Thoughts on the 2017+ Tahoe?

XJLI

Adventurer
After driving one for 3 years I’ll tell you it’s an under powered dog. I bet allot has to do with gearing, your buddy doesn’t get 22 mpg, he’s lieing. My Tahoe is a 2017 premier with Michelin stock sized defender tire’s, 5.3 and oil is Mobil one advanced fuel economy since day one. Hand Ca fuel economy over 40,600 miles, average is 16.5, thats mixed city and highway.

I drove a 5500lb XJ with 190hp for 4 years, and a 4300lb Land Rover with 185hp for 3 years, so these new trucks might as well be the Millennium Falcon.

Driving from NY to SC he sure does. And I drive my father in law's Silverado regularly and it'll crack 24 on 2 hour highway drives. City? Well yea sure as ******** you aren't getting more than 14-15. I'm sure your driving habits don't help if you think it's underpowered.

XJLI

Adventurer
A 5500lb XJ? o_O As in an XJ Jeep Cherokee?

Was it armored or were you carrying lead weights?

Curb weight of an XJ was under 3500lbs IIRC. I don't even think the GVWR of an XJ was 5500.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa. Exo cage, 44/60, fully plated and armored, etc. Geared to 5.13s, it actually managed pretty OK for what it was. But it was SLOWWWWW.

My 93 before that was a lighter and much more 'expo-rated' and scaled at like 3800 loaded for a long trip. Then I got hit by the rock crawling and jeepspeed bug when I built the 98.

Grassland

We live in the age of base model V6s with 300+ HP
380+ HP V8s in a full size being underpowered is a really high altitude issue, or a very young person issue.

Oh yeah and an extra 2-4 gears compared to days of yore.

We live in the age of base model V6s with 300+ HP
380+ HP V8s in a full size being underpowered is a really high altitude issue, or a very young person issue.

Oh yeah and an extra 2-4 gears compared to days of yore.

Yeah, I mean the only thing I can see where the "underpowered" could come into play is weight and obstacles - however I feel like that's more torque and setup than anything.

The 2-4 gears is a wash to me. I mean, it's great to me if it means increase fuel efficiency as a daily driver, as long as its not constantly hunting gears. However, more gears = weaker typically. Evo 9 MR's used to grenade their 6spds, and people would swap in the GSR's 5spd because the syncro's were bigger.

The new Ford Super Duty Tremor's limit torque in 1st gear as well :)

D

Deleted member 9101

A 5500lb XJ? o_O As in an XJ Jeep Cherokee?

Was it armored or were you carrying lead weights?

Curb weight of an XJ was under 3500lbs IIRC. I don't even think the GVWR of an XJ was 5500.

He's just mimicking the LC guys...trying to see how much weight it can hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz