Thoughts on 2023 Ford Super Duty for Family Travel?

Adam35

I currently drive a 200 series Land Cruiser and it's been an excellent companion for cross country (US) family trips and backcountry exploration with my wife and two young daughters. But as much as I love it, lately I've been searching for something with a bit more space to minimize the constant packing/unpacking when we move locations. We're starting to plan a longer trip to Alaska next summer and I'm researching different platforms to give us the best combination of capability and ease of setting up/tearing down camp. I know towing a camper would give us the most space for the buck but I really just don't want to deal with the extra length and all that entails. So I've been looking mainly at both vans and long bed full size trucks with slide in campers but it's honestly been a bit of decision paralysis.

Then I just saw the announcement for the new 2023 Ford Super Dutys. While I'd prefer to buy pre-owned to save cash, there is one new feature that seems (at least on paper) to be kind of excellent for our situation: the Max Recline seats that basically turn into beds. Now, I admit I haven't actually tried these out yet (they already exist on F150s) but I'm thinking that these lay-flat seats could make a great bed option (for at least the next few years) for the kids. Basically turning the cab into a second "room" while we're camped.

So I'm thinking of putting in an order for a F350 with the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine (to maximize payload and keep more international travel options open) and the Tremor package. I was initially turned off by the fact that Tremor is only available with a short bed configuration, and with 4 of us + gear, we're going to need every ounce of space. But now i'm thinking that if the kids are able to sleep in the cab, at least some of the time, then a short bed may actually be sufficient - and it would be nice to have a shorter overall vehicle length (vs w/ a full 8 ft bed), especially with bikes hanging off the back in a hitch mount carrier.

Anyway, I'm new to the full size truck world, so a lot of this is just speculation based on what looks good on paper. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions from other folks that use full size trucks for longer family adventures. Thank you!

djm68

Observer
I think your reasoning is spot on. I can not speak specifically to the Tremor, but the 7.3 and the Super Duty platform is a solid package for extended travels. Consider bed length -- it is where your living space will be. We went with the "Super Cab" 60" cab-to-axle, with a 168" wheelbase.

For similar reasons, I just bought an F450 with the 7.3 Godzilla (I went for the F450 vs the F350 as I wanted the extra payload and the opportunity presented itself to pickup a lightly used 2020 with the modifications I'd want to do). I'll be putting adding a Total Composite on back.

My partner and will be embarking on a multi-year journey through the US, then south and central America. Lots of choices for platforms, we went with the SD gasser for a modern vehicle with good comfort, reliable, and while I'd love and old school diesel I don't want and old truck, and modern diesels are complex and expensive, not to mention the challenge of finding ULSD in remote regions.

Cheers,
DJM

Alloy

Those are going to be damn expensive beds. The price jump from 2022 to 2023 is something like $5-6K.

Most of the 2022-2023 upgrades are electronic. Couple of my buddies are FORD techs. The tech (and vehicles) is rolling out faster than they can figure out how to make it work and supply the parts when it isn't. For that reason I wouldn't buy a 2023.

I have a PU with a 6.5 box and will have a PU with 8' box before the end of the year. While I like driving the 6.5' the 8' box makes allot more sense to travel with.

We base camp then explore. Our trailer saved our family days of set up take down time.

A cab and chassis (storage) makes allot more sense from an international traveling perspective.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I currently drive a 200 series Land Cruiser and it's been an excellent companion for cross country (US) family trips and backcountry exploration with my wife and two young daughters. But as much as I love it, lately I've been searching for something with a bit more space to minimize the constant packing/unpacking when we move locations. We're starting to plan a longer trip to Alaska next summer and I'm researching different platforms to give us the best combination of capability and ease of setting up/tearing down camp. I know towing a camper would give us the most space for the buck but I really just don't want to deal with the extra length and all that entails. So I've been looking mainly at both vans and long bed full size trucks with slide in campers but it's honestly been a bit of decision paralysis.

Then I just saw the announcement for the new 2023 Ford Super Dutys. While I'd prefer to buy pre-owned to save cash, there is one new feature that seems (at least on paper) to be kind of excellent for our situation: the Max Recline seats that basically turn into beds. Now, I admit I haven't actually tried these out yet (they already exist on F150s) but I'm thinking that these lay-flat seats could make a great bed option (for at least the next few years) for the kids. Basically turning the cab into a second "room" while we're camped.

So I'm thinking of putting in an order for a F350 with the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine (to maximize payload and keep more international travel options open) and the Tremor package. I was initially turned off by the fact that Tremor is only available with a short bed configuration, and with 4 of us + gear, we're going to need every ounce of space. But now i'm thinking that if the kids are able to sleep in the cab, at least some of the time, then a short bed may actually be sufficient - and it would be nice to have a shorter overall vehicle length (vs w/ a full 8 ft bed), especially with bikes hanging off the back in a hitch mount carrier.

Anyway, I'm new to the full size truck world, so a lot of this is just speculation based on what looks good on paper. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions from other folks that use full size trucks for longer family adventures. Thank you!
I'd look for a used Northstar 850SC shortbed model with that much truck. They're sturdy enough for everything but rock crawling but being a popup the truck wouldn't notice it much. You'll have a made up bed and galley with plenty of storage. Keep it out of California though as our fuel is approaching Europe without the benefits.

Explorerinil

Observer
we (wife and kid) use out f250 tremor with the 7.3 for traveling and prefer to drive it over my wife’s Tahoe. I have 30k on the truck, it’s been flawless. These trucks have a ton of room, are very reliable and are super easy to work on and maintain if you get the 7.3. I personally would choose the 7.3 if you want the simplest, most reliable and powerful v8 on the market. The long bed will get you a larger fuel tank, but the short bed tremor will be far more capable for off highway adventures. Whatever you do, get the 4:30 gears, upfitter switches, rubber floor and led headlights.

Alloy

Payload or towing capacity?

I'll add that I have a chassis cab vs PU.

DJM

Cab and Chassis. That makes sense.

Ford downgrades the F450PU from a Class 4 truck to a Class 3PU so they can claim best in class towing.

If FORD rated the F450PU according to SAE standards they wouldn't be able to do it so FORD came up with their own standards. All in the name of marketing B.S.

Last edited:

bdyer

Observer
I have an LX 570 and a GMC 2500 dmax. Different beast. If you can keep the 200, then the 8’bed might be an option but if you drive in town in will be very long. I have the 6.5 bed and in the city it is tight in a lot of places.

carterd

The seats recline almost flat, but not quite. I think they would be fine if your kids are sleeping on their back or maybe their sides, but it looks uncomfortable if they sleep on their stomach. I assume the camper would have the benefit of heat, fans, possibly air conditioning, and running water which would be more comfortable than the truck cab. Midnight bathroom runs would also be a pain.

I like the idea of the SuperCab with the 8 foot bed and FX4 option. This will get you skid plates, off-road shocks, all-terrain tires, hill descent control, an electronic locking rear diff. You can get the optional Warn winch as well. You will miss out on the 35" tires, front limited slip, better shocks, taller front springs, Trail Control and Trail Turn Assist. You have to really ask yourself how serious of terrain you will be traversing with a 21' long truck with a big camper in the back. You may not need need all those Tremor goodies, or you could do a suspension upgrade and add a selectable locker to the FX4.

Regardless, the Super Duty seems to be a great overlanding platform with tons of options that will serve you well.

1664673033878.png

Bigc3031

I’ve owned multiple F150s and 250s, V8, ecoboost and powerstroke.

I absolutely hated my powerstroke(6.4l). It was the worst engine I’ve used and very problematic. Filling up meant waiting almost every time due to a lack of pumps. I’ll never do diesel again.

My ecoboost F-150 is getting retired this year, it’s been an amazing truck but as it ages the repairs are getting costly.

I wouldn’t want to try and sleep in the max recline, I don’t find them very comfortable. I’d recommend building a removable platform for the back seats for the kids, this would be easy to do and far more comfortable.

I disagree that the tech is too new and unreliable, everything is trickledown from the F150. The screens are just bigger and it’s just new versions of what’s already out there. My 2015 F150 has blis, adaptive cruise, self parking, etc and it’s all good.

I think you would be unhappy with a superduty and 8’ Ned with crewcab. That’s one monster of a truck and starts to get difficult parking or driving on trails where you may need to turn around.

Oct 17 is when the order banks open up for the 2023 super duties and I’m ready to drop my order.
Im getting an F350 crew cab tremor with the lariat ultimate package. I use my truck for my business as well as overlanding so the tech makes my life a lot easier. The tremor only comes with the 4.3 gearing so you are good there. Im doing the 7.3 for sure, what an awesome engine and should hit 300K miles no problem.
I’d encourage you to look at AT Overland caps or something like GO Fast. Im in the process of ordering an At Overland Atlas which can be set up to house tue whole family.

We have a 2022 f350 CCLB 7.3l gas with a hallmark cuchara for a family of 5. Winter camping we all sleep in the camper using the bunk bed. In the summer my oldest (14) likes to sleep in the truck.

The great thing about the super duty trucks that a lot of people miss is the floor of the passenger area is flat (no transmission tunnel). The rear seats can flip up and create a pretty spacious area for kids to sleep. My littles (9,6) have even used the rear area like bunk beds for an overnight trip, with one on the seat and one on the floor.

I keep the camper on full time. It takes extra consideration when parking or running errands (which I minimize) but the extra space of the CCLB setup is very welcome with all 5 of us.

The other selling point for the CCLB was the 48 gal fuel tank. We can leave home with a full tank head to the mountains, ski, and return 4 days later with plenty of fuel. Being able to skip fueling at expensive stations, or even skip the extra stop makes life easy. If we stop and momma and the kids decide they want to get out of the truck for whatever reason it is a 30-45 min ordeal. Sometimes it is needed, sometimes it just drags the travel for no good reason.

I think ordering is the only way to go. Get exactly what you want and there are (or were for 2022) a few dealerships that are selling below invoice. Buying this 2022 was the easiest and best vehicle purchasing experience I have ever had and I paid 2% below invoice.

Adam35

This forum is awesome! Thank you all so much for the tips and first hand experience. Sounds like I’m definitely on the right track with the 7.3. And sounds like the max recline seats could be good for a quick nap but back seats could be better bet for a kid sleeping platform. Will have to make a game time decision on whether the capability and maneuverability of the tremor will be worth it over larger gas tank and extra room of a CCLB. Good options to have and we’re getting pretty excited about both! I’ll def post some build pics once we make a decision and start getting things together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles