Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

rruff

Explorer

Truckhouse_TacoFront_Final2-2048x1220.jpg

1) Looks good!
2) It's surely over GVWR....
3) Frame and axle are both beefed up so probably ok... but door sticker sticklers won't be happy.
4) Toyota probably won't be happy either. Warranty?
5) Base price (not as shown above) is $285k... ouch. Does that include the truck? Because they mention assisting you with the purchase of the truck.
6) No address.
7) $50k deposit. Non refundable.
8) Has a prototype even been built?
9) Very light on details.
10) Who are these guys? Why should we trust that they can deliver?

After seeing what can happen to a $50k deposit even when dealing with a well established and respected company, this seems risky as hell. Is this kind of thing normal?

Even if it's legit, why would you pick this over a rig that uses a more heavy duty base truck and costs about the same or less?... like Nimbl, Earthcruiser, Adventure Truck, AT Overland, Bahn, etc?

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
5) Base price (not as shown above) is $285k... ouch. Does that include the truck? Because they mention assisting you with the purchase of the truck.

Yup, Taco included (3 models to choose from?) as explained In the tiniest of gray text at the bottom of one page:

1.The Introductory Base price includes The Truck Estimate and a Stage I BCT Modification. The Truck Estimate is an estimate of the cost of the 2021, Toyota Tacoma Sport Access Cab, with the TRD Premium Sport Package (“Truck”), which is to be purchased directly by customer from an authorized Toyota dealership. TruckHouse Ltd. makes no representations or warranties regarding the actual cost of the Truck which is subject to change for reasons outside the control of TruckHouse Ltd. Please contact an authorized Toyota dealership for exact Truck pricing.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This is a really hot looking prototype and while likely a stronger, better build than my Tiger (they both do look kinda similar) I’ll stick with the Tiger for lots less dinero.

Some obs...

1. You’re seriously going to be putting a 32” tv in an “overland” rig like this! Really?
2. Snorkel use in deep enough soup might get water inside of the camper (see bottom of the door height above ground).
3. Highest level build includes a/c but doesn’t seem to list a genny. You gonna run that offn just the batts?
4. Interior doesn’t seem to have enough storage...few cabinets are shown in the diagram.
5. The weight issues...while Maltec seems to have figured out how to successfully build a self contained small rig and keep the weight ok (so we know this can be done), I agree with Rruff that the packed weight of this rig might be a concern

For folks on a tight budget, they might consider a different brand’s cheaper, inflatable “beta” version:

0FE006DA-717F-4053-A4F7-67FEA1931E5E.jpeg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
More thoughts...

Why require a TRD Pro (for stage 3), when that is primarily an upgraded suspension... which will then get replaced? Is it just so the rear captains chairs match?

I'm not convinced they have a working prototype. There are no detailed photos of their work. The photos that exist look like they could be photoshopped... but I'm definitely no expert on that.

Even though I like Toyotas, I don't see the appeal of a large camper on a Tacoma. The other companies are using 1 tons for a reason. I don't think the concept is that outrageous or overly pricey for very high quality work... but I see zero evidence that high quality work, service, or support will be forthcoming from the anonymous persons behind this venture. Why would anyone put up a $50k non refundable deposit at this point?

For folks on a tight budget, they might consider a different brand’s cheaper, inflatable “beta” version

I thought it was interesting that they said this '87 Sunrader was the inspiration. I looked them up and they were ~$22k new, or about $50k in today's money. Their cheapest TruckHouse is >5x more expensive.

Lola%2520the%2520dog%2520in%2520the%2520_Yotahome4.webp

lbarcher

Adventurer
What would the ideal occupant size be for this thing? I love the concept but I don't think a couple of slightly
above average or even average sized people would be comfortable in a Tacoma based camper.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Let's see......fat as a Tundra but underpowered......not like a Tundra. WhyTF would they bother with all of this on a Tacoma? I hope responses aren't going to include words like 'more nimble' or 'smaller'.
Exactly my thoughts. The weight would likely not be an issue if it was on a Tundra/F150/1500 chassis or larger. The size difference would not make any difference either given you're not going on tight trails with a camper that size anyhow.

Awesome design and pics tho.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Their marketing department did an outstanding job getting it published on several platforms on the same day! Not easy to do.
The visual appeal is there, no question about it. I also love the carbon fibre technology. When it comes to camper construction they did a lot right. The price is sadly where it needs to be for such a build. (not saying it's cheap!) As others have mentioned, this camper should sit at least on a 1 ton truck. The liability for building an overloaded vehicle is huge for any manufacturer. How do you insure this without proper weight rating? Or are you "just" insure it as a regular truck (worth $50.000) and take the loss if the rest is totalled? There are a lot of questions. I'm sure the builders are reading along.... Maybe they can chip in and debunk all of the questions.

In any case, I would love to see this on the road, we need innovation!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
As others have mentioned, this camper should sit at least on a 1 ton truck. The liability for building an overloaded vehicle is huge for any manufacturer. How do you insure this without proper weight rating? Or are you "just" insure it as a regular truck (worth $50.000) and take the loss if the rest is totalled?

That’s certainly a very interesting observation and a thought provocative question from a reputable, experienced, “been there, done that” builder.

So yeah, how exactly would a custom vehicle manufacturer be able to get a rig ‘approved‘ by the relevant governing authorities for use on public roads or registered by state MVD’s if the rig was overweight (compared to the OEM’s numbers) from day one, right out the door?

rruff

Explorer
There are a lot of questions. I'm sure the builders are reading along.... Maybe they can chip in and debunk all of the questions.

I'd be impressed if there are any "builders" at all. It appears to be nothing but a concept.

I looked all over their website for some "meat" and didn't find any. No actual camper evident, no details on the truck mods, no details on the camper equipment, no names, no address, no facilities, no allusion to qualifications even, and no delivery promises. Just a few images that appear to be photoshopped, and some slick marketing. Very little investment. I won't call it a scam because I also couldn't find any outright lies.

This sort of marketing just makes me livid. Unfortunately too many people have zero concept of what it takes to design, build, deliver, and support something like this. A lot of expertise and investment is required... not marketing and graphic design!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is a really hot looking prototype and while likely a stronger, better build than my Tiger (they both do look kinda similar) I’ll stick with the Tiger for lots less dinero.

Some obs...

1. You’re seriously going to be putting a 32” tv in an “overland” rig like this! Really?
It may be that at this price point they felt it was an option that they needed to have available, even if a lot of customers wouldn't choose it.
2. Snorkel use in deep enough soup might get water inside of the camper (see bottom of the door height above ground).
A lot of people add them for looks, but snorkels do allow you to pull cleaner (less dusty) air.
3. Highest level build includes a/c but doesn’t seem to list a genny. You gonna run that offn just the batts?
There are some good DC air conditioning options out there these days.
4. Interior doesn’t seem to have enough storage...few cabinets are shown in the diagram.
They likely haven't finalized the interior layout.
5. The weight issues...while Maltec seems to have figured out how to successfully build a self contained small rig and keep the weight ok (so we know this can be done), I agree with Rruff that the packed weight of this rig might be a concern
Remember that companies like Maltec have access to higher capacity chassis than are available in the US. It makes a huge difference to be able to build on a Hilux v. a Tacoma, even if they look very similar from a sheetmetal perspective.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
There are some good DC air conditioning options out there these days.They likely haven't finalized the interior layout.

Thx Pugs, that is some relatively new technology for me. Do you have any recommendations for this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles