Thoughts on POR 15 for trailer build?

wvtradbow

Observer
I built a couple trailers in the past an have used numerous finishes,rustoleum,base/coat clear coat, a couple different kind of bed liners.this little M416 I'm doing now,I bought three components,the degreaser,metal prep an rust preventive paint an because I guess they're not UV resistant I got the spray top coat..My question is I believe this will be good for the frame an I was going to do the fenders black but on the lid was going to use extreme line (bed liner) an was wanting to base/coat clear coat the tub but I'm not sure these coatings will stick to POR 15 rust preventive. Has anyone tried this or I also know POR 15 makes a "tie coat" to use between finishes but the last thing I wanna see is an Expensive paint or bed liner peel off because of this : thoughts would be appreciated..

Attachments

• IMGP2199.JPG
    IMGP2199.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Top coat should work on existing paint as well over the POR-15; read the instructions of course. I did the same procedure on an axle for my Jeep last summer. After cleaning, use a lot of the metal prep, keep it very wet. When ready, there should be some rust as the chemical etches the metal. I coated my axle once with the POR-15, and soon after, I used a can of Chassis Black they used to make. Looks factory.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

4xdog

Explorer
POR-15 is probably the best corrosion preventing coating I’ve ever used (and I say that as one who worked in coatings R&D for years). It’s also one of the worst to apply, and almost impossible to clean up. I’ve used lots of the stuff.

I use disposable brushes and for sure disposable gloves, and buy the smallest cans POR sells so I don’t even try to seal them for reuse. POR-15 brushes on “thick” with lots of brush marks. Don’t try to work them out — simply let them level out. PO-15 gets thinner once it’s not being brushed and will level quite well. It will run if the wet film is too thick.

As noted, the best POR-15 corrosion coatings need a topcoat or it will get dull and chalky, eventually wearing off, if exposed to UV. POR’s Chassis Black is a good topcoat, but if one follows the topcoating instructions there are lots that will work.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
That's my question when it comes to it. It seems like a great, tough coating, but I'm curious about it's adherence to metal and any rust inhibition other then absorbing moisture as it dries. Using some sort of etch primer wouldn't be ideal to seal in the metal?

Grenadiers

Adventurer
The recommendations are for you to apply it in high humidity; it likes moisture. And the metal prep etches the metal for adherence. Easy peasy and as they say, very messy.

john61ct

Adventurer
I would not **at all** worry about the rust inhibitor sticking to properly prepped metal.

My suggestion was to ensure the top paint sticks to the metal after coated with the rust inhibitor.

Really, best is to contact the manufacturers and choose the coatings explicitly recommended to work together.

wvtradbow

Observer
Yea that's my question also,I know YouTube shows the POR 15 topcoat put right over the rust inhibitor but I'm still not sure or I should say I don't really trust that even with a tie coat that another finish won.t peel .i would like to see if anyone has any experience with another finish over POR 15

john61ct

Adventurer
Maybe OT but while we're waiting, have you got a strong reason to not just stick with one maker, maybe save a middle primer coat?

What about good ol' Rustoleum?

wvtradbow

Observer
I've had good luck with just about everything I've used an have really no complaints,including rustoleum ,I actually once painted a whole car with thinned down rustoleum in a spray gun an it turned out good,(took a week to dry) an collected dust an bugs in the garage during that time but held up well. My point with POR 15 is that I've heard about it for a long time an everyone says it's the best for restorations an this old 67 M416 is in such good shape,i just wanted to try the "best"...But to be on the safe side I'll probably strip the tub an go with an etching primer an maybe a sealer then base coat clear coat..

tte30m3

Adventurer
I did POR15 on my trailer and I'd do it again. Used their cleaner and metal prep, then POR15, followed by an oil based paint on the body and bedliner on the fenders. Working great so far.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I used POR-15 and Chassis Coat Black on my avatar ('51 Dodge Power Wagon) frame and running gear. After 10 years it is still looking good. I used a cheap HF gun and was meticulous about cleaning; gun still works.

POR-15 is, and Chassis Coat Black is NOT impervious to brake fluid; will wrinkle and peel off. CCB doesn't seem to be affected by other automotive fluids.

Never, never, never breathe in fumes!!!!! Use a fresh air breathing mask if you have one, or SR515 or SR599 filter mask and try to stay upwind (you paint outside with a filter mask).

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles