Thoughts on the new Tahoe Z71/Yukon AT4?

The 2021 Tahoe Z71's are already out at the dealership, and the Yukon AT4's are coming out shortly.

Omitting the departure angle, whats everyone thoughts on it? I think its interesting they did away with solid axles, but also give it an air suspension + magnetic ride to where it can lift itself up an added 4 inches.

1595742523828.png

gatorgrizz27

None of that is new tech, Land Rover has been using everything besides the magnetic damper adjustment off road for 15 years, so it’s proven.

Clearance is better, especially in ruts, and the GM 10 bolts weren’t that great in the first place, so I don’t see it as much of a loss. Traction control does become much more important, so hopefully their system works well.

The only negative to IRS I find is when towing on the highway. Hitting bumps you can feel the trailer move sideways about an inch. It doesn’t turn into sway but can be unsettling until you get used to it. I believe it’s due to the track width changing when the suspension compresses and it moves the trailer tongue laterally.

Size wise, the Suburban’s/XL’s are regular cab long bed pickup dimensions, so the width becomes more of an issue in tight areas off road than the length and wheelbase.

I do like the fact that you can still get a decent sized V-8 and a 2-speed transfer case, both of those are largely going by the wayside. I’d read up about the 10 speed transmissions to see if they’ve fixed the issues they were having when they came out.

ttengineer

Adventurer
They look better than the old body style I think, personally.

I was hoping that the market would force prices lower and dealers more eager to deal but my experience lately has been that they are still operating as if they can’t keep cars on the lot.

As far as the new design, I think it’s fine if not ideal for back roads and FS roads. Even the occasional off road track would be fine. Anything technical though and I think you’ll be out gunned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Explorer
My thoughts? Looks like GM is yet again following the lead of Ford.

The Expedition went to IRS back in 2003. The Expedition ditched its removable 3rd row in favor of an integrated fold flat 3rd row in 2003- GM made the switch in something like 2016. GM poked fun at Ford for using aluminum body panels and has been slowly transitioning over on its vehicles to save weight. Ford came out with turbo engines in their trucks..... then so did GM.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
?????

Following F*rds lead? Hardly

IRS does a lot of good with faulty timing chain tensioners and self ejecting spark plugs.

LoL. Is that all you got? That was like 20 years ago. And I owned one of those plug ejecting, timing chain eating motors. I put 265k miles on it and never got to experience either of those things. Maybe it happens after 300k miles.

But who knows, maybe in 5 years GM will put a key pad on their doors. What else can they steal from Ford?

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm a chevy guy. I'd never buy a new GM, the Ford trucks are doing everything better recently.

This is nothing but some decals and a marketing package. I'm sure the traction control will prohibit any real off road ability, but we'll see what happens when it gets tested. That being said, I'm sure it'll be a fine family hauler.

utherjorge

Observer
I was hoping that the market would force prices lower and dealers more eager to deal but my experience lately has been that they are still operating as if they can’t keep cars on the lot.

Due to COVID shenanigans, I've read that many dealers truly can't get the vehicles they need to sell...plus it's a new year for the next shiny thing. I wouldn't expect any meaningful drop in prices.

The Bronco "undercutting" the Wrangler will be everyone's test to see if any price drop matters. Add to that Toyota's claim to make the next Landcruiser cheaper, and we're all about to see how this experiment works.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
It seems alright. My neighbor has the prior body style Z71 Tahoe and I like it much better...But as others have said, I feel GM has not really produced anything special in the last decade or so. With the exception of the corvette, their quality and design is mediocre at best.

I'm more interested in seeing the AT4 over the Z71

Jacobm

I just wish you could get the 3.0 diesel like you can in the Sierra AT4. I understand there's packaging issues but it'd have been awesome to have an AT4 Yukon that also gets 30mpg on the highway, or at least close to it. In my area diesel and 87 E10 are about the same price, so it'd cut my fuel cost to 1/3 of what they are now for not much loss in function, at least for me personally.

ttengineer

Adventurer
The price for a well equipped Tahoe/Yukon absolutely deters me from ever wanting one.

TFL just posted a video of a Z71 Tahoe that was priced at $78k. Sorry but I’m not spending that on a GM. A German car sure. But not on a GM. The interiors, no matter how well appointed, still feel cheap when compared to the Germans.

Plus you can no longer get a bench seat in the middle which is my line in the sand. I don’t want to be able to see all my junk in the back from the front seat. It not only creates a situation where stuff can fly forward, but also removes the cargo cover in the rear allowing derelicts to peek in for snatch and grabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The price for a well equipped Tahoe/Yukon absolutely deters me from ever wanting one.

TFL just posted a video of a Z71 Tahoe that was priced at $78k. Sorry but I’m not spending that on a GM. A German car sure. But not on a GM. The interiors, no matter how well appointed, still feel cheap when compared to the Germans.

Plus you can no longer get a bench seat in the middle which is my line in the sand. I don’t want to be able to see all my junk in the back from the front seat. It not only creates a situation where stuff can fly forward, but also removes the cargo cover in the rear allowing derelicts to peek in for snatch and grabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
78k is crazy, but someone is buying them, just not me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier