Thoughts on building a trailer out of a Willys truck bed

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I love the look of the 416's and c101's but they are so small- which is part of why they work so well. I'm looking for something a little larger/longer with a tailgate. To me the Willys look is somewhat similar. I ran across a very cheap 1951 Willys which has already been substantially parted out. Has anyone seen one of these truck beds made into a decent trailer ?
The truck still has the step sides in front of the rear fenders which hide the sweep of the frame but look like ideal shelves for Scepter holders etc.
What do you trailer guru's think ? I don't think it would be like the typical pickup bed trailer in appearance. Any body think this is a good idea, fishing for opinions/ideas.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Use the bed, but build your own frame. Having been down the road of using the truck's frame for such a trailer there are too many forced compromises that didn't need to be made.

For starters, note how low the bottom of the frame is compared to the height of the bed floor:
IMG_0285-1.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I love the look of the 416's and c101's but they are so small- which is part of why they work so well. I'm looking for something a little larger/longer with a tailgate. To me the Willys look is somewhat similar. I ran across a very cheap 1951 Willys which has already been substantially parted out. Has anyone seen one of these truck beds made into a decent trailer ?
The truck still has the step sides in front of the rear fenders which hide the sweep of the frame but look like ideal shelves for Scepter holders etc.
What do you trailer guru's think ? I don't think it would be like the typical pickup bed trailer in appearance. Any body think this is a good idea, fishing for opinions/ideas.
:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:a pox be on you...pagan....hiss hiss.....evil:Wow1::Wow1:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
My God! you trailer guys have no ethics....no morals....save the parts for the Willys guys........

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
What type of trailer are you after and what type of use will it see? I have a '55 Willys truck sitting in the driveway. I'd never consider cutting it up to build a trailer out of the bed. If you were to use the bed itself as a trailer platform, I'd seriously modify the frame to handle the stresses of off-road hauling and trailering and that would be only the beginning. The entire bed itself would require more work and more modifications to be worthwhile for any type of off-road useable trailer type construction. At least anything that would withstand long-term use and punishment depending on use. To me, it's not worth the trouble. For the work involved, may as well build your own from the ground up.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Maryland 110

Adventurer
For my use it wouldn"t have to be much of an off road trailer. primary function would be to increase the functionality of my 110. It would serve as a pickup truck hauling firewood, lumber etc and double as a base camp when we go camping-usually in a campground here in the East. On those occasions it would have a 60qt freezer fridge, battery box, and fuel and water scepters, gas bottle and a rtt. I would probably galvanize the frame and maybe even the box itself. The axle would get swapped out for a rover bolt pattern and I would probably remove a bunch of leaves or swap out the springs so the suspension wasn't so un godly stiff. I have a lot of wire for the welder laying around.

willyswagon

Adventurer
I've been lurking for a couple of months here as I plan the build for my trailer for an across Canada trip with the wife and kids.
It looks like I'll be using the back half of one of the parts Willys for the trial run of the gear to Newfoundland to see how it would work out. It's an easy chioce for me, as I have it already, and the front of the truck is toast!! It will also match up perfectly with the truck for utility work around the yard. If it doesn't work out well, I'll build one for the cross country trip.
As for the trip to Newfoundland? That won't happen until next summer.

The wagon in it's current state of build.

wagonrebuild006.jpg

The box will match this

ibc006.jpg

willyswagon

Adventurer
Use the bed but make your own frame and use a trailer axle.

I can see that for others that may not be matching it up to a Willys, but for my use it means - same height as other rigs (Wagon and Pick up) same axles(only need one spare) same wheel bearings, same brake shoes, same tire size. So as far as spares go it is Win Win Win. The frame and cross members are in the best location for support when using it as a utility trailer.

Have I forgotten anything??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles