Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

REF

I’m not sure why there was so much shade being thrown at these guys right out of the gate? Now we all know it’s at least for real. Is this build for everyone? No, but that’s what’s so great about having more choices becoming available and the ambitious people willing to take the leap to bring them to life.
Is the Tacoma the most obvious or best platform for this type of rig, IDK…..I have the same reservations as most of you have expressed, but they did address most of the shortcomings of the platform through modifications, time will tell if that is sufficient enough once these things have some real world testing done, they did drive the rig out from NV to CO and encountered some pretty substantial side winds along the way and said it handled great, very little sway with such a substantial box, but that was obviously all hwy travel.
There isn’t really anything else out there like it, and it certainly fills a void, how much of a void is yet to be determined, especially as new flat bed truck campers and other pickup truck based builds from the likes of Earthcruiser and Nimbl hit the market.
We checked out the Truckhouse in person at the Expo mountain west in Loveland, I will say, it was by far the most impressive group of young guys and builds we saw all day in the sea of overly bloated expedition rigs.
My wife was ready to put a deposit down right then and there (that was before we knew the price!), but that’s what you get for building a quality product. The attention to detail and quality of materials was evident, they were receptive to input and any criticism and seem willing to make any improvements and address issues as they arise. We loved the layout and the bright open interior, it really felt much larger than it is, even more so than most of the bigger rigs.
I wish them success!
40c0418bbdfab4a074eeeb87538e521a.jpg

55c7fe25594678ae8452bf96a5170055.jpg

1cbb2366fca3ed67042302056695eae6.jpg

24e1817921d5a63b31b287d21388d37a.jpg

7664ac99e21ebb57fd219575bb26d31b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Have they published a weight, yet?

Been through all the material and haven't seen anything. I think that's the most obvious question in most people's mind.

rruff

Explorer
Have they published a weight, yet? Been through all the material and haven't seen anything. I think that's the most obvious question in most people's mind.

I've either seen it written or heard it in a video. 8,000 something lbs?... let's say 8500. The Tacoma is 4500, so 4k lbs of beefed up stuff plus camper. That seems like too much actually, maybe I'm mistaken... :unsure:

Curious why you think that's important? We always knew it would be way over GVWR.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've either seen it written or heard it in a video. 8,000 something lbs?... let's say 8500. The Tacoma is 4500, so 4k lbs of beefed up stuff plus camper. That seems like too much actually, maybe I'm mistaken... :unsure:

Curious why you think that's important? We always knew it would be way over GVWR.

Still trying to gauge how viable the product is. Yes, any reasonable assessment indicated it would be well over GVWR, but even with that criteria there are levels of sanity. Factory GVWR is 5600 lbs, so a full-up weight of 8000lbs is 46% over the GVWR, or essentially 300+% of original payload.

Everyone will gauge the margins for themselves.

Reactions: mog

skirunman

We are another RV/Overlanding startup company based in Reno like TruckHouse. Hoping to create even more momentum for companies based in the area. We know these guys and they are doing something pretty cool, but with the obvious challenges others have mentioned so I won't repeat. We wish them all the success. If you are interested in something built on a Transit AWD chassis check us out.
or this thread https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-transit-with-composite-camper-aeonrv.227478/

If this is not OK to post this then please have a mod delete, not entirely sure about the rules, thanks.

Last edited:

cobro92

Now, if someone would just build something like the AEONrv on an E350 with a Quigley 4x4 or UJoint 4x4 we would have something. JMO

I don’t think something like that is too far away. It would be a nice option if they could offer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
Now, if someone would just build something like the AEONrv on an E350 with a Quigley 4x4 or UJoint 4x4 we would have something. JMO

4x4 truck makes more sense... cheaper and less added work for 4x4, plus all the pickups have stiff boxed frames now, making mounting much simpler. Hate the long/tall hoods on the trucks, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles