Thoughts on Ford Traction LOK LSD

Grassland

About to do a bunch of maintenance on my truck including fluid change on differentials. Considering adding a clutch LSD at the same time.

Why clutch LSD? Cheaper up front cost, very street friendly.

I am aware of the limitations of LSD off road.

Is the Ford Traction LOK any good? Or should I be looking at aftermarket? Is about $525 cost locally.

I was looking at helical and worm gear LSD but those are around $925+ Canadian pesos.

Don't want to run a lunch box as my wife drives truck sometimes and she wouldn't do well on ice with the "surprise" engagement.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Don't want to run a lunch box as my wife drives truck sometimes and she wouldn't do well on ice with the "surprise" engagement.

I've had that happen with LSD's too. On my '90 Montero (factory LSD) and on my '99 2wd Ranger with an aftermarket LSD. Both times it happened on hard packed snow/icy roads. In the Montero I was in 2wd, the LSD somehow activated and caused me to do a slow spin that ended in a collision with a parked car. On the Ranger I was driving down Grand Avenue (main East-West street) in Laramie, WY and it caused me to do a slow 180 degree spin that ended up with me facing the other direction. Fortunately traffic was light enough that I didn't hit anything.

I've been leery of LSD's ever since those two experiences.

1stDeuce

Explorer
ANY LSD or locker is going to make the rear of the truck step out on snow or ice if the wheels slip in 2wd. There is no guarantee that this won't also happen with an open diff at times, it's just more likely that only one tire will spin with an open diff, leaving the other to keep the truck stable. If it's slick, either be very gentle on the throttle, or us 4wd.

I'm going to assume we're talking about a newer truck, since your sig indicates that your 2014 (which qualifies as newer as well in this case) is for sale. That means your truck has stability control, which will handily catch a stepout so long as your wife keeps driving and doesn't pull a "Jesus take the wheel"...

I would not be afraid of a LSD, particularly in a 4wd truck, where you're likely to be in 4wd when it's slick anyway. (Does it have Auto 4wd for your wife, or is that only a GM thing?)
An added bonus is that the LSD will make brake traction control much more effective. (Or you can say it the other way around if you like...)

And finally, rather than a clutch limited slip, you might check into a TruTrac. It's a helical gear limited slip, with no clutches to wear out. Works really well, and isn't terribly pricey.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
And FWIW, LSD's don't "activate". They're always working, trying to ensure that both rear tires spin at the same speed. If you "activate" the throttle beyond the surface traction capability, you spin the tires, and when they both spin, the truck gets loose. RWD vehicles are not terribly stable once the rear drive wheels break traction, as they have no lateral traction, and the rear typically heads downhill. Then the rear tries to pass the front, which is basically holding it back. :)

Grassland

While I've never had a clutch based LSD, I've had a Lock Right, and the locking engagement user power can be very jarring and sudden depending on what all happens and when.
LSD isn't going to suddenly lock axles 100%

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
No. 150? 350?

Go Truetrac, Yukon Grizzly locker, ARB, or find an entire axle assembly in a junkyard with the OEM E locker.

Grassland

Gah didn't post my truck it's a 2014 F150 with 8.8 31 spline rear differential.

Did 09-14 F150 have factory e locker?

I'll take a look. Can't see it being less than $1k for used axle with E locker

Don't want to spend a grand for a true Trac, or more for aftermarket E locker might just stay open then.

RedF

Adventurer
I'll second what others have said about a limited slip having winter quirks. Had a track lok in the back of my ranger, and it would slide the back end out at pretty inopportune times.

phsycle

Adventurer
There are a flood of 11-14 F150’s from Canada here, for sale. All “FX4” package had the rear locker. Check your local salvage yards. Bet you’ll be able to find one. Along with the factory xfer case dial and components.

1584658102256.png

Grassland

Ugh $2200 Canadian for an axle that is need to regear.
Is the driveshaft end that hooks up to the differential the same on 8.8s as on 9.75 sterling axles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz