Thoughts on the 2017+ Tahoe?

Been eyeing this generation as a 80% daily/kid hauler, 20% mild overland ( being in GA there isn't as much as out west )

I havent found much information one way or another, but it seems they come with some nice goodies from the factory.

Feedback is appreciated!

XJLI

Adventurer
Program out the AFM and keep the oil fresh. A nice front end kit (coil overs and upper control arms) and some bigger tires are all you need.

phsycle

Adventurer
Be sure to get at least the max trailer package, as it adds a 2-speed transfer case. Or Z71 pkg.

D

Deleted member 9101

Are you sure you want to take a 45k+ SUV out in the woods...lol.

Explorerinil

Observer
I wouldn’t get one for an expedition vehicle. My wife traded in her SRT grand Cherokee for a tahoe when our son was born. Yes there’s allot of room and it’s reliable, however it’s grossly underpowered and gets bad fuel economy for how much of a dog it is. In reality the current Tahoe is very outdated. i would say a Tahoe is fine for a reliable vehicle that hauls kids around or goes to a grocery store, that’s about it, look at it like a soccer mom mini van for the woman that hates mini vans.

Be sure to get at least the max trailer package, as it adds a 2-speed transfer case. Or Z71 pkg.

Yeah, I was looking at the Z71

Are you sure you want to take a 45k+ SUV out in the woods...lol.

Considering I'm also looking at a 200 Series Land Cruiser/LX570, and the GX460s, its far cheaper lol

I wouldn’t get one for an expedition vehicle. My wife traded in her SRT grand Cherokee for a tahoe when our son was born. Yes there’s allot of room and it’s reliable, however it’s grossly underpowered and gets bad fuel economy for how much of a dog it is. In reality the current Tahoe is very outdated. i would say a Tahoe is fine for a reliable vehicle that hauls kids around or goes to a grocery store, that’s about it, look at it like a soccer mom mini van for the woman that hates mini vans.

How is it a dog? outside of the 5.3l v8 is sub 400hp

XJLI

Adventurer
The last thing a Tahoe can be labeled as is underpowered or a truck that gets poor MPG. My buddy gets 22 no problem with his, my father in law routinely gets 24 in his Silverado. Fuel economy is the best part about modern GM trucks.

phsycle

Adventurer
My father also has one. 2016 model. 4wd, LTZ. Gets 22mpg highway easily. Plenty of power as well.

Mawgie

Highway mpg with a modern Tahoe/Silverado will be comparatively pretty good. The 5.3 moves them around well. No sense of being underpowered to me. As a data point, my buddy has a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab High Country, 4x4, with 150k on it. He is the original owner. 16.5m-g overall since new, tons of local and city driving in his use. One thing I don’t care for in the Tahoe is how little room there is behind the rear seat. For such a sizeable truck, I thought GM could have found more room back there.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
The last thing a Tahoe can be labeled as is underpowered or a truck that gets poor MPG. My buddy gets 22 no problem with his, my father in law routinely gets 24 in his Silverado. Fuel economy is the best part about modern GM trucks.
After driving one for 3 years I’ll tell you it’s an under powered dog. I bet allot has to do with gearing, your buddy doesn’t get 22 mpg, he’s lieing. My Tahoe is a 2017 premier with Michelin stock sized defender tire’s, 5.3 and oil is Mobil one advanced fuel economy since day one. Hand Ca fuel economy over 40,600 miles, average is 16.5, thats mixed city and highway.

Explorerinil

Observer
Yeah, I was looking at the Z71

Considering I'm also looking at a 200 Series Land Cruiser/LX570, and the GX460s, its far cheaper lol

How is it a dog? outside of the 5.3l v8 is sub 400hp
Constantly down shifting to maintain speed, have to step on the gas hard to get it to move. Spend some time behind one. My friend has a suburban and he noticed the same thing.

Axlesup

my tahoe has tons of power and with a lifetime average of 18.5 MPG with over 5000 gallons of fuel logged i would say it gets great MPG for a 6000 pound 4x4 SUV.

anyway it is all in perspective. go drive a 4 cylinder truck from 80s and get back to me on what a dog is.

plumber mike

Adventurer
The 5.3 seems perfectly tuned to haul itself around. As soon as you add weight or a small trailer, it’s one of the most uninspiring engines ever.
The inability to remove the third row of seats for weight saving and cargo capacity killed the new burbs and Tahoe’s for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94