Thoughts: best Toyota pick up

Dalko43

Explorer
Wonder how a fanboy would explain away the *other* major 2nd gen rust issue? This one was a bit more serious in that it caused fuel tank ruptures. I got a new set of rear leaf springs sitting in the garage although I never qualified for a new frame.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...t-could-snap-damage-fuel-tank-and-brake-line/

"The Toyota Tacoma is being recalled for rust problems yet again, this time with leaf springs on the rear axle that can corrode, snap off, and move enough to puncture the fuel tank or sever the rear brake line."

But, but, but they aren't any worse than anyone else! Yup, exactly. Which is why when the day comes to replace my Tacoma I also won't pay the Toyota Tax premium.

That applies to the same generation of Tacoma that had the frame rot...which Toyota addressed.

Certain model years of Tacoma and Tundra had rust issues...Toyota addressed them.

People who like to claim Toyota's have rust problems always refer back to those model years as the basis for judging Toyota 4x4's and trucks in general. The current gen of Tundra, 4runner, GX 460, LC and Tacoma do not have premature rust issues....they do rust out in the northeast given enough time, but then again so does every other road-going vehicle.

bkg

Explorer
Actually I'm not wrong. The Tundra, Tacoma and Sequoia of certain model years had rust problems.

Toyota trucks in general do not have rust problems. Plenty of high mileage Tundra's, 4runners, 460's and even Tacoma's running around in the northeast.

What's laughable is that people seem to associate Toyota's with rust, and yet there are no lack of 5-year old F-150's and Silverado's with rusty, crusted over chassis and bodies running around on the streets.

Still false...

tacollie

Glamper
In my experience Toyota has always had rust issues. Even before 95. My 82 pu and my 90 4Runner didn't age better than any of my newer trucks. I had friends who also has rust issues with older trucks. I still say go big or go small. If it isn't second gen Tundra it should be a pre 95 truck.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I guess it matters a lot on where you live, I’ve bought rigs from the 60s that still have clean frames and undercarriages . The only rusty Toyota I’ve ever had to deal with came from the east coast and I will never buy another rig that hasn’t lived its whole life on the west coast ever again .

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
I guess it matters a lot on where you live, I’ve bought rigs from the 60s that still have clean frames and undercarriages . The only rusty Toyota I’ve ever had to deal with came from the east coast and I will never buy another rig that hasn’t lived its whole life on the west coast ever again .

I'd be cautious of salt air on older models. I bought an 85 4Runner that spent it's life in Hawaii and CA (this was~2000 timeframe)... was rusting from the drip rails down. Otherwise, was very clean.

Dalko43

Explorer
Still false...

There are 10-15 year old 4runners and Tundra's, even Tacoma's, running all over the place in my neck of the woods (northeast US). Their frames rust...just like the F-150's, Silverado's and Ram 1500's and Jeeps. Everything rusts up here, though the Toyota's generally hold up much better.

Unless it's a young kid or someone who otherwise doesn't have much income, I never see any domestic owners running around with a truck that is older than 6-7 years.

Whereas I see plenty of owners driving +10 year old Toyota's...and they're the type who could afford to buy a brand new vehicle if they desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles