Tie Down Straps

Crookthumb

Adventurer
What are some dependable tie down straps? I am looking to use them on my rack so they would need to be UV stable. I was wondering what has been used, what to stay away from, and what you like. I don't mind cam buckle or ratchet. I will probably use a mixture. I was wondering if there are cut resistant straps and locking straps? Photos or links would be helpful. Thanks.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
as far as a ratchet type,, 1" is plenty stout for what we use,, and the name brands, like what you'll get at home depot vs harbor freight are good.

dont bother with motorcycle pull type, they need the resistance of springs or similar to do the job.

the only thing i know of thats cut resitant is wrapped in leather, and its only a portion thats wrapped.

i havent got exp with these,, but i really want to try them out, they say avail at home depot, i'll have to go look for a couple for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XODlO5dOyho

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
If you learn how to to do a truckers hitch youll never need those tie tites or rachet straps.
However I still like the flat strap on the rachet strap as it doesnt dig into anything soft like rope
I always get rachet straps that are to be used way below their maximum load.

Its usually the metal body on the cheepies that warps and get stuck when tight

RHINO

Expedition Leader
If you learn how to to do a truckers hitch youll never need those tie tites or rachet straps.
However I still like the flat strap on the rachet strap as it doesnt dig into anything soft like rope

so ya dont know how to do a truckers hitch either huh:sombrero:

actually i use the truckers hitch very often,, but when you want things real tight only a ratchet will do.

its funny you mention that with the tie tites, its exactly the thing i was thinking when i watched that vid, but, the gadget guy in me wants a pair anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94