Thoughts on winch bumpers for a Discovery 2?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Depends.

If you get an ARB that is "air bag compatible" with the crush cans, they don't work. The crush cans flex too much and will rotate the bumper into your body. This is a bad time.

If you got the "non-airbag compatible" model, then it bolts straight to the frame. If anything bends, then you shouldn't have hit anything that hard.

If you ordered the air bag one, either take it back or plan on having plates welded in to effectively make the crush cans useless.

There you have it.

You're not referencing D2s, you're referring to earlier vehicles.

Some Dude

Adventurer
The only rock crawling I do is at Moab. Most of the time its dirt roads. If I have to winch anyone out its the jeeps.

Protip: Use a tow strap and drag them from your hitch. Using a winch to drag other vehicles toward yourself is a surefire way to wind up with a crooked ARB. Ask me how I know...

sedat

Adventurer
Plate the ****er in with something a little more than 3/16 fender metal.

I bent the arb up on a rrc I owned pushing saplings down.

My next 4x4 will have stuff that I built on it, and not bought.

dwvninety

Observer
The only rock crawling I do is at Moab. Most of the time its dirt roads. If I have to winch anyone out its the jeeps.

What kind of Jeeps? I own a 2003 Land Rover Discovery modified with a center, front, rear lockers. 2006 LR3 with HD (center and rear lockers) and a 2012 Jeep Rubicon (front, center, rear lockers and swaybar disconnects) All of them are extremely capable. Yes I have done MOAB, Canyonlands, Colorado etc. so I have experience. I hope that your not bashing Jeeps with your statement as both brands make capable 4x4 vehicles.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Jeeps are capable vehicles. However my personal discrimination for them is so deeply rooted within me, I can never change my ways.

Stupid jeeps.

Feel free to judge me since this is the internet and it doesn't really matter.

Zack, please provide information on the D2 ARB bumpers. I thought it was the D2 bumper that had the crush can option...but you are saying it was the D1?

Like I said, please provide valid information since obviously I can't.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
D2s do have the crush cans, but that's the only version of the bumper there is. 3432060 for 99-02, 3432120 for 03-04 (and also the Sahara setup, 3932020)

Discovery 1 had the option for with airbag/SRS - 3432050 or without SRS/airbag - 3432080

I believe it was due to the D1s having a sensor in the front, whereas the D2 has an inertia switch for the airbags.

LR Max

Local Oaf
D2s do have the crush cans, but that's the only version of the bumper there is. 3432060 for 99-02, 3432120 for 03-04 (and also the Sahara setup, 3932020)

Discovery 1 had the option for with airbag/SRS - 3432050 or without SRS/airbag - 3432080

I believe it was due to the D1s having a sensor in the front, whereas the D2 has an inertia switch for the airbags.

themoreyouknow.jpg

overover02

thank you for clarifying all that!!

dwvninety

Observer
I own both brands so I guess I don't have the same feelings as others. To me they are just a tool to get me places where other vehicles can't.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
well, it does have crush cans. took another look today. but, i can fix that with some 1/4" plate and my welder.

I'd love to take the time to build a bumper, but I'm to damn busy with work. And I make a lot more money working then I would wasting time building a bumper. If I built one, it would probably come out to $800 anyway. So, I can spend a few hours buying and installing something I like the look of, or spend 100+ hours trying to build one. a 100+ hours on OT is worth a lot more to me.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz