thoughts on full size

D

Deleted member 9101

I think if someone is going from an older half ton to a new 3/4 you will not see much of a difference in fuel consumption . Not only are the motors more efficient but the transmissions have more gears and better lockup . Real world dumb guy thinking is this . New f 250 at 60 mph is turning 1500 RPM, old 2009 1500 GMC was turning 2700 RPM at the same speed . This is where the dumb guy though comes in . If the bigger cubic inch motor in the 250 is spinning half the speed as the smaller motor 1500 then it is gulping about the same amount of air and gas . I have not had a long enough road trip yet to do a real mileage test , but I feel I am getting about the same or even a little better gas mileage .I guess neither is great ,but not much shock factor .

A 2wd, crew cab, 2019 F250, with the 6.2 and 3.73 gears gets 14-15 mpg cruising at 75mph. Which is 1mpg less than either of my Tundras got at that speed...haha.

Yroundrdn

Observer
As work trucks, I had a 2011 Raptor- underpowered and 11 mpg max, then went to a 16 F150 2.7 EB 2WD, fun power, averaged 17mpg driving it hard, then back to a 2016 F250 4x4 with 315s, and I still haven't hit the double digits on gas, best has been 9+ . All mpg was taken from the onboard computer. With that in mind, the Raptor was the best to drive but the room of the F250 and a full size box is really nice. Still not sure what I will replace my old Suburban with 5 yrs from now but good to hear everyone's input.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I just test drove a new f150 and f250. I doubt I will go 2020, but just wanted to feel them out. The F250 feels like a truck, the F150 more like a car that can be remedied . The front end on the f250, is giant. It looks like you approach angels would be 15 deg. I still think for 21 century fords the 2000-2003 looked the best. I love the 7.3 engine and looks.
With putting 25-30k on the truck a year I am over driving 20 yr old trucks as daily drivers.
If i could a vehicle just for getting outside. I would go back to a built T100 or maybe back to an fj80 with a v8 or diesel swap. Every time I have two trucks one ends up sitting way more than it should. Sometimes I dont get out for 2 months and some months I am out for 10 days. The joys of self employment. Maybe 1 truck is not so bad after all.

Here is where I am, looking 2015-ish and up
F150-not sure about trail capability, going to have to put a decent amount into aftermarket.
F250- big on trail, will end up costing the same the end for added maintenance over the years.
Chevy ZR2 diesel, maybe even the bison- very bad tow/haul.
I am looking into somebody custom fab'ing a front bench seat for the truck.
The front seats of the chevy are nice, my dog will hate the back seat, cant leave the hound at home.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 12.02.10 PM.png

mobydick 11

I just test drove a new f150 and f250. I doubt I will go 2020, but just wanted to feel them out. The F250 feels like a truck, the F150 more like a car that can be remedied . The front end on the f250, is giant. It looks like you approach angels would be 15 deg. I still think for 21 century fords the 2000-2003 looked the best. I love the 7.3 engine and looks.
With putting 25-30k on the truck a year I am over driving 20 yr old trucks as daily drivers.
If i could a vehicle just for getting outside. I would go back to a built T100 or maybe back to an fj80 with a v8 or diesel swap. Every time I have two trucks one ends up sitting way more than it should. Sometimes I dont get out for 2 months and some months I am out for 10 days. The joys of self employment. Maybe 1 truck is not so bad after all.

F150-not sure about trail capability, going to have to put a decent amount into aftermarket.
F250- big on trail, will end up costing the same the end for added maintenance over the years.
The front seats of the chevy are nice, my dog will hate the back seat, cant leave the hound at home.

View attachment 556196
She looks happy to hear that .

Grassland

View attachment 556196

Go SCAB F150. 2" coil over lift in front, 255/80R17 or depending on motor/trans/gears 285/75R17. Maybe add a leaf in the rear.
Armor up if it doesn't have the OEM skid plates. You really want a fuel tank skid it's like 5 feet of plastic liability lol.
Take off the front plastic valence.

Lots of bumpers available tho I find most of them ugly and huge. ADD makes some nice low profile ones but are $$$.

Lots of tuners doing tunes for 2.7 EB, 5.0, and 3.5 EB. Even tunes for the 3.7 cyclone in the steel bodies.

Make sure you get one with tow package so it has transmission cooler and OEM E-locker is nice to have. Though there is some aftermarket for LSD and lockers depending on what differential you get.

tacollie

Glamper
If you are torn between a mid-size and a 3/4 the 1/2 seems like a good compromise. You get more room than the mid size and more agility than the 3/4. A half ton with coilovers and 285/75r18s will get you to a lot of places.

I recently went to a full size from a Tacoma. I'll never own another Tacoma. The comfort, power, and stability of full a size truck make up for the crappy parking and severe pinstripes from the trail. I would rather loose a little bit in off-road capability to have something better the majority of the time.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Go SCAB F150. 2" coil over lift in front, 255/80R17 or depending on motor/trans/gears 285/75R17. Maybe add a leaf in the rear.
Armor up if it doesn't have the OEM skid plates. You really want a fuel tank skid it's like 5 feet of plastic liability lol.
Take off the front plastic valence.

Lots of bumpers available tho I find most of them ugly and huge. ADD makes some nice low profile ones but are $$$.

Lots of tuners doing tunes for 2.7 EB, 5.0, and 3.5 EB. Even tunes for the 3.7 cyclone in the steel bodies.

Make sure you get one with tow package so it has transmission cooler and OEM E-locker is nice to have. Though there is some aftermarket for LSD and lockers depending on what differential you get.
I could not own a truck without a rear locker. Thats why Ford has my interest.
Coming from owning alot of toyotas, I love the skinnies. 255 has been my go to over the years. Glad to hear it works on the F150...

phsycle

Adventurer
As for a front bench seat . I thought the cabs on a 150 -250 are the same ?? wouldn't that make for a direct swap?

New gen Super Duties are the same cab. Not sure if he’s looking at this gen or previous.

But both 150 and 250 come with bench seats available. Not sure what the issue is here.

phsycle

Adventurer
I could not own a truck without a rear locker. Thats why Ford has my interest.
Coming from owning alot of toyotas, I love the skinnies. 255 has been my go to over the years. Glad to hear it works on the F150...

I wish all manuf did it like Ford. Rear locker and various gearing available as stand alone options without getting bundled up with other garbage.

jgallo1

Adventurer
As for a front bench seat . I thought the cabs on a 150 -250 are the same ?? wouldn't that make for a direct swap?
New gen Super Duties are the same cab. Not sure if he’s looking at this gen or previous.

But both 150 and 250 come with bench seats available. Not sure what the issue is here.
between the 150 and 250 there is no issue on the front seat. I was referring to the Chevy ZR2

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I keep seeing that mantra on here...yet in my 24 years of truck ownership I have never once needed more capacity than I had.

According to this forum... Everyone towing/hauling over 500lbs should opt for a 1 ton, crew cab, 8'bed, 4x4, diesel, with the snow plow and camper package...lol.
You forgot to add 'Dually'.....

jgallo1

Adventurer
If you want to go diesel and full size, I know there are numerous years to avoid and buy.
I do know 2 people with 2018 F250, who have had a world of problems. I know that the 7.3 or a 1998 and below cummins is the way to go. With all the HWY miles in between the fun stuff,I would like drive something that is not a dinosaur. Also it seems, I am might be wrong, I have just started to look into this. Most full size trucks got real BIG on the most recent body styles. For y'all out there that are driving F250's or Cummins that fall into the category of 12 yrs to current, what years should I be looking into and avoiding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz