Thule Tepui Foothill RTT

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Interesting idea for those with previous roofrack reservations and interested in a RTT also.

Could carry a bike or kayak along with tent for getting to camping spots that towing a trailer would be prohibitive.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It is cool to see something like this hitting the market. It always seemed like an obvious gap. I just wonder if reaching across the roof to deploy and fold might be an issue? I would have to see one up close.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Yeah, definitely need to see one up close before making further opinions. One negative thing already is it being a folding mattress and soft side/cover as opposed to hardshell. But, for the narrow footprint, a folding mattress is necessary. So bedding storage will be more limited. And I would guess that all the negative points of packing up and putting a cover on would be inherent. Being a previous hardshell RTT owner, it would be a compromise. The Thule website provided in the link doesn't even have any info yet, I guess because it's so new.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Basically the same idea as the Authome Overcamp which has been selling for years. At least with Tepui selling this sorta design, it will have more storefront access compared to Autohome.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Basically the same idea as the Authome Overcamp which has been selling for years. At least with Tepui selling this sorta design, it will have more storefront access compared to Autohome.
Thanks for posting - I had no idea. Concept looked new to me. I guess when the article says it's "new", it's purely subjective, depends where you live. But, to be fair, it's not the 1st time I've seen Tepui claim something to be new and their idea, when it wasn't entirely true.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I know this tent is so new but has anyone gotten one yet and used it, it’s a tent that I’m seriously looking at and having missed out on an opportunity to get an Authome many years ago... I’m wanting this due to how I’m planning on setting my truck up

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I know this tent is so new but has anyone gotten one yet and used it, it’s a tent that I’m seriously looking at and having missed out on an opportunity to get an Authome many years ago... I’m wanting this due to how I’m planning on setting my truck up
Might be a little difficult to get your hands on one before the end of July according to their website. Thule Tepui Foothill

Not much help that it's not available and there are no reviews available also....best I could get is a google search page has another sales review.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
That’s funny as I spoke to REI customer service as I was about to pull the trigger and I would have gotten 170 back in dividends and customer service said that they had them in stock and ready to ship

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
That’s funny as I spoke to REI customer service as I was about to pull the trigger and I would have gotten 170 back in dividends and customer service said that they had them in stock and ready to ship
Well then, you'll have to make a decision. If you wait for a review or an owner's experience, you might miss your chance to pick one up, without a long wait. If you have any RTT experience, it'll make sense when I say that it sounds to me like this tent has all the disadvantages of the larger soft-sided folding mattress tents, with none of the advantages of the hard shells. The only perk I can see is its smaller footprint on your rack. If you can live with that, I'd snap one up while you can get one. Thule & Tepui are reasonably safe choices for products. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

Andertonk

Purchased this from REI last month and took it from CA to UT. Love it! Lightweight, doesn’t make any road noise, and leaves space in top for a bike/kayak. Great price point considering, too.

By the 3rd setup, I was able to open and repack this in about 25-40 minutes depending on the coldness of my fingers (including the bedding). I’ve got a short car though- the reach is a distance on the back side. I found myself opening the doors and stepping in the seat to reach the zipper/straps.

Andertonk

Interesting design. Finally something new in the RTT world!

The photos show a tightly wrapped outer fabric and no additional poles on the “far” side of the tent, so I’d imagine setup will only require access from the near side and will be straightforward.
The poles on the back side are optional. Depends on the wind really. The tent does make a lot of noise unless you’ve got the back towards the wind with the rain fly buttoned down. In milder climates, you can unbutton and prop the back of the fly up with provided poles. Tbh- if the weather is mild enough, I’d rather just pull the fly off. With it on, you can’t use the sky windows and portholes.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
The poles on the back side are optional. Depends on the wind really. The tent does make a lot of noise unless you’ve got the back towards the wind with the rain fly buttoned down. In milder climates, you can unbutton and prop the back of the fly up with provided poles. Tbh- if the weather is mild enough, I’d rather just pull the fly off. With it on, you can’t use the sky windows and portholes.
Stil in the box........ got any pictures of your tent all set up?

this design is awesome. Hutch Tents has had them for a couple of years. Next truck is going to carry one probably

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles