Thoughts: best Toyota pick up

jgallo1

Adventurer
This is a discussion post.

I have been spending way too much time looking at builds lately. I am sure I am not the only one.
I am curious to see what some of your favorite trucks have been over the years, could be a truck you had or a dream rig and why.

I know for me, my favorite truck was my T100. I sold it took quick. I should have kept it, and slowly modded it. I think the T100 is one of the best platforms. I would have added lockers, bumper winch, and an aluminum flatbed. I think that would be the perfect adventure rig.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a soft spot for the early trucks aesthetically speaking, round head light, late 70's stuff. If I could only have one though I'd have a hard time choosing between a 1985 Xtra-Cab long bed or 2001-2004 Double Cab with a manual. The '85 had my favorite era of looks and it was the last year of the solid front axle and the first year of EFI. I had a 2001 Double Cab my senior year of high school that I got brand new from the money I earned from my three jobs along with the help of my father who co-signed on the note. Sadly that truck was totaled less than two years later when I had a blow out on I-10 in San Antonio at 70mph, the guard rail saved me from going over the edge of an over pass. Tundra's have never appealed to me, it's the little trucks from Japan that are truly special in my eyes.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I agree with you on the early to mid 80's. I have always really wanted an 82-83 long bed sand color. I also really love the beveled bed with the tie down anchors.

tennesseewj

Observer
The tapered beds with cleats were definitely a cool feature on that era!

Impossible to pick! The only Toyota truck variation I can think of that I really dislike is the second generation Tundra (07-13 I think). That bulbous, rounded front end always looked absurd to me.

If I were looking for a toy, I've always loved the boxy exteriors of the 93-95 extra-cabs. Given the so-so reputation of the 3.0 and the lack of rear doors for the rear cab, though, I'd have to choose differently for a road trip or daily driver truck.

I really liked my 96 Tacoma and would love to have another one, but I'm addicted to having rear cab doors.

A first gen Access cab Tundra would be on my short list as well since it has a column shift, a V8, and rear cab doors. The interiors leave a lot to be desired, though.

A second gen Access cab Tacoma with a manual transmission would be cool, but they have a lot of plastic and thus the styling hasn't aged quite as well as the first gens.

I think my final pick is the 01-04 Double Cab Tacoma. Good proportions, legendary reliability, decent fuel efficiency, and less plastic than later generations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
79-85 would be my pick. My first car was an 82' long bed. Tacomas are good tools but are all boring imo. T100 was cool for the time but the engine options were so so. First gen Tundra was what Tacomas should be but like Tacomas they are boring. I really like my second gen Tundra but it doesn't feel like a Toyota to me. It's weird to have a Toyota that is big, roomy, and has power ?

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve got kids, so full-size trucks are a must. We are packed to the gills and I consider myself somewhat of a minimalist.

But MY favorite truck would be a 97 Tacoma, regular cab, 5vz, and 5-speed. Add a OME lift, 33” tires, ARB locker, softopper, and I’m good to go.

Second fav would be the same truck but 3rz. And probably 4.88’s.

98-00 Tacoma would be ok as well. I just like the front ends of the 95.5-97 best.

jgallo1

Adventurer
The tapered beds with cleats were definitely a cool feature on that era!

Impossible to pick! The only Toyota truck variation I can think of that I really dislike is the second generation Tundra (07-13 I think). That bulbous, rounded front end always looked absurd to me.

If I were looking for a toy, I've always loved the boxy exteriors of the 93-95 extra-cabs. Given the so-so reputation of the 3.0 and the lack of rear doors for the rear cab, though, I'd have to choose differently for a road trip or daily driver truck.

I really liked my 96 Tacoma and would love to have another one, but I'm addicted to having rear cab doors.

A first gen Access cab Tundra would be on my short list as well since it has a column shift, a V8, and rear cab doors. The interiors leave a lot to be desired, though.

A second gen Access cab Tacoma with a manual transmission would be cool, but they have a lot of plastic and thus the styling hasn't aged quite as well as the first gens.

I think my final pick is the 01-04 Double Cab Tacoma. Good proportions, legendary reliability, decent fuel efficiency, and less plastic than later generations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had a first-gen tundra, they are great trucks. I loved the room, great power. I never felt like anything was lacking as far as a daily driver goes.

The most annoying thing to me about the T100 and first Gen tundra's was the lack of support. If you want to do basic mods, say suspension and a bumper with a winch, there not a lot of options. Alot of custom work, which is cool in one regard but frustrating in the other.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I think a fun toy would be one of the 84-86 diesel survivors, maybe even go with an aluminum flat bed tray. It would be cool looking and really capable.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I had a T-100 for 14 years. I now own a Gen-1 Tundra and a Gen 2. (I also have an FJC and have had a Sequoia, FJ80 and numerous Toy and Lexus passenger cars)

Gen 1 Doublecab is still just the right size, love the 4.7, love the 6+' bed. Really great overall trucks. Turning radius kinda' sucks but otherwise it's close to perfect.

T100 was very beloved but just too under-powered for massive mountains.

Gen 2 Crewmax Limited is kind of like a luxury Land Cruiser with more room and a pick-up bed. Love the 5.7. Funny how I tried them new and wasn't enamored. Then, saw a smokin' deal on a gently-used one and really liked it. Snatched it up. Surprisingly nimble for such a big lug of a vehicle.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I had a T-100 for 14 years. I now own a Gen-1 Tundra and a Gen 2. (I also have an FJC and have had a Sequoia, FJ80 and numerous Toy and Lexus passenger cars)

Gen 1 Doublecab is still just the right size, love the 4.7, love the 6+' bed. Really great overall trucks. Turning radius kinda' sucks but otherwise it's close to perfect.

T100 was very beloved but just too under-powered for massive mountains.

Gen 2 Crewmax Limited is kind of like a luxury Land Cruiser with more room and a pick-up bed. Love the 5.7. Funny how I tried them new and wasn't enamored. Then, saw a smokin' deal on a gently-used one and really liked it. Snatched it up. Surprisingly nimble for such a big lug of a vehicle.

I agree on the T100, that was one of the reasons I sold mine. I was lucky enough to have the 3.4 v6 in mine. It was bad but not as bad as the 3.0. They are so well built! Thank you HINO. I almost went Gen 2 tundra but went with a 2500 ram tradesmen w/the power wagon package. The truck is a beast. I love it. Its great at high altitudes, can climb over anything and pretty much can anywhere, as long as its wide enough.
I think the big trucks get a bad rap. They have alot of great qualities. With all that being said, show me the right mid 80's Toyota or 3.4 T100 and I would snatch it in a heartbeat

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I agree on the T100, that was one of the reasons I sold mine. I was lucky enough to have the 3.4 v6 in mine. It was bad but not as bad as the 3.0. They are so well built! Thank you HINO. I almost went Gen 2 tundra but went with a 2500 ram tradesmen w/the power wagon package. The truck is a beast. I love it. Its great at high altitudes, can climb over anything and pretty much can anywhere, as long as its wide enough.
I think the big trucks get a bad rap. They have alot of great qualities. With all that being said, show me the right mid 80's Toyota or 3.4 T100 and I would snatch it in a heartbeat

You know I love the PW.

FJR Colorado

Explorer

I had a '95 extended cab DX with the 3.4. Really loved. it. Turned me into a Toyhead for life. Still might be the best stock ground clearance Toyota has ever had.

I could have been killed in it TWICE by numbnuts who hit me head-on on twisty mountain roads. Walked away twice. Rebuilt it and kept going.

People rave about Toyota reliability, which is valid. I have learned the hard way that they are very safe as well.

If I had enough parking spots, I'd have never let it go. Be well, T100 wherever you are....

jgallo1

Adventurer
I had a '95 extended cab DX with the 3.4. Really loved. it. Turned me into a Toyhead for life. Still might be the best stock ground clearance Toyota has ever had.

I could have been killed in it TWICE by numbnuts who hit me head-on on twisty mountain roads. Walked away twice. Rebuilt it and kept going.

People rave about Toyota reliability, which is valid. I have learned the hard way that they are very safe as well.

If I had enough parking spots, I'd have never let it go. Be well, T100 wherever you are....
Thats whats amazing about the T100, its like 11" of true ground clearance stock. Just add some decent shocks to help with dampening when driving offroad and its good to go.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I had an '83 short bed, swapped in 20R from a Celica GT. It rusted in half. Always wanted an '85 4x4, 22RE, 5 speed, single cab, short bed. So does everyone else apparently and I'm not going to pony up the cash, so...

bkg

Explorer
I've owned about 60 toyotas... so I'm either an expert or my judgement is not to be trusted. :D

I've always wanted to build a T100... SAS, V8, flip the bed sides to extend the wheelbase... I used to call the idea "TOW-100." Owned a 96 for a while, and I found it to be a nice size for what I needed at the time.

I'm not sure there is a "Perfect" Toyota.

My favorites that I've owned, in no particular order: 85 4Runner, 86 xcab (SAS/4.3), 96 4Runner, 93 xcab, 04 dcab, 06 tundra dcab, 04 tacoma xcab... shoot...I'll stop before this list gets dumb... lol :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior