tie down point on bed utility rail

Deerhammer

I swapped out a ram 1500 for a new Tundra. The Ram hauled my phoenix pop-up with tie-town points secured with brophy clamps - which worked out pretty well for the nature of my use/travels.

I'm now looking at the bed of my Tundra for use of my camper and in addition to having to build a 3.5" riser platform (which i'm not mad at because I can build in forklift pockets!)... I'm speculating on the possibility of reusing these brophy clamps without the inner clamping piece so that each corner can mount directly to the bed utility rail. Pretty sure these rails are not rated for more than a few hundred pounds of specified directional weight, but the majority of the force would seem to be placed on the top of the bed cap (which would need a small amount of padding to space it upwards) and the brace that contacts the lower part of the bed wall.

I realize that more bomber systems for tie down points exist but I'm trying to stay away from any drilling into the new rig and having a fully removable system. Anyone see any flaws in my logic for this system?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 12.46.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 12.47.00 PM.png

TantoTrailers

I would use rigid plastic or hard rubber for the spacer under the bracket between the bed rail, foam may compress and cause stress on those inside rails. Any way to also attach at that bottom bolt hole below your hand in the second pic? Congrats on the new rig!

shade

If you're concerned about spreading the weight of the camper out more, you could make something like these replacements for the 2nd gen Tacoma bed. I don't know if wimpy bedside caps are an issue on the Tundra, but I replaced the ones on my Tacoma with the steel version of these to better support an RTT.

For your use, just adding 18" or so of angle to those mounts would probably do the job, or you could have a local shop fold a piece to match the straight portion of the bedside if you wanted more coverage.

1573502692223.png

These are available, but I'm not sure that they'll add much strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne