Time for a new project - the search is on

So my diesel Landcruiser is down for engine repairs. I need something to drive in the meantime. So I thought ... why not start my next project?

I have wanted to build a camper of some sort that's a bit more spacious than a 60 series landcruiser. I'm thinking an E350 is the way to go. I'm looking at several options, some with the 7.3l IDI and others with the 7.3L powerstroke diesel. I'm shooting for cheap here, so slightly rusty older trucks that aren't built out much are my bag. So far I've found a few options in the ~$5k range, but I'm flexible depending on the vehicle.

I'm going to make the leap soon although I am completely new to this platform and engine. I'm going to have to take some risks but I'm doing as much reading as I can in the meantime.

My only hard vehicle requirements are:
  • Good mechanical condition. I don't mind doing some maintenance (water pump, belts, fluids, etc) but I don't have time to investigate mystery issues
  • Ready for a 5000 mile roadtrip
  • Room for 2 guys and gear
  • Diesel engine

Beyond that, I'm not sure what I want. Ideally 4x4 with a pop top but I'll take what I can get.

The search is on!

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
That's a good wish list. Hope you find one, I've moved over from a 60 as well ;)

Sent via flux capacitor

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
For cheap I'd go with a 85-1991. They'll be less expensive due to age and being the older body style. They'll have the 6.9 or 7.3(87 and later) IDI diesels which are great for lasting forever (300k+), running on anything (very popular for veggie oil, WMO, etc), and being cheap to maintain (full set of injectors is like ~$250). They're not as powerful as the later engines but they're reliable, simple (need only 2 wires to run), and MUCH easier to work on. Most importantly, HAVE FUN and TAKE PICS.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
it will take a lot of searching but you can find a 99 to 2003 with a 7.3 extended body under six grand in good condition I've done it multiple times with great results. Yes you might have to jump on a plane last minute to go get it but it's been worth it each time for me.

vwhammer

Adventurer
Might not be exactly what you are looking for and it is a Little bit of a short notice but if you are in for a road trip then this type of thing might be worth checking out.
I drove by the place yesterday and I could not believe how many ambulances there are.
It looks like 335 to be exact.
https://www.rbauction.com/search?id...rNDI5NDQ4MjI5OSs0Mjk0OTY2ODU3KzQyOTQ5NjM2NTU=

Might be worth a trip if you can make it.
A lot of them have high mileage but I might go check it out just to see how cheap some of them go for.
Hell Maybe I will pick up something myself if the price is right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles