Thoughts on modifying cargo trailer

dado5

I am in need of a trailer in exactly 2 months. Long story short......Have 5 kids, traveling cross country early June for 3-4 weeks, usually take 39ft motorhome, have decided to drive and tent it! We dont fit in most camping spots we want anyways with the RV. So I usually fabricate everything i need but I dont have enough time to make a camping trailer and get it licensed in my state (very difficult for me to admit!). My wife wants a potty so I am thinking of buying a small enclosed cargo trailer (4x6 or 5x8) and modifying it slightly. Here are my plans if anyone has thoughts:

1. Spring over for more clearance and larger tires or replace with axleless suspension
2. I like the look of some teardrops with a porch on the front (if thats what it is called). I usually have 5-6 bikes with me so was thinking of extending the frame in front of the box by about 4 ft to put bikes and storage there. I would then have to probably move the axle due to tongue weight but I may be doing that anyways. I am concerned with the cheap steel I will have to work with, since I know if I built it from scratch I would have much beefier metal than these cheap trailers have.
3. I may put a RV fridge (runnign on propane and 12volt) and water tank in the back which may offset the extra tongue weight and I wont have to move the axle.

any thoughts.

ottsville

Observer
There's a bunch of builds here where people have done similar and it seems to be a viable option for some. I'm kicking around a few ideas myself, and that is one of them.

Why not just go big enough to put the bikes inside? Then you don't have to worry about them when you stop in a town somewhere nor worry about weather on them. I wouldn't bother going axleless unless it is something you plan on keeping for a while due to the cost.

How about a small toy hauler - there are some that have a bathroom/kitchen and fold down beds in the back where storage is? Or better yet, there are some that have bath/kitchen and a queen bed in the front for the adults.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Having the same dilemma here. I can't tow the 30'RV with the Jeep so I need a cargo trailer conversion for rustic camping and the big one for the campgrounds.

Judoka

Learning To Live
I built out a Tall 12'x 5'6" enclosed Motorcycle Trailer with a simple bed setup which could be raised up for storage, shelves, wardrobe and just used a flushable camping toilet. Cost including the trailer was less than $3500.00 I lived in it and traveled in it for about a year before selling it for more than I had into it. Fairly easy to modify them. Especially so if you have fabrication skills. Make it "simple" by framing it out and modify it as needed. Put up folding bunks on the sides and fit all of the kids. A 6' trailer can be set up basically like a teardrop, Just Google "Cargo trailer camper conversion and you would be shocked at how many people make them into houses! If you cannot find enough ideas just doing that then...
By all means show us your finished product!

wingysataday

Adventurer
This winter I plan on enclosing our open utility trailer. I plan on using a mix of steel and wood. I'm going for a v nose and barn doors. My problem is our Rhino utv is 74in tall and most cargo trailers are only 65inches tall. I can order a cargo trailer extra tall but that would cost $4500 7x14x 6.5ft tall. It will be fun project. I plan to slowly add conveniences over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles