Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

ericvs

:ROFLMAO: What are we going to "see in person"... artist renderings?

Ok, there is one picture that looks like they might have built something. But for some reason they don't want us to see what they've actually built. Or tell us their name(s) or level of expertise, or where the facility (if any) is located, etc. Here is a nice artist's rendering... send $50k to reserve yours!

They mention their names in the expo article:

TruckHouse CEO and co-founder, Matt Linder & COO and Co-founder Nicolo Monforte. don't know if that makes a difference haha.

and here is something from their webpage

1610746329912.png

86scotty

Cynic
I am kind of glad they haven't yet. I am enjoying all the experts on here tearing it apart when they haven't seen it in person. Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Look, I am absolutely an expert on the internet. It cannot be denied. Unfortunately genetics and life in general have prevented me from being an expert anywhere in real life but please do not burst my bubble.

rruff

Explorer
People were also complaining about it not being real and only having CGI pictures, but they responded that they do have an actual camper built

Yep thanks, pugslyyy caught that one photo from the front, with the two guys and a dog. At least it looks real.

Last edited:

ericvs

Yep thanks, pgslyyy caught that one photo from the front, with the two guys and a dog. At least it looks real.

Oh right, I was looking for that photo everywhere but earlier in this thread haha. yeah, that is the only photo I have seen of it looking somewhat real.

rruff

Explorer
Found something interesting. They won a $50k award for the concept and business plan in 2019. Sounds like they are recent college grads. Monforte has Mech Eng and MBA degrees, so he has aptitude for some important aspects of making a venture like this work.

Sontag_winners_Nicolo_and_Matt(0).jpg

billiebob

I'm definitely a fan of the side door and love the square windows.
Good ground clearance, nice balance of rearover hand vs departure angle.
I'm sure someone will buy one.

Looks a bit wide and the cabover bunk is definitely bigger than I would want.

Truckhouse_TacoFront_Final2-2048x1220.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
The front facing windows were a major leak issue with the original Sunraiders.
The truck looks great but pricing and GVW add up to a concept vehicle only.

rruff

Explorer
I just don't get why they would use a Taco if you are going to charge that much and build something custom... use the right truck.
Don't you want wiggle room in your payload?

It's going to be well over GVWR, but they are planning to fully box and reinforce the rear of the chassis, and it has a custom rear axle (hopefully full floating?). I'll be surprised if they can make it <1000 lbs over. More likely >2,000 lbs with people and gear. Tacomas have a 1,100 lb payload.

That's probably why they require the purchaser to buy the truck first. That way it's just like buying a truck and paying someone to mod it. Being over GVWR is the buyer's problem then. TruckHouse would need to warranty any of the mods they make. Not sure how Toyota would feel about it.

The niche they are going for must be people who *really* like Tacomas... I guess.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Found something interesting. They won a $50k award for the concept and business plan in 2019. Sounds like they are recent college grads. Monforte has Mech Eng and MBA degrees, so he has aptitude for some important aspects of making a venture like this work.

Sontag_winners_Nicolo_and_Matt(0).jpg

That is exactly how AEV got started - a business plan that Dave Harriton put together as part of his university program.

Fadeagray

I see two targets for their marketing campaign, consumers and investors. At this point in the development of a company, with no product sales, deposits and a good business plan are the only way to attract investors.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I see two targets for their marketing campaign, consumers and investors. At his point in the development of a company, with no product sales, deposits and a good business plan are the only way to attract investors.

Seems backwards. How do you get deposits with no product or investors? Are there really people willing to give them a $50k check (non refundable), and hope it all works out?

The least I'd want to see is a working prototype that has been thoroughly tested... and that they have funds, equipment, and personel to do the job. Otherwise the *best* scenario is that you get the rig at some point and you are the alpha tester. The worst scenario is that your $50k disappears. Seems way too risky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior