timbrens?

jatibb

Adventurer
starting a semi new build, has anyone actually used/own the timbren axle-less system?
purchased a 77 palomino pop up, and want to convert my currrent trailer that has a old land rover bed on it to a flat bed and make the pop up detachable from the trailer. it has dexter axle now, but it is very old and was originally on a boat trailer, so its life span remaining may be coming to an end. really dont want to find out on an old dirt road somewhere.
trailer is all aluminum and very light, pop up should be around 700lbs. when ready

SamM

Adventurer
I am using the 3500# Timbren suspension under my Schutt Industries trailer. The mockup is not complete yet. I planned to get that finished this week but I went with a buddy to pick up a 1973 'Cuda today. On our way back home tonight.

image.jpg

highdesertranger

Adventurer
what kind of dexter do you have, torsion? if you have a conventional axle how could it be at the end of it's lifespan? new bearings and seals, good to go. highdesertranger

jatibb

Adventurer
it one with the rubber inserts, it spent awhile as a salt water boat axle,is starting to sag, and i can see some of the rubber "oozing" out at the end of the axle

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
it one with the rubber inserts, it spent awhile as a salt water boat axle,is starting to sag, and i can see some of the rubber "oozing" out at the end of the axle

That is called a Torsion axle and they do have a shorter lifespan than a conventional straight axle. I for one prefer the straight axle because you can get parts for them pretty much anywhere, even in Hicksville or Rednecskville in the middle of nowhere.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I would agree that they have a shorter lifetime than a solid piece of steel, but of course I still have trailers on the road built 25 years ago that are still working just fine. Time to move on with the antiquated thinking. These axles are as near bullet proof as you can buy. US Military, All NATO forces use torsion axles made by Dexter and Alko. They are doing away with all the spring axles.. 5K and below and soon 10K and below. Far superior in design and durability.

As for Timbren, I really do not know anyone that uses them or has used them. I would be concerned with the exposed rubber, as rubber breaks down with sun exposure over time. This has been stated many times, but I have never seen a Dexter or Alko torsion axle break, come apart in 30 years of using them. I have seen them destroyed in accidents, never mechanical failure.

Out of the millions of axles they make, we have seen a picture of one breaking, rubber coming out the end, arm tilted upward. I think their win to failure ratio is so much higher than any other type it is not even funny.

But moving forward and finding better products are the goal. Timbren may be the new way to go. I would just like to see some in the field. New guy on the block for sure. But the no axle story is not quite true. 3500 pound set ups require a stabilizer bar between the two I have heard. Stabilizer bar is another word for axle in this case.

Torsion axles fail due to being over loaded, they do not work properly if they are over sprung. But is is by far the most durable axle on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94