Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

rruff

Explorer
I thought about mentioning the allure of the Sunrader. I don't personally want anything this small but many do.
The Sunrader was cheap; ~$50-60k in today's money. It's a very different market vs a $300-400k rig.

These days is there anything in an offroad worthy 4x4 chassis and camper for <$100k? Or even $200k? Not enough margin to build for pofolk I guess. But building your own, or setting up a truck camper isn't bad. It won't be a small or light rig though...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
but I believe this is a real photo.

View attachment 636769

After looking at this closely, then saving it and bringing it into Photostop to play around with, i am 98% sure its fake and completely photoshopped.

The scale and shading is all off. Look close around the edges of both guys, thats not natural or normal.

Also, i know snorkels are large, but the way they scaled this, the snorkel head is bigger than dude on the lefts entire head.

Nope, not buying into any of their shenanigans..

If it was REAL and they had one BUILT, they need a video and details.

Teasers with poorly photoshopped photos and very limited info does nothing but irritate people, and start rumors. #marketingfail

rruff

Explorer
The scale and shading is all off. Look close around the edges of both guys, thats not natural or normal.

I noticed that as well... but then thought maybe the lighting was weird. If it's fake it seems strange that the camper looks unpainted in that photo.

I totally agree that if I was a potential customer with $50k in hand, I'd want to see what they'd actually built... not just on this unit, but prior projects. Composite structures, camper building, vehicle suspension design... at the very least. If they don't have that experience, then they need to show who they've hired that does. And enough faith in themselves... and investors who have enough faith in them and their business plan... to self fund at least 1 fully working prototype that people can drive!

I take that back... no, they need enough prototype testing and investment in facilities and personnel to just start producing the damn things. That $50k would barely cover material and parts for one build, so they are doomed if they think that's going to get them started.

Sadly many people are so naive and ignorant about designing and building things, they believe that if you have pretty renderings and a list of specs, and $$$... you just push a button and and an expedition camper pops out!

Porkchopexpress

Earthroamer used to make a jeep version of their camper. I think the new Jeep pickup would make a lot more sense than the Tacoma as a platform. It has a solid front axle and more powerful drivetrain, even a diesel i believe.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Earthroamer used to make a jeep version of their camper. I think the new Jeep pickup would make a lot more sense than the Tacoma as a platform. It has a solid front axle and more powerful drivetrain, even a diesel i believe.
I am definitely a solid axle fan. The only thing we own with it is my wife's Honda Element. :)

We will build on a Chevy if a customer really wants, but I've seen enough Chevy/GMC IFS steering failures to want no part of it, personally.

s.e.charles

.... many people are ... ignorant about designing and building things, they believe that if you have pretty renderings and a list of specs, and $$$... you just push a button....

ever see what passes for "quality" in the residential construction business? most of what i see being built are '5 year houses' - basically the life of flexible adhesive caulking. people with too much money build a picture, and then move on, leaving owner #2 with the maintenance problems.

autism family travels

I hope they do make it, there's plenty of demand out there. I think the biggest challenge they have is bringing it in under 1285 pounds (the Taco payload capacity) - I just have a hard time seeing how to get there.

They have redesigned the frame and what not to take more than the taco payload.

autism family travels

ever see what passes for "quality" in the residential construction business? most of what i see being built are '5 year houses' - basically the life of flexible adhesive caulking. people with too much money build a picture, and then move on, leaving owner #2 with the maintenance problems.
Agree on this one. The building materials today are no more than glue and sawdust. Hence the reasons why in our area if someone has a house fire, they have only seconds to get out before the entire house is consumed by glue fueled fire. I beam truss are terrible. they collapse in seconds if hit by fire. My house, which we built new in 1994 (was my parents house at the time) is all solid wood, with match lumber on the exterior instead of plywood or OSB. I do not hear anything outside and it's great. My last house was a new construction in 2009. It was cheap OSB exterior, I Beam floor system etc. It was like a drum. every sound just echoed through the home from outside. Wind would blow through the walls. It was a POS. Spend the extra money and get the good stuff!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
They have redesigned the frame and what not to take more than the taco payload.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to strengthen the frame and do other things that increase the capability of the chassis to safely carry weight.

What I am saying is that there is no way (that I am aware of) to increase the legal maximum weight of the vehicle (the GVWR) once it has left the factory.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Doesn't insurance get difficult if over GVWR also? I have a (bad) habit of reading the fine print on stuff and I seem to remember that our insurer could - AFTER AN ACCIDENT - deny coverage if the vehicle was deemed overweight.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's probably a fight I don't want...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior