Thule Awning 8' retractable hard case: SOLD

con kso

Adventurer
I picked this up about ten years ago, right when Thule stopped making them, from Rack-It here in San Diego. Since then, it's been up and down Baja and across the western United States throwin' shade and stopping rain like a champ. But now it's time to send it off to somebody else who will get ten more years (at least) of good use out of her.

I'd like to get $350 OBO and I will not ship this beast, you have to come pick it up (I'm in Imperial Beach, Ca) or maybe we can meet somewhere close by.

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.24.46 PM.png

Here she is in southern Baja.

Specs: This awning is 8' long (or really close to it) and it's made to mount on top of Thule (or I suppose Yakima round bars) by clamping it down with 6mm nuts that slide along a track underneath it.

The awning is deployed using a long handle crank that fits up into the case of the awning - twisting it makes the cover of the awning slide up and the awning begins to unfurl. It's very similar to how a Fiamma awning unfurls. You then swing down the outboard legs and then lock them into place using a locking cam on the leg.

Condition: The awning is in good, functional condition. You could mount it up right now, crank it and it would unfurl and provide glorious shade.

Positives:
The awning is much faster to deploy than an ARB type awning - so if you like to be able to pull over, set up a table, make some sandwiches and coffee and then get back on the road, this is a fast way to make quick shade. The awning has a hard cover, no zippers to jam up or break, nothing to tear and rip.

Negatives:
the rear plastic cap near the Thule lettering is loose - a branch smacked it and broke off an internal plastic tab that a screw went through. The solution is to put a strip of black duct tape on the edge of the cap - I've had the same piece on there for about 8 years and I've never lost the cap.... although it's probably time to replace that strip of duct tape. Also, one of the legs will extend completely - the little bump stop that arrests it and prevents it from sliding all the way out broke off - this does not affect the legs ability to function at all - the cam lock still holds the leg out as far as you want or need it, you just need to have a hand on the bottom portion of the leg when you release it from the canopy so that it does not slide all the way off. If it does slide off, you just slide it back on, lock it down with the cam lock and you're good to go. Of course, the thing is not shiny, brand new, it's done a hundred thousand miles of travel on the side of my old camper so while it still is "nice" looking it's not brand spanking new... it's been broken in.
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.23.26 PM.png

Here she is today:

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.15.34 PM.png

$350 OBO

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.49.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.49.31 PM.png
    419.6 KB · Views: 50

con kso

Adventurer
And just a few more:
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.17.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.49.31 PM.png

What you see here is the underside of the awning - this would sit on top of your cross bars, you'd slide those nuts along the track to where you wanted them, and then put aluminum bar under your cross bar and tighten the nuts.
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.24.46 PM.png

Jimdenic

Hello,
I am seeking an awning 102” or 8.5 ft. To mate with a tent. Is your 8’ the external aluminum housing size or estimated tarp size?
Thanks, jimdenic

con kso

Adventurer
Thanks for checking out the awning. The width of the actual business part of the awning (not the case it comes in) is probably less than 8' wide. When I get home today, I will take a measurement from the edge of the part that extends - I won't be able to guarantee it's the exact width of the fabric of the awning but it will be very close. Without the awning being mounted to a rack, it's impossible to extend it so, regrettably, I can't get an exact measurement for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles