Thoughts on the Edelbrock supercharger for JK

rho

Lost again
I have an AEV 2.5" lift and find the Rubicon to be very comfortable and driveable with the 4:10's, just want more power. I have not considered regearing since I'm not even running 35"s.

Who said I had $6k to spend? :D

The NSG370 is the biggest factor in the general slow "feel" of the JK's, IMO. That said, I have 4.56's in my JKU and ran it that way for a year+ with 33's and it was fantastic. I didn't have to downshift for anything, First gear wasn't ever really used because you could just let the clutch in and it'd go. Its been a bit of performance hit with 35 on there now, but the increase in power is huge. That said, going from 4.10's to 4.56's won't be a huge jump if you just plan on staying at the size you have and its like 2k to just do gears. Some big tradeoffs, IMHO but I'd still suggest gears over a super charger. The 3.6 won't ever have that down low torque that we want in a jeep so letting it get up into its happier power band is sometimes needed.

What about a performance cam, tune, and headers? More power and depending on the cam specs you can put the power where you want it.

Those won't help a 3.6 much, if at all and would be a ton of cost.

You'll need a dyno to double check your AFR's. "Factory Tune'' people are always trouble.

I'd also go gears first. 4.88-5.13. And lose some weight if your jeep is as porky as some of the others 'round here.

4.88's would be too low for the OP's use, imo. If he was planning on 35's down the road, that might be acceptable, but it'd still be hard to live with on the street on a daily basis.

86scotty

Cynic
You'll need a dyno to double check your AFR's. "Factory Tune'' people are always trouble.

I'd also go gears first. 4.88-5.13. And lose some weight if your jeep is as porky as some of the others 'round here.

Jeep's never gonna get lighter, only heavier. Using it as an overlander for long trips. I've had every kind of van/truck imaginable and I'm enjoying the heck out of the Jeep, even with it's limited space we find it more comfortable than lots of offroad vans and trucks we've had. We carry lots of gear, food, RTT, etc. etc. That's why I want more horsepower. Gearing, maybe.

Anyway, this thread is getting further and further away from discussion of superchargers for the 3.6l, which was my intent.

thardin68

Jeep's never gonna get lighter, only heavier. Using it as an overlander for long trips. I've had every kind of van/truck imaginable and I'm enjoying the heck out of the Jeep, even with it's limited space we find it more comfortable than lots of offroad vans and trucks we've had. We carry lots of gear, food, RTT, etc. etc. That's why I want more horsepower. Gearing, maybe.

Anyway, this thread is getting further and further away from discussion of superchargers for the 3.6l, which was my intent.
Sorry I can't help specifically with the Edelbrock or provide actual experience, but I have a sprintex unit with intercooler in my Garage, waiting to go on. I have done some research over the years planning for it. I agree with the guy who posted regarding a shop tune with goal of reliability versus performance. The mindset of tuners it typically to get all of the performance they can and to find that "edge". Stick with safe tunes and you will be much better off in the long haul. Read up on tuners and how they interface before you make the decision.

Also, with respect to gearing, a supercharger will offset the desire to lower your gearing. A roots style supercharger makes its power much lower in the RPM range. So gears AND a supercharger may actually not work that well.

I held off thinking I was going to just go with a hemi conversion, but decided to try the MUCH cheaper option first.....

Justincredible

Adventurer
Re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88 will help you maintain or slightly improve your current power feel when going to bigger tires, but based on what you're saying (32" or 33" tires and looking for power on the highway) I think you're on the right track with the supercharger.

Maybe my butt dyno is broken, but I didn't feel this life changing oomph that others talk about when I went from 3.73 to 4.56 gears. I do feel it when in low range though.

Edelbrock has always made quality supercharger kits that included everything you need in my experience. If I were going that route they'd definitely be on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles