Thoughts on 02 LC with 300k?

KiwiPike

I love the LC and looking at my first purchase. I have a opportunity to purchase as noted above with meticulous services records, no frame or body rust. Should I be concerned about the 300k? What would expect this to sell for? Should I get an LX470 half the miles but sketchy service records?

1611Aviator

I love the LC and looking at my first purchase. I have a opportunity to purchase as noted above with meticulous services records, no frame or body rust. Should I be concerned about the 300k? What would expect this to sell for? Should I get an LX470 half the miles but sketchy service records?

The average price for the LandCruiser version of that in aus(4.7 V8) is about 15k. I wouldn’t pay that much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris Boyd

Explorer

I’d go for a truck with higher mileage and a good service history over one without. Especially for an LX that is sketchy. More to go wrong on the LX especially if it has AHC.

I have a 99 with 250k, but that’s lower average mileage now since I only use it for expedition style travel now.

Spend some time looking at the Slee Offroad 100 series FAQ

Tachycardic

Sketchy service records for an LX470 is a red flag for me. I'd lean towards the higher mileage LC. What year is it?

nasko

Adventurer
Depending on budget and the asking price I would see both and go from there. The AHC in the LX can be replaced and chances are the 300K LC will need suspension update/upgrade, so that is a wash. I would definitely look at both and consider both.

I bought a 1999 UZJ100 with 318K on it. I searched for a vehicle that had been owned by the same person for several years (in this case 10 - 12 years) and had a service history.

After purchase I dropped close to $3K to have a LC shop do a through inspection, and do a bunch of maintenance work (timing belt, water pump, cooling system flush, heater "T", AC recharge, etc.)

Over ~8 months I have put 5K+ on the vehicle, strictly long distance travel in northern Arizona, eastern California, and central Utah. Great vehicle, have no regrets.

Good luck!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know the Toyota taxi and Toyota service trucks typically get a new engine at 350k.
So I’d figure 50k of predictable reliability then who knows what can happen.

gungriffin

The 4.7 will have no issues going the distance with maintenance. You haven't really given much to go on for information. Either could be great or awful. You will have more maintenance on the truck with 300k miles. Items like the CV joints won't go forever even if the engine will. When were the last major services performed on both? Every 90k calls for a timing belt service. The nice part with the "sketchy" truck might be that you would need to baseline it and know exactly when all of the last major services were. 300k mile Cruisers will definitely have a smaller buyer pool.

gungriffin

300k is too many miles if you are the type of person who takes their Cruiser to a shop to have work performed. Most likely it will work out to be more expensive long term than a lower mileage truck. Work on your own Cruiser? 300k is just getting started for the right price. This is especially helpful if the Cruiser isn't your only vehicle.

I found this video on YT. This is the same engine that would be in the Cruiser, but with VVti. That makes it less long term reliable, but the truck has 500k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles