Timbren Axle-Less: important info for those building

alia176

Explorer
This maybe a little over the top for some of you but I carry a IR temp gun in my tow rigs for this reason. They're inexpensive these days and gives you objective data. I tend to use it for trailer and tow rig hub temps after a PM of some sort. Just a quick sanity check.

One time we're heading home from Moab, as my buddy pulled up to the fuel pump next to me I heard screeching sounds from the trailer. The IR gun showed stupid high temp on one hub so we found a piece of dirt and proceeded to take apart the hub. Well, I mostly supervised and heckled from the capt chair ? Unfortunately we didn't catch it in time and the bearing race fused itself to the spindle. Thankfully a boater was nearby with a generator and we happen to have a angle grinder! So, Matt cut the bearing race off and a field repair took place.

Attachments

• Matt trailer2.jpg
    Matt trailer2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Matt trailer3.jpg
    Matt trailer3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Matt trailer1 (2).jpg
    Matt trailer1 (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44

Teardropper

When I stop for gas, I do a quick touchy-feely on my hubs.

WcNTOHS.jpg

Fingers. Quick and real cheap.

T

VORSHEER

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
over-tightening castle nut can cause excessive friction which could lead to overheating bearings

One of our customers experienced this by a major tire distributor. Whenever you service your hub, remind them not to over tighten the castle nut. The tire company paid for the repairs but it was not a fun experience for the owner of the trailer. It could have been a lot more serious, thank goodness no one was hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94