Thoughts on an 1986 isuzu trooper 2.2 diesel

jgallo1

Adventurer
There is a really clean 1986 Isuzu trooper 2.2 diesel for sale. It has me intrigued.
When I was a kid my uncle had a Trooper, he drove it forever, other than that I know nothing about the trooper. I understand that it is 30 yrs old. How reliable are the 2.2 diesels? Any info. is welcome.
Thanks

SRN

Adventurer
Lots of great info over on Planet Isuzoo. Tons of 1st Gen guys over there.
What I can tell you is that an '86 Diesel is pretty rare in the US and if you can pick up a clean one, thats a win. The engine was used extensivly around the world and has a great reputation and parts are easy to get... just no in the US (you can overnight parts from Japan, if you have to ;)).
The 1st Gen Trooper platform is a great, solid rig. But spartan, so if you're cool with that it's a good choice for backcountry exploring. As with anything thats 35 years old and is an "orphan", parts are getting scarcer, but still relatively easy to be had.
And mentioned, Planet Isuzoo is a great place to start. There is a dedicated community of users over there that always love it when a new person joins in their passion.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks,
I just joined planet Isuzoo last night. Waiting for confirmation on my post.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: SRN

jgallo1

Adventurer
still waiting for Planet Isuzoo to approve my post. Hoping they approve it soon, b/c I only 3 days left to bid. I also reached out to see if they had the 3 rod recall done. It seems that is really important.

utherjorge

Observer
what are you waiting to hear? there's definitely support for this but SRN has already told you exactly what you will find there.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I was hoping to hear from someone who owned the 2.2. In my research, the media has really bashed the 2.2 saying it throws rods and damages the engine. Just wondering about this issue. Also, wondering about the experience of daily driving one of these. I know it will be slow. Can it do 70 on why? How will it do at altitude? etc..

plh

Explorer
I was hoping to hear from someone who owned the 2.2. In my research, the media has really bashed the 2.2 saying it throws rods and damages the engine. Just wondering about this issue.

well its lasted 35 years in this one. I'd says thats reliable[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

SRN

Adventurer
still waiting for Planet Isuzoo to approve my post. Hoping they approve it soon, b/c I only 3 days left to bid. I also reached out to see if they had the 3 rod recall done. It seems that is really important.
The only downside to Planet Isuzoo is that it was purchased by the big forum corporation Vertical Scope a few years back, so there is no one directly associated with the forum managing it anymore. But once it get confirmed, its a great resource!

jgallo1

Adventurer
The good news, I spoke with a guy who has had 2 of the 2.2 and few of the gasser's
He said, if there is no paperwork showing the rod recall being done, know that is the first thing you need to do. Also, he said great rig, but you are not going over 55 mph.
The one I was looking at, has gone sky high on BAT so I am out.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I don't know if it's the same engine,but Chevy put Isuzu diesels in S-10's. My friend bought one.Gutless,underpowered and smoked like a banshee. The intercooled version came out a couple years later which tamed the smoke somewhat and boosted the hp minimally. The shifter would shake stopped at an intersection it idled so rough. He did put 140K on it and did one water pump swapout so it was reliable.

Heading Out

Adventurer
People love 'em or hate 'em. I had a Trooper 2 and it was great, my buddy had a first gen, it was great,

Isuzus in general, I believe people don't understand what they're about, but in my experience they are good.

My Trooper worked very well off road with nothing more than a good set of tires.

zimm

Expedition Leader
They throw rods. I have an RS gasser and I just use it to commute and local fun. I would not consider a gen 1 for overlanding unless it’s the challenge of parts availability you want.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I don't know if it's the same engine,but Chevy put Isuzu diesels in S-10's. My friend bought one.Gutless,underpowered and smoked like a banshee. The intercooled version came out a couple years later which tamed the smoke somewhat and boosted the hp minimally. The shifter would shake stopped at an intersection it idled so rough. He did put 140K on it and did one water pump swapout so it was reliable.
That sounds just like my 85 trooper 2 with a gas motor. The gas motors had an oil drain back holes in the pistons that are too small. They clog, stick the rings, and then cause excessive smoke out the tailpipe.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Ive got an 88 gasser, I have to do the rear main seal. ive been looking for a manual so i can toss all the issues associated with the auto trans. I've heard that once the rod recall is done- you wont go a million milesper hour but rather a milion miles, but slowly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles