Thoughts on Airstream Base Camp as Overland camper?

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Looked at Airstream Base Camp as a Overland Camper, use would be no longer than 2 weeks, mostly weekends to a week.

It looks like you can get a 3" lift and maybe bigger tires, but aside from this do you think this would be sturdy enough to take off pavement and into less maintained dirt/gravel roads? Idea is to use as flyfishing quick camp to get to off beaten path and to remote East coast streams as well as high mountain CO. lakes?

I searched forums but really didn't see anything on this. Moby1 type trailers seem too small but Base Camp looks pretty roomy to get out there but durability over jarring terrain is concern?

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I did and I have it marked. My preference is small off road trailer that has room to stand, bath, sitting area etc., so the Base Camp checks more boxes. The base camp looks perfect if it performs off road without falling apart:)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'd rent one and see what you think.....maybe get a much better feel before laying out that kind of dough.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Looked at them with a friend. My impressions, overpriced cramped hipster trailer. He looked at the ac/heat equipped model and it was 39k + TTL. Pretty sure it was 27 or 2800 dry. But you do get all all the comforts of home like a porcelain toilet, microwave, pano windows, heat, air etc if that matters. Personally there is no way I'd trust it offroad and I'd bet you would be in for a fight every time you went in for service for all the rattles it would develop. Unless you stuck to KOA's.

Honestly if your looking to spend that kind of money - get a vmi alpine or compass. They are built for what you are describing using it for, it's american made and their quality is pretty much second to none.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Looked at them with a friend. My impressions, overpriced cramped hipster trailer. He looked at the ac/heat equipped model and it was 39k + TTL. Pretty sure it was 27 or 2800 dry. But you do get all all the comforts of home like a porcelain toilet, microwave, pano windows, heat, air etc if that matters. Personally there is no way I'd trust it offroad and I'd bet you would be in for a fight every time you went in for service for all the rattles it would develop. Unless you stuck to KOA's.

Thanks that's my concern - durability. For well groomed dirt roads I think would be fine but not sure it will hold on rougher roads.

Honestly if your looking to spend that kind of money - get a vmi alpine or compass. They are built for what you are describing using it for, it's american made and their quality is pretty much second to none.

Excellent VMI recommendation - they look great but ONE BIG problem. First let me say that I have spend tons of hours researching different Overlanding rig options and did not run across VMI, However, I love what they are doing and think they could work great so thanks.

But that leads to the "one big problem" - their website says they have a 18 - 20 month waitlist......noooooooooo:) I am looking to retire in about 4 years so I wanted something soon figuring I will probably change to something else once retired and more time to explore. VMI would take up half my interim period. I'll call them Monday to see if that is still correct because I think this could be a really nice fit for me.

Are there other VMI type live-in expedition trailers out there I may not know about? Another option could be a slide in camper or one built on flat bed, I personally like Alaskan Campers a lot, but towable gives me oppty to take more family members when they can break free.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
If you wish to order any GOOD camper today you are in for a long wait.

2017 was the best year ever for the RV industry with 504,000 units delivered. The estimate based on sales so far for the 2018 model year is another record production year of 518,000 units projected.

IF you are set on purchasing new and you better decide what you want, get it on order OR buy a used unit that meets your needs if you are unwilling to wait your turn for a new unit.

The Basecamp would make a terrible overland trailer due to durability issues as noted by others above. Their construction methods are not suited for off-road use. Airstreams have lot's of problems just from running down the road much less off-road!

Last edited:

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
If you wish to order any GOOD camper today you are in for a long wait.

2017 was the best year ever for the RV industry with 504,000 units delivered. The estimate based on sales so far for the 2018 model year is another record production year of 518,000 units projected.

IF you are set on purchasing new and you better decide what you want, get it on order OR buy a used unit that meets your needs if you are unwilling to wait your turn for a new unit.

Crazy isn't it, boats are same, prices also climbing silly fast due to demand. Even with other items, I am on waitlist for over three years for custom built 1911. Media says how bad economy is but no shortage of high end discretionary spending out there.

The Basecamp would make a terrible overland trailer due to durability issues as noted by others above. Their construction methods are not suited for off-road use. Airstreams have lot's of problems just from running down the road much less off-road!

That's what I am finding, even Airstream forums are loaded with unhappy customers, AS has even bought some back. It seems demand is so high that they just bang them out and figure they will fix under warranty, but some problems are hard to fix. It's too bad because they fill an outdoor market niche and have nice amenities.

I hate rushing decisions so maybe used will work until ready for long-term build. Hopefully VMI or equivalent has slot in production schedule open or someone bales and I can grab it.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'd put the 18' Oliver on your list as well. Sturdier and better clearance than the Basecamp. Don't know what the wait times are right now, but occasionally you can luck up on a used one.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I'd put the 18' Oliver on your list as well. Sturdier and better clearance than the Basecamp. Don't know what the wait times are right now, but occasionally you can luck up on a used one.

I looked at Oliver but too big, tall and boxy but very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles