Thoughts on using a 2 Wheel Drive Sprinter

Spencer for Hire

Hi Folks, I have a chance to buy a 2 wheel drive Sprinter 4 cylinder 144wb 2019 with a conversion.
I will be using it in winter but we don't have lots of off-roading areas in the Northeast like out west with BLM lands and fire roads.
My questions are:
1. Will the 2 wheel drive adversely effect the resale?
2. I am probably only using in the Northeast but do many folks use these in other regions?
3. Do you think it will be fine on the roads in winter?
Thanks

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
You will lose money on resale 4X4 or 2X4. You will pay more for 4X4 up front but get it back on resale. Which one loses more?
Is there a rear locker option for the 2wd? That would be enough for most bad traction situations. With 2wd you will just have to be more cautious.
How much are you going to invest in the camper build? The better the quality the more a buyer will pay for 4x4. You will have to wait for the plows in some situations with 2wd.

Spencer for Hire

You will lose money on resale 4X4 or 2X4. You will pay more for 4X4 up front but get it back on resale. Which one loses more?
Is there a rear locker option for the 2wd? That would be enough for most bad traction situations. With 2wd you will just have to be more cautious.
How much are you going to invest in the camper build? The better the quality the more a buyer will pay for 4x4. You will have to wait for the plows in some situations with 2wd.
I am told it only has traction control. I will ask again, If it's a better quality build on a 2x2, will that help on resale or only on 4x4?

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
AFAIK, there's no selectable locker available for the Sprinter diff.

The real answer is going to depend on an honest evaluation of your own needs: Will you just be doing campgrounds, parking lots, and the occasional well-maintained forest service road? Or will you be getting into dirt, snow or other loose material?

A RWD Sprinter or Transit is certainly better than a FWD Promaster, but I've had to help get 2WD Sprinters out of silty sand a couple of times. (Maxtrax/TRED/etc. ******.)

Spencer for Hire

AFAIK, there's no selectable locker available for the Sprinter diff.

The real answer is going to depend on an honest evaluation of your own needs: Will you just be doing campgrounds, parking lots, and the occasional well-maintained forest service road? Or will you be getting into dirt, snow or other loose material?

A RWD Sprinter or Transit is certainly better than a FWD Promaster, but I've had to help get 2WD Sprinters out of silty sand a couple of times. (Maxtrax/TRED/etc. ******.)
Yes to campgrounds, parking lots, and the occasional well-maintained forest service roads and yes to snow on maintained dirt and tar roads. Not really as to sand or off roading in Northeast. Maybe some logging roads.

IPB

You need to build for your needs, not the next buyer.
This! If not you won't be happy with it.

I am in the Northeast as well, and was in a similar situation. Considering 2wd Sprinters and Transit vs the 4x4/AWD models, and for me it came down to a few different things:
1. Availability. Vans are scarce and when they pop up, they are at inflated prices and often disappear quickly
2. Use. My plans include going up into the mountains in NH/VT/ME, as well as potentially the beach here in RI.
3. Needs vs Wants. Do I need 4x4 or AWD or do I want it. I likely don't need it 80% of the time, but the other 20% where I might need was important to me in not wanting to limit our travels.
4. Costs. New vs Used, Maintenance costs, fuel costs. Used 4x4 Sprinters, if you can find them cost as much or more than a new AWD Transit

I ended up going 2020 Transit 350 AWD HR Extended. I spent more that I wanted to at the onset of my search, but I got AWD, and the perfect platform for my wife and I and our build. Once the build is done I will be doing the VC lift, and hopefully by then Method has wheels that will fit the crazy 2020 AWD bolt pattern.

Spencer for Hire

Great commen
This! If not you won't be happy with it.

I am in the Northeast as well, and was in a similar situation. Considering 2wd Sprinters and Transit vs the 4x4/AWD models, and for me it came down to a few different things:
1. Availability. Vans are scarce and when they pop up, they are at inflated prices and often disappear quickly
2. Use. My plans include going up into the mountains in NH/VT/ME, as well as potentially the beach here in RI.
3. Needs vs Wants. Do I need 4x4 or AWD or do I want it. I likely don't need it 80% of the time, but the other 20% where I might need was important to me in not wanting to limit our travels.
4. Costs. New vs Used, Maintenance costs, fuel costs. Used 4x4 Sprinters, if you can find them cost as much or more than a new AWD Transit

I ended up going 2020 Transit 350 AWD HR Extended. I spent more that I wanted to at the onset of my search, but I got AWD, and the perfect platform for my wife and I and our build. Once the build is done I will be doing the VC lift, and hopefully by then Method has wheels that will fit the crazy 2020 AWD bolt pattern.
Great comments and analysis. What does VC lift mean? I searched but couldn't find it.

D

Deleted member 9101

2wd might actually save you some problems off road. It will force you to not take as many risk, thus you don't get stuck.

Scotty D

Yes to campgrounds, parking lots, and the occasional well-maintained forest service roads and yes to snow on maintained dirt and tar roads. Not really as to sand or off roading in Northeast. Maybe some logging roads.
Based on this I say dont get a 4x4
So many people never need it but still pay for it
Upfront cost is more
Insurance used to be more , not sure if it still is
Fuel is more
Maintenance is more

I would never pay the extra for AWD except for the fact that I use it all the time.
Even in Baja though , many many sprinters dont have 4x4.
They get to camp in about 50% of the places I love.

2wd might actually save you some problems off road. It will force you to not take as many risk, thus you don't get stuck.
I have a 2WD upfitted Sprinter and find that this observation has kept me out of trouble. Now that I want to go deeper into the woods, the time for a 4WD pop-up is approaching.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Spencer for Hire

Folks have been talking about the AWD Transit. I came across this article that shows you can get it now with a 3.73:1 limited-slip differential on the rear axle, and a heavy-duty front axle. 2WD Sprinter vs AWD Transit make for interesting options.

billiebob

will it hurt resale .... YES

so pay a market depressed price when you buy it
How long will you own it, thevlonger the better cuz 4x2 is not theone to build figuring you will get the investment back.
That said, I grew up in the mountains, skiing, climbing, mountaineering and no one had 4WD 50 years ago, Traction control no, most everyone had an open dif. I think where we went and think wow we are pussys today.

With chains you will go further than the best 4WD without chains, spend $150 on a pair.

IMG_0577.jpeg

billiebob

There is a tread on here, I think it is an E350 for sale, the guy nicely extolls the virtues of RWD, there are advantages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz