Thoughts on the Edelbrock supercharger for JK

86scotty

Cynic
I'm in pursuit of a little more power for my 2016 3.6 JKU. MIne is a 6 speed and though I absolutely love it it is a dog in traffic. I know it's a Jeep and I don't drive mine daily but getting passed by Kias on small hills just bugs me. Also, I'm hoping to build a trailer out soon for longer adventures.

Edelbrock seems to have the tuning and reliability worked out on this one. Anyone else considering? I would love to drop $20k on a Hemi or LS swap but for $5-6k this just seems like a no brainer. Stock fuel efficiency is supposedly maintained if/when you keep your foot out of it.

Anyone else thinking in this direction?

D

Deleted member 9101

I say go for it, especially since its not a daily driver.

86scotty

Cynic
I say go for it, especially since its not a daily driver.

It is an overlander though. We do long trips, several thousand miles. It looks to be reliable but......

That said, it has a 36000 mile warranty at the recommended 8 psi boost.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

It is an overlander though. We do long trips, several thousand miles. It looks to be reliable but......

Tune it right and reliability is not an issue. Additional HP/TQ doesn't harm motors, its bad timing, detonation, and air/ fuel ratios that cause problems. As long as the shop that tunes it isn't seeking every ounce of power out of your set up, you will maintain factory reliability and driveability.

86scotty

Cynic
That shop will be me. I’ll be doing the install myself with the factory Edelbrock tune and no other mods. Factory exhaust and air intake. Factory Rubicon gearing and 33”s.

As of now I’m not sure if the 2016 uses the SCT tuner for reflash or requires sending PCM in for Edelbrock to reflash. I’m seeing conflicting info on this. I’ll call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
I have an AEV 2.5" lift and find the Rubicon to be very comfortable and driveable with the 4:10's, just want more power. I have not considered regearing since I'm not even running 35"s.

Who said I had $6k to spend? :D

bluejeep

just a guy
I was where you are now, sourcing a sc to aid my LJ on the highway, also pulling a small camping trailer. Then my mind was changed (enlightened) to 'correcting' my gears. Biggest issue to overcome was that my 6 cyl 4.0 liter does not mind 2800 rpm give or take to maintain highway speeds (trailer or not). I realized thats what i was running anyway after having to downshift from 6th to 4th , except now changing to 4.88's on my 35's i will be running that rpm at approx 75mph, instead of a lot slower! Changed from 4.10 to 4.88

G0to60

Observer
I too will echo the gears suggestion. Getting some 4.56 gears will help out but not compromise your top end too much on the highway.

Also, I've found that adding complexity to your engine isn't the best for reliability. If your Jeep was only going to be doing day trips on the trail and short hops then it's not a big deal but long distance in the middle of no where means you need to bring tools and parts for the extra bits you added in case they break.

D

Deleted member 9101

What about a performance cam, tune, and headers? More power and depending on the cam specs you can put the power where you want it.

86scotty

Cynic
That's all well and good but it's another discussion entirely. So is gearing. I started the thread hoping to hear from some people that have done this, Edelbrock or any other make. Haven't heard from anyone. Edelbrock says this is their best selling product in years and they are selling a ton of them, just wondering who is buying them and what their experience has been.

Sure, there's Youtube, but it's always very one-sided.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You'll need a dyno to double check your AFR's. "Factory Tune'' people are always trouble.

I'd also go gears first. 4.88-5.13. And lose some weight if your jeep is as porky as some of the others 'round here.

Bobzdar

Observer
You'll need a dyno to double check your AFR's. "Factory Tune'' people are always trouble.

I'd also go gears first. 4.88-5.13. And lose some weight if your jeep is as porky as some of the others 'round here.

Makes you wonder how the factory does it.

I might be interested if they release a JL/JT version, would be nice to have more grunt towing though the stock pentastar upgrade doesn't struggle too much, even with 5k lbs behind it. Might make it tow more easily but run hotter and stress the trans more, so not sure it'd be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles