Thought on this rig- 80" popup on a 5.5' Tundra bed?

4DBaja

Hey everyone,

I know this question has been discussed and I did some informative research on the topic here, but I would really appreciate any input on this setup. I've got a Lite-Craft full pop up (80" floor, 1025# empty) and am looking to put it on an '15 Tundra Crew Cab with a 5.5" bed.

The truck bed is 66" and about 86" overall with the tailgate down, Is 14" of overhang (no tailgate) doable with this rig? I know the angle of departure isn't optimal, but would be setting the truck up with an OME 614 lift of about 2.5", rim/tire upgrade and could add airbags or extra leafs if needed. Of course I would load it as weight forward as possible.
Would it be better to leave the tailgate on for more support? The tailgate extends about 6"-7" further than the popup

I have the camper already and the truck is available at a good price. The truck would also be a D.D., and the crew cab would be great for the wife and kids. Most the camping is just my son and I, and all off-road/dispersed/baja style. We aren't hard core rock crawlers, we just want a solid rig that will get us and our gear to where we want to go for fishing/hunting/surf/Baja. I've been using a FJ60 and 62 landcruiser to do this for the last 30+ years, but I'm a little out of my depth on popups and pickups.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Greg

Last edited:

mkish

Adventurer
The acceptable hangover depends on the camper. I have an 8' camper hanging off a (regular) shortbed but the camper was designed for it. On yours, the COG might be too far back or the camper might not be structurally capable of dangling (or it might be fine!). Can you find a brochure for the camper that might help?

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd be more worried about staying under my payload rating...lol.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Look for a DoubleCab Tundra if possible, their is enough room in the rear seat for a human, and you get a decent sized box. A few suspensions tweaks (you can choose how economical or gonzo you really want to get), and you'll be just fine. Fully loaded for adventure, we are running about 2000 pounds, and the truck has absolutely no issues hauling the weight, or slowing down. I replaced all my suspension with better heavier duty components (Dakar leaf packs, airbags on cradles, and ADS Racing HD coilovers up front and their gonzo shocks out back. I also added the TRD sway bar for better on road cornering manners), and am running 35" E-Rated tires. The camper has been on the truck for 95% of the past four years, and we've take her some pretty great out of the way places, and I can't find enough good things to say about our Tundra. (Sorry for the blurry screenshot pic, it's all I could find right now)

Attachments

• 20201226_155306.jpg
    20201226_155306.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier