Thoughts 255/80/17 KM2s on 4th Gen 4Runner?

cbradley

Adventurer
So my time with the 285/70/17 KM2s are quickly coming to an end on my 4Runner. I figure I have about 6 months of tread life left. I have been considering going to a narrower tire to ease rubbing on the UCAs and to make room for snow chains. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the 255/80/17s on a 4th Gen 4Runner?

lexwoody

Adventurer
My friend who I wheeled wi9th "FireGuy" on here has them and he has nothing but good things to say about them. I have the 255/75R17. They are easy on gas and work hard on the trail. 2 years now and they been thru hell and still haven't pop one yet. Knock on wood. Tread life is wonderful too. I installed 1.25" spacers and I believe I can get some low profile/limited clerance chains on the front as well with these tires. The 255/80 are my next step.

ScottyDog

Adventurer
I run BFG KM2s in 255/85-16 on my FJZ80 with 1.25 spacers and black steelies... I really like them. I first got it with 315's but without gears I didn't like the strain on the tranny and was sometimes tough to turn in certain terrain...

Also, my brother runs the same tire on his 60 as does my son on his 62. So everyone has the same size spares in case we have multiple flats.... funny thing is haven't had one yet. [[knock on wood]]

ScottyDog

Adventurer
My friend who I wheeled wi9th "FireGuy" on here has them and he has nothing but good things to say about them. I have the 255/75R17. They are easy on gas and work hard on the trail. 2 years now and they been thru hell and still haven't pop one yet. Knock on wood. Tread life is wonderful too. I installed 1.25" spacers and I believe I can get some low profile/limited clerance chains on the front as well with these tires. The 255/80 are my next step.

Lexwoody... man you got one bad *** GX470! :drool:

Tim A

Adventurer
I've got that size on my Tacoma and I like them. Haven't taken them off pavement yet, though. I had to trim quite a bit (~2" front lift) but since you're coming from 285s you've probably already done that!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
No direct experience with the 17-inch version, but since the 255/80 is so similar to the 16-inch 255/85 I can't see any reason to not like/try them. You have experience with the KM2 tread pattern, so what's not to like. I think you can read all the threads/posts about the differences between the 285 & 255 tires (on 16” wheels) and gain valuable input. Only the wheel diameter is different, and unless I'm missing something, it's a small, unimportant difference.

snip...Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the 255/80/17s on a 4th Gen 4Runner?

cbradley

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I was already strongly leaning toward them, but figured I would pose the question to the experts before making a decision...:sombrero:

shantsn

do you already have a lift installed? because im thinking of getting the same size tire, and am planning on lifting my fj 2-3"s and was wondering if they would fit.

cbradley

Adventurer
do you already have a lift installed? because im thinking of getting the same size tire, and am planning on lifting my fj 2-3"s and was wondering if they would fit.

I have about 3 inches of lift in the front and about 2 inches in the rear (Icon kit). The front 285s rub on what is left of the front mud flaps and on what is left of the plastic air dam under the front pumper. I also have a little rubbing on the UCAs and on the frame, both at full turn.

I can send you pictures that more fully detail where everything rubs if you want to see.

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
does the narrower tires roll? where the wider 285 have more footing?

I'm not sure I understand your exact question, but I think I got a general idea of what you were asking. In most instances where flotation or lateral resistance is not key, the narrower tread should offer more traction. Scott Brady has a thoroughly researched paper on tread widths that might answer your question. It is what got me looking at a narrower tire. My apologies if I misunderstood your question.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

zidaro

Explorer
the narrower tire will track better on the highway.
Your UCA rubbing is from too much positive offset on your rim (thinking your running the stockers) add a .25" spacer or change your rims and that will go away

MTDewX8

Observer
I'm not sure I understand your exact question, but I think I got a general idea of what you were asking. In most instances where flotation or lateral resistance is not key, the narrower tread should offer more traction. Scott Brady has a thoroughly researched paper on tread widths that might answer your question. It is what got me looking at a narrower tire. My apologies if I misunderstood your question.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

yes I think you got the idea.

I will try and clarify better. a whider tire will give you more lateral support and I think it would give you less roll side to side.
as a taller skinner tire and taller side wall will I think roll side to side more. not that we have road performance rigs for the twisties. I just know when I had my F350 crew didn't have 10 ply tires it was terible in the corners.

anyway I like the idea of a 255. I was thinking about going with the 265-75-16 instead of the 70's.
can't go to tall or wide cause I have no lift yet. and when I do I will only go like 2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94