Thoughts on building a trailer out of a Willys truck bed

Markgyver

Observer
Use the bed but make your own frame and use a trailer axle.

I can see that for others that may not be matching it up to a Willys, but for my use it means - same height as other rigs (Wagon and Pick up) same axles(only need one spare) same wheel bearings, same brake shoes, same tire size. So as far as spares go it is Win Win Win. The frame and cross members are in the best location for support when using it as a utility trailer.

Have I forgotten anything??

Extra drag and friction turning another Diff and lower ground clearance on the trailer. So you are on the trail your brake an axle so now you have to tear down your trailer to get your rig rolling so now you leave your trailer on the trail until you can get more parts. Toss the spare parts into your trailer makes more sense to me and most frames are not set up well for just using the bed as a trailer.

willyswagon

Adventurer
Extra drag and friction turning another Diff and lower ground clearance on the trailer. So you are on the trail your brake an axle so now you have to tear down your trailer to get your rig rolling so now you leave your trailer on the trail until you can get more parts. Toss the spare parts into your trailer makes more sense to me and most frames are not set up well for just using the bed as a trailer.

Points noted!

I wasn't thinking so much of being able to rob the parts from the trailer during a break down, as I was thinking of carring one spare that fit both rigs?
I see what you mean regarding drag from the diff, and low clearance.

Thanks for the input, that's why I love these groups.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I ended up scoring an old Sankey miliatry trailer on ebay Uk for $86. It will take a while to get here as we are stuffing it in a buddies 40ft container in Liverpool. The Willys project will have to wait till another time.

DrMoab

Explorer
I stand corrected...I thought:snorkel: there weren't many left that were usable....

We hauled several old willys beds to the scrapper years ago. If only the internet.. ie Ebay and Criagslist were around back then.

They sat in the back of my dads yard forever with no good home to go to.

Two of them were FC-170 beds and the other two were regular pickup beds.

If I only knew then what I know now.

That being said...I would have made a trailer out of one of them for sure. :D

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Yeah...I cut up a Buick 8 when I was young and turned it into a offroad backwoods runner. I had a ball but now every time I see one I think about how perfect the one I cut was.....and I always feel stupid for doing it.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I been thinking that that is an easy way to obtain the sides of the trailer. If the bed is super nice put it up for sale and see what the resto guys wanna pay. If you can make some good $$ sell it and pic up some after market bed sides and make a trailer. I would make my own frame and fenders and use a trailer axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles