Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well, no one is going to be "trophy trucking" with a camper that size!

A little hyperbole doesn't bother me. It was asking for $50k non-refundable deposits with nothing but a concept, no apparent outside investment, and all the important details TBD.

Yeah, that too...

Honestly, I think it’s the nerve of them asking people for that large of a non refundable deposit without having anything actually done yet, that absolutely just blows my mind really

SitesSD

Well, no one is going to be "trophy trucking" with a camper that size!

A little hyperbole doesn't bother me. It was asking for $50k non-refundable deposits with nothing but a concept, no apparent outside investment, and all the important details TBD.

I feel like anyone that actually understands how "trophy truck suspension" is designed to function would be terrified to drive a truck that had it with a large camper on the back.

4000lbsOfGoat

Although it's been said, I just have to say it again - this doesn't make any sense on a Tacoma. I drive a Tacoma. I love my Tacoma. It has advantages and disadvantages but the primary advantage is that it's SMALL. It's easy to get around in tight spaces in the woods. My Tacoma is probably overbuilt (and heavy) but it's at least the same size it was from the factory. Once you throw a giant camper on the back and make it 12 feet tall you have lost the biggest advantage a Tacoma has while being left with all of the disadvantages...So they replaced the rear axle, re-geared and offer a supercharger for "more power"...Seems like they should have just started with a different truck....

Porkchopexpress

I feel like anyone that actually understands how "trophy truck suspension" is designed to function would be terrified to drive a truck that had it with a large camper on the back.
I haven't watched trophy truck racing recently but I remember in "Dust to Glory", trophy trucks would lean and squat around corners in the street sections. Definitely designed for a very specific task at the expense of street handling.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I can’t wrap my head around the size. Does anyone have interior dimensions? It looks like a hobbit house on wheels.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I signed up for the email newsletter for humor value.

An excerpt of the madness:

“We’ve been inundated with new BCT orders and inquiries since our initial launch in January, and the confidence you have put in our product and team is truly inspiring.”

Inundated with orders for it... ya mean, lots of non refundable $50k deposits? I’ll 100% call BS ?

If nothing else, they do produce some great humor

rruff

Explorer
Probably just a shell at this point, but it's great to see that they are building. Hopefully they'll get a finished unit done before long, and we can really see what they're about.

IMO though... a production camper that size should be on a 1 ton.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
IMO though... a production camper that size should be on a 1 ton.

At minimum

I think what bothers me so much about this/them is their willingness to take peoples hard earned money for non refundable deposits before they even have a working unit to test and make adjustments before hitting market.

All the drawings / renderings in the world aren’t going to be able to determine what works and what doesn’t in real life

simple

Adventurer
I'm not 100% sure the going for a rip photo is real. So hard to tell these days with CG. Has anyone seen a video?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier