Thoughts on this trailer power system.

Rando

Explorer
Primarily because it was developed in the 90's, remains essentially unchanged, and is missing a bunch of modern and convenient features. They were the bees knees back in the day, but have not kept up.

More modern monitors provide a much improved user interface, both in terms of physical interface on the unit (no 7 segment LEDs) but more importantly through bluetooth with a phone/tablet/laptop app. Setting these up is a breeze through the app, you can choose pre configured settings for a given battery chemistry, or modify each parameter to your specific needs. You can view histories, and re-sync etc through the app without having to remember bizzaro 'upside down calculator' letter codes. You also don't have to mount the display prominently (or at all) as you can read everything in the app, and many of the Victron components will actually talk to each other to provide more detailed control.

The Trimetric also lacks some basic features, including Peukert compensation (which it sounds like you would want) and temperature compensation.

As for the charge controller - all the points above apply, plus only providing PWM as opposed to MPPT.

Unless you got a screaming deal, it seems like you are paying more to get less.

228B

Observer
Do you understand MPPT and how it works? It is of little to no benefit at 13 amps. Correction: I did see as I noted earlier (either here or in another thread) that when I was using a Morningstar MPPT Sunsaver and when I connected two 100 W Renogy monocrystalline panels in series I saw an additional one amp output to the battery (one, at the time) over the 12 amps I saw with the panels connected to the controller in parallel...

And the Trimetric battery monitor has been updated numerous times but not because it didn't work. It has always worked well. Their SC charge controller was new in 2015. Battery chemistry hasn't change since then.

I'm going to disagree with your opinion of the Trimetric duo, and I'm going to be using them in my system. I still appreciate your attempts to help and for the links to what you think is modern.

Again, thanks. ??

Rando

Explorer
We are all entitled to our own opinions. I will leave this here for others to decide on which device looks intuitive and up to date:

trimetric2025rv.jpg
BMV712-1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online