Timber Me Ginger's Solo Cross Country Scooter Adventure!

john02tj

FB added, Good luck on the scooter, I have a 2015 KLR 650 with 1800 miles for sale here in Tucson. It would be a nice trade up if you wanted something fresh. I wouldn't spend more than the scoots worth on repairs though. =(

unkamonkey

Explorer
As said, a trip is just a trip until something goes wrong, then you have an adventure. You seem to be having an adventure.
There's not much I can offer for help as I know how far it is to where you are. I've driven that road. Sorry to put it this way but what you chose to ride may not have been my first choice. All water under the bridge now.
I'll watch for updates.
A friend rode a Suzuki 185 from here in CO to Alaska so there have been a few other crazed people out there as well. Actually he sold the bike in Tok for more than he paid for it.
It didn't even run then. He caught a South bound hound.
Keep going.

monkey

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Sarah, been following along on your awesome journey! Not sure of your status at this point, but I've been scouring the Texas classifieds for reasonable replacement options that would work with your paniers. Found this one in Corpus Christi, but I don't know anything about them. I'll leave it here in case it helps!
http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/mcy/5769651079.html
Chin up and keep smiling! When Terri Fox was asked how an amputee could run across the country, he told them one telephone pole at a time! Goals come from those ahead of us, inspiration comes from those worse off but keep going anyway, and contentment comes from finding one thing to be grateful for right now! All my best!

Last edited:

SarahBlessington

Sarah Blessington
I forgot to post this when it happened, but here's the update:

9/28/26:
Today. Today is a day filled with so much, it's hard to really put it all into words. Joy, gratitude, relief, LOTS of tears, laughter and a full ❤️heart❤️. It is still amazing to me that people, strangers and friends alike, have come out of the woodwork to offer support for me. The amount of thanks from the bottom of my heart is overflowing. From the messages, the calls, the donations and loans... THANK YOU ALL. She may not have a name yet, but let me tell you, the dreams that are about to unfold are full of unicorns and rainbows!! HURRAY for The Motorcycle Shop of San Antonio for introducing me to the next chapter of Timber Me Ginger!!!

14469538_520220121501358_7634295532532688375_n.jpg

SarahBlessington

Sarah Blessington
And here is what's going on since then!:

In a word: Joy.

14570395_521811921342178_371964671483791533_n.jpg

Two wheels and only a single direction to go from here: East.

And now, may I introduce....
Drum roll please!!! :drums

Bowie the Phoenix!
This lil' gal has risen from the ashes to rock my world <3

After signing her into my name, switching over all my add ons, and giving her a once over, I put San Antonio in the side mirrors and headed off to Austin. The first ride was short and sweet, so I was able to keep the speeds low, and keep the belt cool (well, as much as you can in a million degree humid weather). About 30 minutes into the ride, however, I started to freak myself out to the point of pulling over. I was hearing phantom everything, unable to tell if anything sounded like it should. So, I called the Motorcycle Shop, and spoke with the man who helped me so much in this transition. He immediately told me to bring it back by and that he would take her for a spin to see if he could figure out anything that could be the matter with her. After reassuring me that all was well in new scooter land, I hopped back on, and tried to quell my fears. Of course it makes sense that I'd be a little jumpy after my last run-in with parts destroying themselves mid ride...

Austin:
14485001_521159088074128_8272655338619802386_n.jpg

I got the privilege of hanging out with an old friend from middle school, who has only gotten more amazing in the years since I have seen her last. She showed me around town, took me to see the bats under the bridge, swimming in the cold water springs, and introduced me to the best breakfast tacos I have had yet.

14484588_521159138074123_1672639305920029231_n.jpg

Galveston Island State Park:
From Austin to Galveston, I had NO idea where I was going, and that was fantastic. Ok, so it started out pretty scary as the road that google maps had put me on was most definitely a 2-6 lane highway with speeds of 70+mph, NOOOOO thank you. I really DO want to make it to the other side of this big ol' country alive!!! So, as soon as I finally got a break in traffic and was able to merge the heck off the highway, I pulled off and brought up my map. Basically I kept zooming in as far as I could until I would find a small Farm to Market road that would keep me winding in-between farms and very far away from the death that surely awaited me on that crazy road. I would enter in a town that would keep my phone navigating in that general direction, then once I got there, I'd zoom in again to find another small road. I kept this up for hours until the land started to be dotted with rivers and lakes, pushing the roads into a few main thoroughfares. Aaaaannndd welcome back wind plus bridges! Oi. I was so focused on the road, trying to keep up with traffic while still not over doing it on the break in for the scoot, that the Gulf of Mexico surprised the heck out of me once I finally made it down there. Taking a break to look around at a stop light, the sunset over my shoulder was fanning out a beautiful array of red, orange and gold feathers on the land and water all around me. Que Ziggy Stardust to come dancing into my bluetooth speakers and there you have the moment of naming :) We had zigged and zagged all day though roads where there was not a soul except flocks of birds slowly rebuilding my trust in the new sounds and mechanics. Peaceful twists and turns though the hills and grass kept the 300+ mile day filled with smiles and gratitude. While I can imagine that I will never stop pushing to keep adventure close at hand in my life, it still doesn't escape me that but a few weeks ago, this almost came to an end. With the help of so many friends, and so many more that I don't even know, I was able to press the restart button and continue this journey, and I can't thank you all enough for each of your parts in that.

We can all connect here on how two/three/four wheels fill our hearts with joy and happiness that we can't get anywhere else, but there is something else that also comes fourth, that keeps me wanting to open up the throttle for yet another ride. Anyhow, that day was one of those rides that made me feel all of that unnamed greatness.

14462828_521811901342180_4259456829730643600_n.jpg

Lafayette, LA:

14708168_525671484289555_5919755592137384492_n.jpg

Now that's a way to start your day! My first ever ferry on two wheels! It was kind of nerve-wracking to go on a boat and not really have a parking break, or a gear to engage... BUT, Bowie did great :) A few folks had to walk over just to make sure that they were right, they did see some crazy girl traveling on a scooter.

14720441_525671510956219_3219139122213701000_n.jpg

The day was spent cruising along the shore line and in and out of marshy land. Every stop at a gas station also was greeted with: "Are you lost?" Met with me happily replying: "Only enough to enjoy the ride" :)

The Blue Moon Saloon hostel I got to stay at in Lafayette was completely empty. Apparently Monday nights are the most quiet during the week, otherwise they have live music almost every night. The building itself was old and magical, noted to come back again for a show! Exploring the town that night was beautiful, full of mosquitos and friendly people.

New Orleans:

14671342_525671530956217_9082297285685322316_n.jpg

What an incredible place!!! But wow, I am so not used to so many people! I guess riding a scooter around in the wilderness for months will do that to a person, haha. As the sun dipped below the horizon, the masses rose from their surrounding hotels to bob and weave in and out of all the bars. I mingled with the swaying river for a spell, then retreated to a balcony to people watch and listen to the live music echoing around me. While here, I ate beignets, experienced a Hurricane, consumed my weight in red beans and rice, as well as got a scooter service from Scooter's of Louisiana to get a fresh batch of oil after burning through her break in miles. I call that a success!

14705747_525671574289546_7787014492459936810_n.jpg

Pirates Cove Marina, AL:

This drive started out with an 18ish mile bridge north out of New Orleans. I am obviously a big proponent of 'figure it out while it's happening, if it happens', but dang! I should have 100% checked the milage of the bridge before going over it. as soon as I got swept up above the water, I looked down at my gas gauge. And yep, almost out of gas. YAY! Oh, and there are the tiniest excuse for shoulders on this bridge, so if I did end up running out of gas, I would pretty much have no where to go. Awesome. Live and learn right? Good thing for me, we didn't have to learn this lesson the hard way!! Just after the bridge was over, I was able to coast into a gas station :). While there, I tried finding some other roads that were going to put me further off the beaten path. Getting a later start than I had really wished for, I ended up pulling into Pirates Cove as the sun was setting, which while beautiful, is never a really good idea on the scoot. Some friends I had met in New Mexico had offered up an amazing place to camp in the Marina with a view of a sunrise that was hard to pass up!

14725562_525673424289361_3001901549502076348_n.jpg

I was also introduced to an amazing group of locals who frequent this cove and they in turn introduced me to 'Bushwackers', which are basically alcoholic frosties, and if you've never had one, you're going to want to work that into your Gulf tour ;-)

Pensacola, FL:

About 4 years ago, I gave my dog to one of my most cherished friends and her husband, and I haven't seen her since.

14695339_525951297594907_151462416217211346_n.jpg

Needless to say I am a very happy gal to be spending time with awesome people and this wonderful furry creature in such a pretty place!! I will say I am glad it's not summer here, as it is still pretty hot. Kind of crazy to wrap my head around the fact that winter, with actual winter like qualities, is just around the corner!

Tomorrow, I head north. I am officially looking at the end of this journey next week, but this time with a sense of accomplishment (among a whole barrage of other feelings). Even a breakdown in the middle of the desert didn't stop this crazy scooter gal from scootin off into the sunrise (again, with a million thanks to an amazing community!!).

So yeah, jobs... life... maybe even a CAR??? AHHHH. Ok, ok, ok, not until next week. I will cherish every last drop of this life for each second I still have it!!

14721604_525951250928245_3274507918301260799_n.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sometimes you just grab life by the ________..... yikes thats a Political statement today...

Anyway what an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

SarahBlessington

Sarah Blessington
Hey yall! I realize I have not updated this forum in ages, and wanted to give a brief update.

My scooter Bowie and I safely finished the journey to Asheville, North Carolina where I proceeded to live for two years. Since then? I have been chasing my vagabond heart around the country, working on a book about the adventure and have decided to start a podcast as well! If anyone wants to take a listen, you can find 'The ScooterLife Podcast' on all of the major podcasting sites, or by clicking: here.

A million thank you's to everyone who followed along, believed in me, and told me to get new gloves when I needed them :)

-Sarah
aka Timber Me Ginger

ScooterLife4 SMALL.jpeg

Munga Brown

Wait a sec... I must've missed it... Jolene had a sex change & is now Bowie?? North Carolina will do that sometimes. Almost got me in Goldsboro when I was in the USAF...... :)

tgil

Very interesting!
I wasn't on this forum when you started your journey. I just listened to the first podcast and will finish the others soon!
I'm closing in on being caught up on JerryYukonMontana's journey. I followed Dan Grec's journey around Africa in his Jeep and am trying to keep up with Tim & Kelsey (DirtSunrise), who are currently in Peru. Oh, 5gooverland is another I follow. Each of you have a different mode of travel, your ages also vary, but the thing you all have in common is "doing your own thing".
I envy all of you and hope to some day be able to do something a little similar when the timing is right!

Last edited:

SarahBlessington

Sarah Blessington
Very interesting!
I wasn't on this forum when you started your journey. I just listened to the first podcast and will finish the others soon!
I'm closing in on being caught up on JerryYukonMontana's journey. I followed Dan Grec's journey around Africa in his Jeep and am trying to keep up with Tim & Kelsey (DirtSunrise), who are currently in Peru. Oh, 5gooverland is another I follow. Each of you have a different mode of travel, your ages also vary, but the thing you all have in common is "doing your own thing".
I envy all of you and hope to some day be able to do something a little similar when the timing is right!

Thanks so much for checking out the podcast! Glad to hear you're finding so many amazing folks to follow :) Hope your grand adventure comes soon <3

SarahBlessington

Sarah Blessington
Wait a sec... I must've missed it... Jolene had a sex change & is now Bowie?? North Carolina will do that sometimes. Almost got me in Goldsboro when I was in the USAF...... :)
Poor Jolene met her end in Texas. I ended up getting a second scooter of the same brand to complete the journey, who eventually got the name Bowie ❤.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles