Thought for guys running vehicle axles under trailers

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I was sitting next to a guy on the way home running a nice trailer made from a jeep tub with the stock amc 20 under it. This was a nice rig with a kayak rack up top. Looking at the pinion as he took off got me to thinking.
I had a lot of friends runing circle track stuff growing up and several of them used a pinion mount alternator.

I was thinking that a pinion mount alternator as a charging system for the guys running vehicle axle under their trailers might be a great idea. Just thought i'd throw it out there as it could charge a couple of 6v deep cycle batteries easily without having to run large wires from one end of the truck to the other.

Plus I figured that a lot of people have never seen a setup like this.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
That sounds pretty interesting. I would like to know more about that set up. I bet you would get more responses if you moved it to the Aux. Power section. I'll be checking back. Very interesting.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
That is a kick but Ideaer. I may have to try that with my Scrambler trailer. I left the AMC 20 in it so I could have the spare parts if the heep broke out in the middle of no where. That would be another reason to have it lol. :victory:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Its neat in concept... I'd love to see it put to use on an overland trailer setup.

I considered leaving a LC axle under my trailer for about a bit... but everytime I gave it serious thought, it just didn't make sense. Sure it can equal some spare parts, but spare shafts are the only thing useful IMO, and not only are they easy to carry as a spare, but you wouldn't have to leave your trailer behind either. I guess I didn't feel comfortable designing a "ruined" weekend into my setup? For some it might be a practicle option, in that case the pinion mounted alternator might be.

Michael Slade

Untitled
When I was building my trailer I had the option of putting a real LR axle complete with 3rd member on it. I had even considered just such an alternator/diff arrangement.

I was quickly talked out of it, shown the fact that a LOT of rocks, mud, dirt, dust, grime, salt, etc... literally sandblast your rear axle. Take a look at the underside of your truck sometime and tell me you want an alternator that really *has* to work exposed to that brutal punishment.

It would be interesting to see how it could work, but IMO, you would be better off with a high-output alternator and just using a coupler and extension back to your trailer. That's what I did with mine.

Remember, it's just my opinion...

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
On your truck you have to contend with a driveshaft coming in to the diff. Under the trailer there is no such animal. You could mount a skid under the arrangement with a large lip on the front to shield the alternator from debris and most water. There are so many ways to go about it if you got creative. I just thought it was an interesting concept that a lot of people have probably never been exposed to.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Oh it's definitely creative, and yeah, if you can figure out a way to make it work, then I wouldn't discourage it.

I just know on the tube-axle on my trailer it is sandblasted to death. The thought of having an alternator back there sounds like a hassle.

oldcj5guy said:
On your truck you have to contend with a driveshaft coming in to the diff. Under the trailer there is no such animal. You could mount a skid under the arrangement with a large lip on the front to shield the alternator from debris and most water. There are so many ways to go about it if you got creative. I just thought it was an interesting concept that a lot of people have probably never been exposed to.

TheGillz

Explorer
Do they make simpler generators of current? I'm thinking something like what you mount to a bike tire to run the headlight might be more ammune to damage. Something with sealed gears/generator?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
TheGillz said:
Do they make simpler generators of current? I'm thinking something like what you mount to a bike tire to run the headlight might be more ammune to damage. Something with sealed gears/generator?

If you did not need or want brakes on the trailer you could do something like the Racemate alternator in place of the brake drum(s).

Generally an alternator wants to spin 6000-9000 rpm for best efficiency. Not that they don't work at lower speeds, they just don't usually produce what the label says that they can at lower speeds. Might be able to fit a crank pulley inside the wheel and overdrive the alternator with a v-belt - all inside of the wheel & potentially above the spindle. I'll guess that at least a 1:5 ratio is needed.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94