 or 7 mpg savings is not as much as a big deal as I thought. I hope this helps someone else who is thinking about a fuel efficient truck. Considering I occasionally toy my 4K # RZR with me, it makes sense to stick with the 3/4 ton.

I will come back and post what I decide and why, but who knows I might have another post with questions about a 3/4 ton truck. I still plan on a 6
bed on longer and using a topper/shell or one of the pop up truck campers like GFC, AT Overland or OVRLND. I still need the bed of my truck as a truck, so these are some options.

Grassland

gas is $1.50 a liter right now where I live and it might be $1.80 later this year
But I still need to tow a 5000# trailer and also haul 800# of crap at the same time, so I've just accepted the fact I'm going to hemorrhage money while doing it. Especially while on 33" ATs

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
gas is $1.50 a liter right now where I live and it might be $1.80 later this year
But I still need to tow a 5000# trailer and also haul 800# of crap at the same time, so I've just accepted the fact I'm going to hemorrhage money while doing it. Especially while on 33" ATs
Yep. I've had the same thoughts here too. I think we're at 1.43 right now. And I think April our carbon tax that's added to gas goes from 8.8 cents per litre to 11 cents per litre. So that alone will have an impact on our travelling costs.... ?

We'll see if switching from a 5.0 w/ a 6 speed and 3:73's to a 3.5 w/ a 10 speed and 3.55's will make a difference.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Yep. I've had the same thoughts here too. I think we're at 1.43 right now. And I think April our carbon tax that's added to gas goes from 8.8 cents per litre to 11 cents per litre. So that alone will have an impact on our travelling costs.... ?

We'll see if switching from a 5.0 w/ a 6 speed and 3:73's to a 3.5 w/ a 10 speed and 3.55's will make a difference.
I doubt it. My 10 speed 2.3 3.73 ranger doesn’t even seem to get better than the 2.7 f150

phsycle

Adventurer
I doubt you’d see any meaningful difference in MPG. Especially if you end up modifying the truck. Stock, gentle highway driving, I’d bet you’re ~2mpg improvement. Nothing to write home about.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I doubt you’d see any meaningful difference in MPG. Especially if you end up modifying the truck. Stock, gentle highway driving, I’d bet you’re ~2mpg improvement. Nothing to write home about.
Nah. No mods planned here. I optioned the truck to be equipped for how I believe we would realistically use it. (That's what kept me from ordering a Tremor, haha)

My normal commute is 68 miles (both ways) of freeway / highway with cruise set to 65. So thinking I should be able to stay out of the turbos.

68 miles (just work commute so doesn't include any other running around) 5 days per week... that 2 MPG at $1.43 per litre may add up to some savings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles