Time for a new build - Ecodiesel Gladiator Sport

smbisig

Adventurer
Long story short, I have been a Jeep guy my entire life. After driving and wheeling a Gladiator for work, fell in love with the platform and when I test drove the diesel, I had to have one!

I didn't want all the bells and whistles, but I knew what I wanted. The shortlist was:

- Sport S
- Firecracker
- Ecodiesel
- Hardtop
- LED Light Package
- Heated Seats (for my pup)
- Bedliner

That was it. The problem was, there wasn't one in this configuration anywhere in the country. So on New Years' Eve 2020, I placed my order to add to the fleet of Jeep I already have. (2018 WK2 Hemi, 1993 YJ, 2001 XJ 2WD).

Fast forward 3 months later and it was delivered.

My YJ Is already built for the trails in the PNW, so the plan with the Gladiator build was to make it a long-distance remote camping vehicle.

As of this past weekend, phase one of the build is complete.

0522344F-3C40-4DD6-8A12-3C895AAAF069_1_201_a.jpeg

Phase One
- 2.5" AEV Dualsport Diesel Suspension
- Method 701 Wheels
- 35x11.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
- ARB Classic Deluxe Winch Bumper
- Comeup RS9.5 Winch
- ARB Solis Intensity LED Lights (Aussie Style)
- Goose Gear Seat Delete
- ARB Portable Twin Compressor
- Factory dual battery delete to single Odyssey battery
- ARB Classic 35QT Fridge Freezer
- Tazer

IMG_4680.jpg

01B857BB-BB77-4A6B-B5EC-BB095E52E6C5.jpeg

508E069A-C244-4206-A077-E25929912276_1_201_a.jpeg

Phase Two (June-July) will consist of
- Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
- Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
- REDARC BCDC System powering two auxiliary BluOasis Lithium Batteries
- REDARC Tow Pro V3
- Hard mount Solar Panel on camper
- ARB LINX
- 37" Nitto All-Terrains

Phase Three (August) will consist of
- Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers
- Diff Regear
- 35 Spline Rear Axle Shafts
- Hard Mount ARB Twin Compressor

That's about it for now. I will update this thread as I add a new product to the build. If you are going to the overland expo, the Jeep will be in our (Mule Expedition Outfitters) booth.

Last edited:

Jurfie

Adventurer
Nice! Quality parts too.

What lift did you go with, and why the quick upgrade from 35s to 37s?

smbisig

Adventurer
Nice! Quality parts too.

What lift did you go with, and why the quick upgrade from 35s to 37s?

The plan all along was to go 37's. Unfortunately, the Rubicon fender flares are back ordered and the tires that I will be running haven't yet been released.

The suspension hasn't been released either, so I cant tell you for a couple of weeks :)

Jurfie

Adventurer
The plan all along was to go 37's. Unfortunately, the Rubicon fender flares are back ordered...

Ah.

...and the tires that I will be running haven't yet been released.

So not Ridge Grapplers?

The suspension hasn't been released either, so I cant tell you for a couple of weeks :)

Ooo...looking forward to it! I know a few manufacturers have been working on a full diesel JT kit.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Do you mind if I ask how much a Sport specced as you did (with the Diesel) cost?

I hope the "mix n match" approach for the Bronco pushes Jeep to add that type of choice.

I'd get a sport with no options, but add Rubicon lockers and the Rubicon xfer case.
Literally no other option - I even read where someone got a Sport with manual windows!

Thanks,
-Dan

smbisig

Adventurer
Do you mind if I ask how much a Sport specced as you did (with the Diesel) cost?

I hope the "mix n match" approach for the Bronco pushes Jeep to add that type of choice.

I'd get a sport with no options, but add Rubicon lockers and the Rubicon xfer case.
Literally no other option - I even read where someone got a Sport with manual windows!

Thanks,
-Dan

$46k before taxes. The lowest package you can get the diesel in is the Sport S. The regular old Sport has the manual windows, but only available with the 3.6.

smbisig

Adventurer
Man, the more I drive this thing, the more I am in love with it!

We just drove down from Tacoma, WA to Las Vegas to visit some family. Really wish he had more time to explore, but we were in a time crunch to get there and back before going back to work. But we did manage to cut through Death Valley NP. I wanted to see what the gauges would do on the hill climbs out of the valley at 107 degrees.

Alu-Cab canopy camper is supposed to arrive at the end of the month, so now its time to plan the REDARC and BluOasis Lithium battery system and finally hit the road for an adventure trip.

tempImage6FFN6E.jpg

smbisig

Adventurer
Since Jeep will be getting a bit heavier in the near future with the Alu Cab Canopy Camper and however I decided to build it out (cabinets). I figured I should upgrade the brakes so I went with the brand new Gladiator Powerbrake system. Six-piston caliper, vented larger and wider rotors. Planning to install next weekend and should be just in time as my camper should be arriving around then (fingers crossed).

Plus the red calipers are going to mate well with the Jeeps Firecracker Red.

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

image002_96ef42c5-6b22-491b-86ee-8e464053b333_997x997-2.jpg

Hourless Life

Excited for team MULE. Looks like a great build. If we were staying in North America on our journey we would have done much the same. Our build out is different because of where we're headed. But I really like the choices you've made on yours and look forward to following the progress. We look forward to checking out your build at Expo. Our rig will be in the showcase area at Overland Expo Mountain West, and in the Goose Gear booth at Overland Expo West this year. Would love to connect with you and get a personal tour of your rig. ~ Eric

smbisig

Adventurer
Excited for team MULE. Looks like a great build. If we were staying in North America on our journey we would have done much the same. Our build out is different because of where we're headed. But I really like the choices you've made on yours and look forward to following the progress. We look forward to checking out your build at Expo. Our rig will be in the showcase area at Overland Expo Mountain West, and in the Goose Gear booth at Overland Expo West this year. Would love to connect with you and get a personal tour of your rig. ~ Eric

I have been following along your build as well and will be borrowing some ideas like the velcro not he Goose Gear seat delete panels. I will be building a system for housing camper equipment that will also charge them and I was trying to figure out how not to lose the storage space and then your velcro hack!

The only international travel I will be doing will be into Canada where diesel is plentiful and cheaper(er). If I were doing the build for south of the border or other continents, I would be on the same path as you. Hopefully my interior will be built out enough to show off for the Mountain event. If not, should be just about where I like it in our booth at West in Arizona. See you in a few weeks.

smbisig

Adventurer
This will be a fun one to watch.

Did the ESS battery delete result in you losing your start/stop feature?

One of the first "mods" I did was a Taser to eliminate the auto start stop feature. I really never like that so called feature lol

warrior1

Thanks,
-Dan

Since I sold my JKUR, I tried spec'ing a gladiator with the max tow package, so I could consolidate down to 1 vehicle. I have a boat that weighs 7000#. I spec'd a sport with Max Tow, manual windows and hardtop (Basically the only options). I was told it would be 16 weeks for the build or longer with the "chip shortage" so, I bought a cheap JK and will keep my E-350 to tow my boat.
My issue with Jeep is that with the sport, if you wanted to add PW/PDL, you have to upgrade to a $3000 convenience package. I wish there was a more "A La Carte" option route, similar to the new bronco.

SMBISIG, you have an awesome JT!!! Congrats on your purchase and quick-ish delivery. Thanks for posting the updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles