Thoughts on a new overland rig...

99wj

Adventurer
I'm a current jeep owner, and they are great, albeit a little small for overlanding. So my question is... I'm really thinking about purchasing a M35a2 truck for overlanding. Now I'm a little familiar with the rig, 6x6, turbo diesel, BEASTLY Rockwell axles, etc... My question is does anyone on this forum have one of these trucks or does anyone know of someone who has one for overlanding, I'm just looking for some ideas so that I can make a decision on whether to get mine or not. I'm not really planing to go like crawling or anything, just need it for expeditions and camping. (and yes i've ridden in one, yeah they're loud, but they can go ANYWHERE) the pics are of the one i'm actually looking at, and its $6,500

I appreciate any and all suggestions :):)

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Search for "Deuce" and "M109". People have done them. The general concensus is that they are bulletproof but slow and noisy and hard to handle. They aren't allowed outside of the US due to military surplus restrictions. Parts aren't necessarily easy to find for them either. I agree...it would be an awesome rig once you did soundproofing, SRW's, etc., but the fact that it can't leave the country (Canada and Mexico included) is a killer.

Spence

99wj

Adventurer
Search for "Deuce" and "M109". People have done them. The general concensus is that they are bulletproof but slow and noisy and hard to handle. They aren't allowed outside of the US due to military surplus restrictions. Parts aren't necessarily easy to find for them either. I agree...it would be an awesome rig once you did soundproofing, SRW's, etc., but the fact that it can't leave the country (Canada and Mexico included) is a killer.

Spence

Woah, whats with this not being able to leave the country with the truck thing, i've never heard of that???

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Military surplus isn't allowed to leave US soil after it has been decommissioned. That applies to all military vehicles.

Spence

armyrv

Observer
Military surplus isn't allowed to leave US soil after it has been decommissioned. That applies to all military vehicles.

Spence

Completely, 100%, wrong. I don't know where you heard that, but it is very wrong. There is no such thing.

Some equipment cannot be exported to other countries, but there is no law stating that they cannot leave the country on trips no matter how long. Those vehicles that cannot be exported simply have to stay in the possession of a US citizen (ie. it must stay registered in your name). People with M35's go into Canada all the time. You can also go into Mexico with it, but there is a law in Mexico stating that civilians cannot drive vehicles painting in a military pattern (camo). But that is mainly due to the drug war going on down there and a lot of the cartels starting buying surplus military vehicles and using them to get around without problems (ie. getting stopped while transporting drugs, guns, etc).

There is even someone who wrote about his adventures in South America with his M35. He had no problem going down there or back.

I have a US M109A3 and M35A2 which were both legally imported into Canada from the US. There are tons of people up here with them as well.

Yes the the M35 or M109 is a big truck and is not the fastest or maneuverable vehicle out there, but that is the same for most big trucks. Plus you have to realize that these truck are over 30 years old (39 years old in the case of the M109). So you can't expect them to have all the features of modern trucks. But as stated before, the are almost bulletproof and very easy to work on. Plus they have the benefit of a multi-fuel engine which is a big plus if you are in the middle of nowhere. If you need fuel but only have regular gasoline sitting around, simply dump it into the tank and go, no other work needed. That is a very good thing if you are in a remote area where there is no diesel fuel around.

I have an M109 converted into a rv/camper and love it. You can see pictures of it in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27603

You can also look at buying an MLVW, which is the Canadian upgraded version of the M35A2. It includes a common Detroit Diesel engine, Allison Automatic transmission, power steering, super singles, etc. More info here: http://www.militarytrucks.ca/mlvw.htm

I highly recommend looking at something in the M35 family. I drive mine all over and not only is it a great truck to go out camping/exploring with, it is also a ******** load of fun ;)

Last edited:

dzzz

I think you should define what YOU mean by overlanding. I've driven enough midsize trucks to know that I would hate to drive that truck most days of the week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles