Tie downs for mesh type racks?

mparker

On the Gobi wait list... Ive got nothing but time to research accessories!

What do you use to tie items down to the mesh style racks? Ill be tiring down some totes, maybe a small fuel container (4gal), water container, traction boards.. typical stuff..

I really like cam type tiedowns. I use Nite Ize CamJams inside to secure the cooler from sliding around... was thinking about getting more for the roof?

https://www.niteize.com/product/CamJamXT-Aluminum-Cord-Tightener-Large.asp

Superduty

Adventurer
Most of the niteize stuff seems gimmicky to me. I stay away from their stuff.

Another vote for RollerCam. I love their tie downs. The NRS ones are pretty good too, but I think the RollerCam are a bit better.

If you really need to tighten something down, then there are many great ratcheting tie downs on the market. You can get super cheap ones at Harbor Freight which have their purpose. I feel the Home Depot Husky brand is better in quality and can still be had for a good price, especially during their Black Friday sale. The CAT ones currently at Costco are 1.5 Inch wide and built pretty well. If you really want to spend money on ratcheting tie downs look at MACs or Ancra. These are very good quality and recognized in the race car and motorcycle tie down world.

mparker

Most of the niteize stuff seems gimmicky to me. I stay away from their stuff.

Another vote for RollerCam. I love their tie downs. The NRS ones are pretty good too, but I think the RollerCam are a bit better.

If you really need to tighten something down, then there are many great ratcheting tie downs on the market. You can get super cheap ones at Harbor Freight which have their purpose. I feel the Home Depot Husky brand is better in quality and can still be had for a good price, especially during their Black Friday sale. The CAT ones currently at Costco are 1.5 Inch wide and built pretty well. If you really want to spend money on ratcheting tie downs look at MACs or Ancra. These are very good quality and recognized in the race car and motorcycle tie down world.

I guess what I don't know is how easy the hooks fit down in the mesh grates of the rack.

Superduty

Adventurer
I have never paid attention to the grates on the Gobi rack, but I just looked at some pics online. It looks like standard expanded metal grate. You might want to inquire of Gobi if that is a proper tie down spot. I am going to guess they want you using the main bars for tie downs. Unless the grate only goes a small span you will likely bend the mesh grate with most tie downs.

kdeleon

Observer
Get some chain links so you can place your straps anywhere on the grate. The strap hooks dont fit on the grate. Any heavy loads strap on to the main bars (canoes) but i find totes and such are better strapped hug fitting (less angle on straps) to prevent sliding. I also use some rubber mat to prevent movement versus crushing the bin with the straps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier