Tie Down Bolts

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I was looking for a solution to secure an Oz Tent to the top of a side box on our trailer. The tent won't go along on every trip so I wanted something that wasn't too obtrusive sticking up on top of the box. I considered boat cleats and various truck tie-down solutions but settled on bed bolts, http://www.bedbolts.com/ They are shouldered eye bolts that screw into their own threaded base. I picked up a pair at the local Northern Tool Store for about $10 which is pretty reasonable when you start pricing boat cleats.

Photo of one of the bolts ready to install which required drilling a 5/8" hole for each bolt. The bolt base goes in from the top. The large washer, lock washer and nut go in from the bottom. I cut down the length of the base bolt about 1/2" to reduce the amount sticking out inside the box.

I used some waterproof sealant under the bolt to make sure water wouldn't leak into the box. I had some black sealant so I used that. Clear might have been a better choice but it isn't too noticeable.

You can set the orientation of the eyebolt when you secure the nut on the threaded base.

The eyebolt screws out when you don't need it and there is a plastic plug that screws in to seal the hole.

Photo of finished installation with tent installed. The inboard side secures to the rack that holds the tent.

There are several sizes of bed bolts to pick from. I used the smallest ones (3/8") which are rated for a working load limit of 460 lbs.

mudbutt

Explorer
Clever!

Just so we're all on the same page, that's not an eyebolt. It's called a lifting eye.

Much stronger. As you can imagine, you would almost be able to hoist your trailer with those.

Good job!

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Clever!

Just so we're all on the same page, that's not an eyebolt. It's called a lifting eye.

Much stronger. As you can imagine, you would almost be able to hoist your trailer with those.

Good job!

Thanks for the comments. I'd still just call it a shoulder eye bolt, and while they do make them load rated for lifting, the one I have is specifically not rated for lifting. It is made in China and has plenty of warnings on the package not to use it for lifting. It is load rated and is plenty heavy duty for tie-down purposes. The ones that are load rated for lifting are typically individually load proof tested and cost more than $5 each.

In my world this is a lifting eye with a hard hat for scale and a 500 ton rated shackle.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Nice addition to the trailer. Just a heads up if you want the OzTent bag to stay looking like it does now, I would highly recommend covering it. I know this sounds ridiculous, but in just a few outings with the bag in the sun, the handles will literally rip off. Since you are close to Northern Tools I would just wrap the bag in a 6'x8' tarp. This can then be used as a ground cloth for the tent or awning space. It also deters theft of your nice tent.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_tarps-canopies-shelters+tarps+canvas-tarps
This is the one I purchased for this exact purpose of protection my OzTent RV-5

Thanks for sharing your install. It looks very well thought out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior