Thoughts on used EarthRoamer?

rohat

Hey People,
I'm starting my market search on expedition vehicles and just wondering what community thinks about used high end campers?

Found this 2005 EarthRoamer for$105K
How do you price such a thinly traded vehicle and for the similar price is a new lesser vehicle a better bet? Similar discussion can for example be between a 5 year old Lexus vs a new Corolla buuuut this is 15 years old and built to be bashed around a bit.

It's 15 years old!
VS
It's high end built tough(er)
VS
it's still $100K+
VS
It's quality, but anything that's 15 years old will have issues and today's vehicles will perform waaaay better....but it's quality.
VS
mileage is getting up there.

https://www.rvt.com/EarthRoamer--LT-2005-Tucson-AZ-ID8963186-UX343694?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Dynamic%20Banners&utm_campaign=Facebook%20DRM%20RVT%20CPA&fbclid=IwAR09on94SQWW-9aJyhY2Ksc9_RQZ-b2To67zufH274ZVLVknaVd3Voerqts

here's similar.

https://www.rvt.com/EarthRoamer--XVLT-2006-Denver-CO-ID9006033-UX346726

gdaut

I have not owned an EarthRoamer, new or used. I do own an olderXP Camper, bought used. A few thoughts:

1) A new EarthRoamer is about $700K. A new Nimbl/GXV/EarthCruiser can be had for less, but still a lot more than $105K, or $150K. So, if your budget is in the $150K range, used is your only option.
2) 100,000 miles is not a lot for a big diesel truck. People other than me can tell you about the Ford 6.0 motor and bullet proofing; but I gather it is a good thing (I have a Ram truck with a Cummins, so I have not looked into this). You will see models of the same vintage for sale with low miles (maybe at higher prices), but I am not sure a vehicle that has only been driven 20K miles in 15 years is better than one that has been driven 100K. The former vehicle probably spent a lot of time sitting and not being started.
3) All these campers have a lot of complex systems that require maintenance and repair from time to time. But, they are well built, so absent abuse, they should not be falling part or near the end of their useful life. There are certain components that do wear out. Times and batteries are two that come to mind (possibly because I just replaced my batteries and need new tires soon). These are not cheap.
4) While an EarthRoamer recently sold for $60K, that was a deal of a lifetime and unlikely to come around again. The ERs on the market for $100K - $150K seem well priced to me, if an ER is what you want.

Reactions: zip

Joe917

Explorer
My thought on ER's is they are often very low mileage for age, why don't they get used? and so often they have lower profile street tires on them. They look very slick and there is a good market for used ERs so the market has set the price. Personally I don't think the price is good value, but many do.
15 years is nothing provides there is no rust and there has been proper maintenance.
100 k is nothing for a diesel. I think ERs use the engine at idle instead of a generator for suplimental charging. If this is the case it will cut down on engine life. Diesels do not do well unless loaded.

Darwin

Explorer
Is it 105K or 150K? Add says 150k. Either way, the first thing I would do is remove the 6.0 motor while it still runs, sell it for cash, and then put that money into a Cummins swap.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How do you get the cab off the truck for repairs?

$100k builds a really nice LMTV with a Total Composites box.

If you wait, some always pop up here.

Last edited:

rohat

I have not owned an EarthRoamer, new or used. I do own an olderXP Camper, bought used. A few thoughts:

1) A new EarthRoamer is about $700K. A new Nimbl/GXV/EarthCruiser can be had for less, but still a lot more than $105K, or $150K. So, if your budget is in the $150K range, used is your only option.
2) 100,000 miles is not a lot for a big diesel truck. People other than me can tell you about the Ford 6.0 motor and bullet proofing; but I gather it is a good thing (I have a Ram truck with a Cummins, so I have not looked into this). You will see models of the same vintage for sale with low miles (maybe at higher prices), but I am not sure a vehicle that has only been driven 20K miles in 15 years is better than one that has been driven 100K. The former vehicle probably spent a lot of time sitting and not being started.
3) All these campers have a lot of complex systems that require maintenance and repair from time to time. But, they are well built, so absent abuse, they should not be falling part or near the end of their useful life. There are certain components that do wear out. Times and batteries are two that come to mind (possibly because I just replaced my batteries and need new tires soon). These are not cheap.
4) While an EarthRoamer recently sold for $60K, that was a deal of a lifetime and unlikely to come around again. The ERs on the market for $100K - $150K seem well priced to me, if an ER is what you want.
Thanks for input. The 100k on the diesel is not so much the thought of spending $150k on a 15 year old depreciating mechanical asset when technology changes so quickly. You are correct on the maintenance. Sitting or being used 15 years is a long time and ******** goes bad. I have not set my budget yet but am looking to see what I need to spend to get something I "think" I want. 4x4 adventure vehicle with sitting area and sleeps 2-4 people is my current needs.

rohat

My thought on ER's is they are often very low mileage for age, why don't they get used? and so often they have lower profile street tires on them. They look very slick and there is a good market for used ERs so the market has set the price. Personally I don't think the price is good value, but many do.
15 years is nothing provides there is no rust and there has been proper maintenance.
100 k is nothing for a diesel. I think ERs use the engine at idle instead of a generator for suplimental charging. If this is the case it will cut down on engine life. Diesels do not do well unless loaded.
Hey Joe, Just read post about your rigs journey and build. Awesome. Your rig profile wants/needs are very similar to mine. Let me pick your brain for moment if you don't mind....Did you consider used Earthcruisers or any other North American vehicles? They are expensive especially if paying with Canadian dollars as I am as well. How did you settle on your Benz? The Earthroamers are a little to upscale for me frankly and a bit overkill in the luxury dept but a good deal may pique my interest. Any other thoughts from your experience would be much appreciated.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
EarthRoamers are well built, well supported vehicles. I would think that $100-150k is a quite reasonable price range for a 15 year old one. Most ERs seem to lead quite pampered lives (stored inside when not in use, which is most of the time) and have owners that look after them.

Are you the type of person that buys 15 year old vehicles, or do you buy new/nearly new? Don't buy it if you don't enjoy working on older vehicles. The big thing is to expect systems to fail and budget for it (both time and materials), and even better be pretty handy with repairs yourself.

rohat

Thanks for perspective! Appreciate it. Not so much that I can't deal with some mechanical issues, its just that I probably don't want to at this stage in my life. The idea of getting something dependable and drive it into the ground ignoring the small issues is appealing. Any other 4x4 recommendations ?

MattF350

Observer
If its built exactly how you want it, then Id say maybe worth it

But with the way I think, which is not like most, itd be better to get your own truck and go from there. I don't need all the fancy decor or fancy systems. While convenient, not for me.

If youre looking for a 4x4, theres plenty of good options. Whats your main goal?

Joe917

Explorer
Hey Joe, Just read post about your rigs journey and build. Awesome. Your rig profile wants/needs are very similar to mine. Let me pick your brain for moment if you don't mind....Did you consider used Earthcruisers or any other North American vehicles? They are expensive especially if paying with Canadian dollars as I am as well. How did you settle on your Benz? The Earthroamers are a little to upscale for me frankly and a bit overkill in the luxury dept but a good deal may pique my interest. Any other thoughts from your experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks, yes we looked at ER but the price was too high for what you get. If you like North American pick ups as a base vehicle you will get much better value in a Tiger. I personally dislike the poor visibility with an engine forward pick up and the turning circle is poor. Earthcruisers are a non starter for me, I have no interest in a soft sided pop up. We settled on the Benz as best value and comfort for the money. It has served us well.
You need a list of criteria, must have, nice to have, and deal breakers. Then go from there.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks for perspective! Appreciate it. Not so much that I can't deal with some mechanical issues, its just that I probably don't want to at this stage in my life. The idea of getting something dependable and drive it into the ground ignoring the small issues is appealing. Any other 4x4 recommendations ?
I'm not a big fan of the modern diesels (those that take DEF and have very complicated plumbing), but am a bit of a contrarian in that my daily driver is an E-350 with Ford's 6.0. I think it is a good motor as long as you treat it appropriately - but those are pretty old these days anyway.

Do you really need the size of an EarthRoamer? You could always buy a used Tiger Siberian or *cough* Nimbl for your price range, and be able to get to more places because of the smaller envelope. :)

If you decide you want the reliability of new there are plenty of options out there in that price range, but most will likely have traditional US camper kit (appliances, heater, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles