Thoughts....on what to do.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a dilemma that I just cannot solve;

So I have currently 3 vehicles.
a 1986 FJ60 (in very good overall condition with rebuilt drive train, LR tank) wife hates it not fast or modern enough for today.
a 2007 LR3 SE, 4.4L (high mileage 161K but runs fine) all stock.
a 2007 F150 Lariat Super crew with the 6.5" box, 5.4L LR tank, HD cooling and LSD in back. 173K

I am deciding on the one to keep and build up as my daily driver/ camping/ overland vehicle. Of the three the F150 is my favorite but even it is getting older (like me).

To let you know where I am at. I have been looking at keeping the Ford and getting a lightweight camper so I can go camping and fishing with my kids (10 and 12).
OR
Other option is sell all 3 and buy something newer or larger with a little extra cash. but that would take away any liquid cash for updates and even a camper. Funds would only come from the F150 and LR3 and the FJ60's cash is slated elsewhere (i.e. down payment for the wife's new vehicle).

I have been looking an Excursions (2003-2005 V10 models). To use maybe with a roof top tent and sleeping inside.

Fuel economy while important is not as for me. Fj60 get 12mpg down hill LR3 gets 14mpg and F150 get about 13-14mpg

Ultimatly I am looking for a full size vehicle with 4 doors, 4x4 and something that even my wife will like (Toyota's are completely out as she hates them almost s much as she hates Subaru). I have looked also at F250's/ F350's Dodge 2500/3500, but around here most have been plow trucks, of beat by towing.
The Ford 6.0 diesel is absolutely out of the question as they are hit and miss or reliability.

So your thoughts and help are needed here. All suggestions are welcome.

phsycle

Adventurer
I would go with the Other Option: Sell all 3 and get something newer. Get a shell for now to camp in and save for a camper. Not sure what your budget is, but you can get a 2011-2014 F150, Supercrew, 5.0, 4WD, rear locker in the teens. If you're not afraid to fly and drive, look on cargurus, autotrader, etc. in the southwestern states. Get a carfax, though, since a lot of cars here were bought at auction back east.

motoboss

Bad Influence
V 10 is a gas hog! At best 10 mpg, loaded up for camping 6 to 8 range.
Had a 2002 F250 w/v10 and swore it was the last new truck I'd ever buy. Drove it about 7 years, 150,000 miles then had to park it when gas it near $5.00 a gallon. It sat, nearly unused in the garage for almost 3 years before I finally relented and sold it. I still miss it but don't regret selling it.
Today's new trucks are way more fuel efficient not to move up to something newer. If, say an average, 8 mpg is good for you then have at it. Remember as the size goes up so does the cost of parts, maintenance and insurance.
I have a 2019 F150 4x4 with a topper that'll do everything the 250 would, except pull a house.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'm not in your shoes and I don't know all your situation but I'm going to tell you what I would do with your starting point. I'm going to assume all 3 vehicles are paid off.

First off, I'm keeping the FJ60 assuming there is the room for it, easy day.

Next off I sell that F150 since you are looking for something that would essentially replaces it. As much as I am an F150 fanboy those trucks [pre-2009s] are starting to show their age and aren't aging as well earlier trucks (think 9th generation and older). Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable with a timebomb like those 5.4s powering me around in the middle of nowhere.

The toss up for me is the LR3. If it was completely up to me I'd probably sell because as they age they will encounter more problems. I come from years and years of Land Rover ownership and I have a huge passion for it, but the LR3 doesn't quite do it for me like a D1 or RRC.

With those two vehicles out of your stable I would start looking for... You already mentioned an Excursion so I'll just roll with that. DO NOT BUY AN EXCURSION THAT HAS V10 IF YOU LIKE YOUR WALLET. DO NOT. Its not a bad vehicle and if you don't give a crap about MPG or cost then have at it. Instead I would look for (and be prepared to wait) for a 7.3 Excursion.

Alternatively you could look into Gen1 F250s with the 7.3L or the newer Gen3 with 6.7L. You'll be able to find all the things you're looking for (4x4, 4 door, not a Toyota) in those trucks. Gen1s will have tons of miles and will probably still have a 7.3 premium. You are smart to avoid the 6.0 but don't completely ignore the 6.4, from my limited knowledge is that they are easier to bulletproof that people like to give it credit for. Does it still have issues? Yep, sure does, but it shouldn't totally make you ignore a truck you otherwise like.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Alternatively you could look into Gen1 F250s with the 7.3L or the newer Gen3 with 6.7L. You'll be able to find all the things you're looking for (4x4, 4 door, not a Toyota) in those trucks. Gen1s will have tons of miles and will probably still have a 7.3 premium. You are smart to avoid the 6.0 but don't completely ignore the 6.4, from my limited knowledge is that they are easier to bulletproof that people like to give it credit for. Does it still have issues? Yep, sure does, but it shouldn't totally make you ignore a truck you otherwise like.
Not sure what the market is like but I'm wondering if for the same money as a gen 3 Super Duty with a 6.7 you could look at a newer lower km F150 with a 5.0L or 3.5 EcoBoost.

Possibly with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Depends on budget I suppose. 3/4 ton would handle a camper better but how often would the camper be on the truck?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Not sure what the market is like but I'm wondering if for the same money as a gen 3 Super Duty with a 6.7 you could look at a newer lower km F150 with a 5.0L or 3.5 EcoBoost.

Possibly with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Depends on budget I suppose. 3/4 ton would handle a camper better but how often would the camper be on the truck?

I think for the money you could get almost any F150 you wanted. Looking at craigslist with the keywords of "F250 7.3" I get tons of hits and most of are decently priced. If I google "F250 6.7" there are tons of hits as well, but the prices are 10k more expensive minimum. The few that are posted closer to 30k are all fleet trucks with tons of miles for their age. The main reason why I looked into F250 instead of F150 is because he stated he wanted an Excursion, but while they are good trucks, they are hard to find the ones that have the features most people want. If you're looking at an Excursion you could always look into an F250, throw a cap on the bed and be 9/10ths the way there. Plus the amount of digging you have to do for a good F250 is so much less than an Excursion just based on production numbers alone.

DCH109

Adventurer
Thank you all for the replies.
Sorry I have been traveling and only now able to respond.

I agree with all of you. Selling the three is the way to go. While I would like to keep the FJ60, my wife will divorce me for sure (no joke). She hates it like nothing I have seen before. So for sanity it has to go.

As for the Excursion, finding a 7.3 is harder than most would think and then they are $$ for something that stop being made in 2005.
So I will skip that I think.

I like the idea of the F150's since i really like mine, The issue is the camper. While my current 5.4L which is well setup for it, would still struggle a little and the payload is far to light. I like the idea of the new ones with the Aluminum box, lighter weight and less rust.

All in all a F250 or F350 may just be the way to go. The cap is a good idea to and is something I would have done either way if I bought a truck, sealed (as well as they can be) they are great for keeping things dry and stored nicely.
As I want to buy a slide in camper, which would be on pretty much every weekend in the summer until football season the larger 3/4 ton truck may be the solution. That said daily driving it is a PITA I am sure where the F150 would be easier.
I will have to make that decision as I look. F150's are everywhere it seems, harder to find with the long range tank and V8 though.

A decent F250/350 are hard to find, but they are out there. I just am not into spending 30+k for one.

Again thanks!!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thank you all for the replies.
Sorry I have been traveling and only now able to respond.

I agree with all of you. Selling the three is the way to go. While I would like to keep the FJ60, my wife will divorce me for sure (no joke). She hates it like nothing I have seen before. So for sanity it has to go.

As for the Excursion, finding a 7.3 is harder than most would think and then they are $$ for something that stop being made in 2005.
So I will skip that I think.

I like the idea of the F150's since i really like mine, The issue is the camper. While my current 5.4L which is well setup for it, would still struggle a little and the payload is far to light. I like the idea of the new ones with the Aluminum box, lighter weight and less rust.

All in all a F250 or F350 may just be the way to go. The cap is a good idea to and is something I would have done either way if I bought a truck, sealed (as well as they can be) they are great for keeping things dry and stored nicely.
As I want to buy a slide in camper, which would be on pretty much every weekend in the summer until football season the larger 3/4 ton truck may be the solution. That said daily driving it is a PITA I am sure where the F150 would be easier.
I will have to make that decision as I look. F150's are everywhere it seems, harder to find with the long range tank and V8 though.

A decent F250/350 are hard to find, but they are out there. I just am not into spending 30+k for one.

Again thanks!!
Just two quick points. Probably won't help your decision making process though...

1) A 5.0L or an EcoBoost 3.5 will drive a lot different than your 5.4L So don't let the driving dynamica alone push you into a Super Duty.

b: If you get an F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 box, it'll pretty much be the same width / length as a Super Duty anyway.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
b: If you get an F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 box, it'll pretty much be the same width / length as a Super Duty anyway.

But more difficult to live with because of the size and none of the upsides of an F250. Anecdotally, I've driven an F150 SCREW w/6.5ft bed and a F250 with the same configuration and the F150 feels bigger. If I am going for something that big I'd prefer to actually getting the platform where the size doesn't feel so awkward. I know its the most sound logic, but its how I feel about it. Plus the option of a diesel, especially if you already want a diesel platform really can't be ignored. No F150 without a major engine swap is going to have a Diesel.

phsycle

Adventurer
But more difficult to live with because of the size and none of the upsides of an F250. Anecdotally, I've driven an F150 SCREW w/6.5ft bed and a F250 with the same configuration and the F150 feels bigger. If I am going for something that big I'd prefer to actually getting the platform where the size doesn't feel so awkward. I know its the most sound logic, but its how I feel about it. Plus the option of a diesel, especially if you already want a diesel platform really can't be ignored. No F150 without a major engine swap is going to have a Diesel.

For real? Man, to me, the F250 (stock for stock) feels so much bigger and more robust. The F150, more nimble (5.5 and 6.5 alike). All subjective, I guess.

If I were to pull any heavier than 6-7k+ lbs regularly, I'd go F250.

OP - There is a nice F150 with a HD Payload Package in the classifieds here. ~2,500lb payload. Good enough for an FWC camper. Just as an option.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
For real? Man, to me, the F250 (stock for stock) feels so much bigger and more robust. The F150, more nimble (5.5 and 6.5 alike). All subjective, I guess.

If I were to pull any heavier than 6-7k+ lbs regularly, I'd go F250.

OP - There is a nice F150 with a HD Payload Package in the classifieds here. ~2,500lb payload. Good enough for an FWC camper. Just as an option.

You're absolutely right, the F250 feels more robust for sure. Perhaps its just mindset and what I'm used to. I'm used to the size of an F250 SCREW w/6 and 3/4ths foot bed from my previous job (way overkill for bringing parts and scuba tanks down to the pier) and I'm used to the F150 w/5.5ft bed from my daily... but man when I drove my friends new F150 SCREW w/6.5 it just FELT massive compared to my truck and more awkward than the F250... I know its all in my head, thats why I said just it was just as an anecdote.

MR.ED said:
Maybe keep the cruiser and sell the wife??

YES.

DCH109

Adventurer
Well in reality the F250 is more robust with solid axles and heavier duty steering linkage as well as a large number of things.

That said, I plan to test drive a F150 with the 5.0 this weekend (will also check out the F150 in the classifieds) . I would never buy anything with that 5.5' box. It just seems to small. Minimum is the 6.5'
Also found a Nice F250 with the 6.4L local that I will also test drive just to compare.

While I would like to keep the cruiser...the wife would get the kids and I kinda like them.....well and her LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles