Thoughts on the new Melowave Overlander ANM-123G (GMRS)

donmontalvo

I just snapped my Wouxun ANO-050G antenna on a weekend overlanding trip. It was a 5/8 wave GMRS antenna that worked great and was mounted at the back of my Jeep. It stuck up far enough over my roof, for one of the many branches to snap it off the mount (can't be fixed). Luckily I carry spares, so I mounted a Rugged Radios ANT-SPARE-KIT-U 1/2 wave antenna and was able to communiate with our group of a dozen or so vehicles.

When I got home I decided to shop around for something more durable. The Laird Technologies B4505CNS was recommended by some friends. It's similar to the one that broke, except it has a spring at it's base, so it should be more durable.

After I hit the "buy" button, I got an email from a buddy suggesting I look at a new product, the Melowave Overlander ANM-123G, which looks very durable. I haven't been able to find any reviews on it. Anyone have one of these? I don't want to be a scream test. :)

I should receive the Laird by Friday, and I'll get a chance to test it on an AOAA trip I'm going on on Saturday. So I'm not dead in the water.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:

Swr377

Don, I just received my Melowave antenna this week and installed it yesterday. I had a a ghost antenna mounted on my RR and it got destroyed on the trails from trees. With this mounted out front and much more rugged and the spring mount I’m hoping it will take a bit more abuse. Besides that I’ve seen the improvement in getting back on a GMRS repeater that is marginal where I live, on the edge it’s service area.

Attachments

• DCC38443-93DB-40E3-A802-A8002F8EAAF6.jpeg
    DCC38443-93DB-40E3-A802-A8002F8EAAF6.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 47

donmontalvo

Don, I just received my Melowave antenna this week and installed it yesterday. I had a a ghost antenna mounted on my RR and it got destroyed on the trails from trees. With this mounted out front and much more rugged and the spring mount I’m hoping it will take a bit more abuse. Besides that I’ve seen the improvement in getting back on a GMRS repeater that is marginal where I live, on the edge it’s service area.

Thanks for the response, and for posting the picture! I want to get it, but in the mean time I ordered a Liard B4505CNS, since it's pretty well rated, and doesn't require a ground plane.

The liard seemed to hold up well at AOAA over the weeked, though the branches in last weekend's New Hampshire trip were less forgiving. :)

branches.png

Any chance you can post pics of the info that came with it, since the company doesn't offer much info? Mostly need to know if it requires a ground plane. Unfortunately I can't use any that require a ground plane, since my roof is made of fiber/carbon (Jeep hard top), and I don't always have my iKamper mounted (I'd put a plate on it).

On a side note, I never had luck with ghost antennas, unless I'm in a tight caravan. 1/2 wave antennas have worked well for me if I have them mounted high(ish). 5/8 wave antennas have been the best for me, and I think that's what the Melowave antenna is (though the little available info shows it is "2 x 5/8 wave" whatever that means).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke