Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

tacollie

Land traveler
I didn't notice they put in a 33 gal tank! Good for range bad for payload.....using @calicamper calcs of 6-9, lets assume 8, looks like we are still at ~250 miles range. I bet a full size gas rig is better than that....I know my Ram 2500 hemi gets better MPG than my 2019 Ranger towing our 20' trailer in hilly terrain....I'd expect a full size gas rig to get 9-10.
I assume they get 11-12. That's what my heavy Tacoma's would get and that's what I get with my 6.2L F250 with 35s and a FWC. If I keep it under 65 I can do better. I have huge axles, brakes, and fit 35s stock. The FWC isn't really heavy enough for the camper overloads on my stock springs🤣

nickw

Adventurer
I assume they get 11-12. That's what my heavy Tacoma's would get and that's what I get with my 6.2L F250 with 35s and a FWC. If I keep it under 65 I can do better. I have huge axles, brakes, and fit 35s stock. The FWC isn't really heavy enough for the camper overloads on my stock springs🤣
Does your heavy Tacoma have tall camper / shell on the back too? I brought home a fridge for some friends that stuck a good 3' above the cab on my Ranger, mileage went from 21-23 on a flat hwy to 17 over 200 miles....

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Just saw this. Gorgeous but really on a Tacoma? I own a Taco and love, yet know the limitations! My F150 is dong the deed and believe a better platform then the Taco is in my future.

I'm in search of pre '85 that isn't trashed.. 3/4 to 1 ton..

This on a Taco? Hmm.. Not from what I see in mine! Not what I would want to do to mine to make it capable.

JMHO on the matter.

ABBB

Just saw this. Gorgeous but really on a Tacoma? I own a Taco and love, yet know the limitations! My F150 is dong the deed and believe a better platform then the Taco is in my future.

I'm in search of pre '85 that isn't trashed.. 3/4 to 1 ton..

This on a Taco? Hmm.. Not from what I see in mine! Not what I would want to do to mine to make it capable.

JMHO on the matter.
I wonder if they considered a Ford and I wonder if they thought that they’d get considerably less interest in their product if they went that route vs Tacoma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I wonder if they considered a Ford and I wonder if they considered that they’d get considerably less interesting their product if they went that route vs Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they had the Taco and wanted to build their dream camper / desert racer and what better way to pay for the build with deposits from dreamers. I bet they never build more than 2😆

Steve_382

I think they had the Taco and wanted to build their dream camper / desert racer and what better way to pay for the build with deposits from dreamers. I bet they never build more than 2😆
I think they might. Here is a link to their IG page with a video of two units going down the road.

roving1

The build quality on that video really does look amazing. There is so much Tacoma bro in that video it makes me want to hurl though. So confused lol.

A sleeps 2 version of this on a reg cab and a little smaller shell would make so much more sense as a small but super nimble thing with some hope of being in the ball park of GVWR. Be a modern day Maltec alternative for domestic consumption. Scale up for Tundra and Ram for the bigger sleeps 4 stuff.