Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thx Pugs, that is some relatively new technology for me. Do you have any recommendations for this?
We use the systems from Cruise N Comfort. I think EarthRoamer uses them as well (or at least did at one time). EarthCruiser uses someone else, don't remember who though.

pugslyyy

This thing is vaporware and I'll bet it never comes to market.

Far too many things working against it. Maybe if it was on a single cab 70 series from an established builder. All they have shown is renderings.

I hope they do make it, there's plenty of demand out there. I think the biggest challenge they have is bringing it in under 1285 pounds (the Taco payload capacity) - I just have a hard time seeing how to get there.

rruff

Explorer
There are some good DC air conditioning options out there these days.

Still takes a lot of batteries and solar. More than a rig this size could easily support.

I hope they do make it, there's plenty of demand out there. I think the biggest challenge they have is bringing it in under 1285 pounds (the Taco payload capacity) - I just have a hard time seeing how to get there.

It doesn't appear that is in the plan; they've instead beefed up the frame and have a custom axle.

pugslyyy

It doesn't appear that is in the plan; they've instead beefed up the frame and have a custom axle.
That may make it handle better, but neither of those changes modify the GVWR or load capacity. Upfitter changes can decrease the factory GVWR but there is no way to increase it once it leaves the factory.

(Technically adding plates to the frame or trussing the axle will make the truck heavier, which will effectively decrease the payload capacity.)

I'm not saying that you can't modify a vehicle to run better overweight (I had an 18,500 pound Fuso expedition vehicle on a 14,000 pound chassis), but it is still overweight with all the potential liability that comes with it.

rruff

Explorer
That may make it handle better, but neither of those changes modify the GVWR or load capacity.

Yes, I know. For warranty (from Toyota), insurance, and manufacturer liability I can see big problems. Unless they can somehow get it qualified at a higher GVWR? Seems like that would be impossible... but I don't know how GVWR is derived in the first place.

Seems silly to pretend this is real. Do you see anything that would convince you that this is more than the barest concept?

pugslyyy

Yes, I know. For warranty (from Toyota), insurance, and manufacturer liability I can see big problems. Unless they can somehow get it qualified at a higher GVWR? Seems like that would be impossible... but I don't know how GVWR is derived in the first place.

Seems silly to pretend this is real. Do you see anything that would convince you that this is more than the barest concept?
If there was a way to increase GVWR we would all be doing it. :)

Most of the imagery on their website is renderings, but I believe this is a real photo. I know how difficult it is to bring a product to market and wish them the best. I get that a lot of their claims are aspirational at this point, that's how it goes.

8c90fe_d1191b0e74024dc69b3892698135efbe_mv2.png

shirk

They really should release the technical details on GVWR. But hey they're featured on Hypebeast so we know they have marketing on lock.

Riptide

Explorer
I think its an awesome effort from what I see, and look forward to more details as they come out. Nice job so far, Truckhouse!!

rruff

Explorer
I think its an awesome effort...

It's an awesome marketing job. It's everywhere on the internet. But it takes a lot more than marketing and graphic design to build rigs like this...

Most of the imagery on their website is renderings, but I believe this is a real photo.

(y)The best evidence is that the camper appears to be unpainted! I'd be way more impressed with details on the construction of the unfinished camper, than renderings and a list of vague specs. Does it look like it's molded to you? If they have the molds done, then that would be something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles