Through the Body Storage...

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I realize its not diesel, not late model, and too tall to make a really sweet expo rig. But never the less its what I have and I just want to play for days on end. :wings: The plus side is its old enough that I dont mind slicing and dicing on the ole Jeep if necessary. With all that said I really would like to make this a fully functional Expo rig with the ability to stay out for a couple of weeks with out support. Baja is calling me back. :sombrero: With the height of the rig it is not easiest to get in and out of so Id like to make it eaiser on me. In the storage area I was thinking about about a false floor the same height as the top of the wheel well. Access to the lower section would be through panel doors on the top floor. Then I would box in the side from the bottom side windows to the false floor the full width of the wheel well. Access for the side could be from either inside the rig or from the outside. I would cut the body and hinge it to fold down. The outside access door would be a handy place to stow tow straps, recovery equipment, and tools. Things that you might want to get to without digging through drawers. I would cut it about where the yellow line is. Anybody here done anything like this before?
zephyr150-1.jpg

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Mine has some through body storage; I think they are called "doors" or "tailgate" :p (Sorry, couldn't resist). :elkgrin:

southpier

Expedition Leader
i've always thought doors and hatches, if they can be made weathertight, are a good way to utilize space which might not be readily accessible from the factory supplied openings

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I think I saw something like this on the Bed of a new Ford truck but not sure. I wouldnt think weather tight would be hard to accomplish.

esh

Explorer
Maybe a possible idea.

A friend of mine runs wagongear.com. He makes sweet access panels for Land Cruiser wagon rear fenders and tailgates. Access is internal and you get a ton of storage.

Pretty sweet that you could use the entire length not having 4 doors.

IMG_2113.JPG

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Maybe a possible idea.

A friend of mine runs wagongear.com. He makes sweet access panels for Land Cruiser wagon rear fenders and tailgates. Access is internal and you get a ton of storage.

Pretty sweet that you could use the entire length not having 4 doors.

IMG_2113.JPG

Those are pretty cool, Never seen those before. Humm :ylsmoke:

trust

Adventurer
Intriguing idea, I think though htat to make it weather tight you would have to do more than just take the cut out piece, put hinges on it and slap it back up, may have to do some thing to strenghten the body where the 'door' is cut out and would have to stiffen the door itself. An alternative might be, albeit no where near as trick, would be to use the under bed tool boxes made for flatbeds the are integral units, you would then just cut a rectangular hole in the body for the box unit and fab up the support structure on the inside.

Or get a J truck with a utility bed

inked33

Adventurer
i dont see why your idea couldnt be made to work. to make the doors water tight could try putting a lip on the inside and running some weather seal around it. plus the peice you would use for the door might need some strengthening to keep it rigid. imo making something like the product from waggygear on the inside would be alot easier and save you some headaches. good luck with the project

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I do custom automotive sheet metal on old cars for a living. The door thing shouldn't be a problem just deciding if its worth it or not. Think I will put that on my things to do list. Right after the cage/ roof rack/ ladder combo. Thanks guys.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Wagon Gear site is stimulating my creativity. There really isn't a reason why a guy could make his own storage compartments like that for the rear quarters of an XJ, and even in that spot under the back seat too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles