Time for a New Truck--MPG is a Priority

deserteagle56

Adventurer
You have to take the IKE mpg reading with a grain of salt as it is reported readings from the truck. They might be wildly off.

^ This. I have several vehicles. I am a data nerd. There is a log book in each vehicle where I log everything, including fuel purchases. I enter all the fuel data into Excel spreadsheets that calculate the true fuel mileage. None of my dash displays are truly accurate as far as fuel mileage - always off by 1 or 2 mpg compared to the Excel spreadsheet.

You can't tell me that the short run, the few miles, they do for this test will give an accurate mpg reading. For an accurate reading they'd need to have the fuel drawn from a calibrated container so they could measure exactly how much fuel was used over the exact distance.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
You can't tell me that the short run, the few miles, they do for this test will give an accurate mpg reading.

It should be pretty consistent though if they are comparing different versions of the same truck. I also wonder if these mpg gauges could be very accurate... I mean they are measuring fuel and air, so it seems like they could be. But they are just "optimistic" to make owners happy about the number. Another poor mpg test is when TFL does a short loop, and relies on the pump accuracy when there is only 4 gallons or so. Controlled tests are difficult which is why they are hardly ever done.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
They're all over San Diego. Most look like like they were just detailed. We have to drive 80 miles to Anza Borrego to use them or go to Baja.
Yep they are always spotless here too. And to be fair, it's not just Tacos. There's all makes and model I see like that.

My cousin has the BabyMax and loves it. It has impressive power and efficiency for its size. If it were me (pause to dress myself in armor) I'd go right for the 5.3. Very reliable, more than adequate power in a 1500, and decent efficiency while drinking 87 octane. Our 2010 Burb with 185k miles and the 5.3 still pulls strong and doles out 18mpg "overloaded" with stuff on our trips.

Addendum: the 2010 has the "ancient" 6-speed, I believe the new trucks have a 10-speed which would improve smooth shifting and efficiency.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Does anyone here have an experience with GM 6.6 gas? Came out 2-3 years ago.

Also why is that GM only offers one option the rear gear (3.75) unlike Ford (3 options) and RAM (2?), plus 6 speed as oppose to Ford's 10 speed or Ram's 8 speed
It seems that GM is always behind. They try hard and fall behind.
I do like how new GM HD looks however.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Also why is that GM only offers one option the rear gear (3.75) unlike Ford (3 options) and RAM (2?), plus 6 speed as oppose to Ford's 10 speed or Ram's 8 speed
Cost vs profit GM takes the low road more often than not.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Would you mind to elaborate this for a bit?

Does GM prefers to make money on cheaply designed stuff?
GM is slow to invest in modern technology. They bring up the rear in model changes driven by technology changes that improve mileage.

Prime example even when they Co developed the 10 spd they only offer it in limited number of vehicles because their engine line up lacks modern updates to take advantage of the 10 spd regarding mileage improvements.
GMs EV efforts or even just hybrid efforts are way behind.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Prime example even when they Co developed the 10 spd they only offer it in limited number of vehicles because their engine line up lacks modern updates to take advantage of the 10 spd regarding mileage improvements.
GMs EV efforts or even just hybrid efforts are way behind.

I think now I got what you meant. Thank you.
It does seam that this new 6.6 makes a good mpg... there are videos people achieving like 21mpg (driving empty at 65 mph).

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think now I got what you meant. Thank you.
It does seam that this new 6.6 makes a good mpg... there are videos people achieving like 21mpg (driving empty at 65 mph).
I do like that the GM HD's offer AutoTrac 4WD. Kinda handy for those of us in the snow belt where it's winter 8 months of the year, lol

Explorerinil

Observer

Your the first person I have heard that likes the looks of the new gm trucks. But your right, gm is always behind in innovation.

billiebob

Define good looking Chevy
s-l1600.jpeg

Define good looking Ford
1601939841739e7b2479455bd4IMG_4164-scaled.jpeg

Define good looking Dodge
91136270_3628550933852662_7798156550643646464_n.jpeg

Define awesome looking truck....
s-l1600 2.jpeg

Which one would you love to own ?

On gas mileage claims I have always found the EPA rating to be optimistic but fair.
In 40 years, i have never beat than the EPA Rating.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I do like that the GM HD's offer AutoTrac 4WD. Kinda handy for those of us in the snow belt where it's winter 8 months of the year, lol
Yeah that thing is very handy. My friend's dad has an XL F-150 which almost always stays in H4 in winter. (North of Toronto, around Barrie)

Your the first person I have heard that likes the looks of the new gm trucks. But your right, gm is always behind in innovation.
lol. The Chevy 2500 is ugly, but the GM 2500 is OK. Interior is bad in both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz